Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:14:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mr. Lucky begins to mine...  (Read 3899 times)
NihilCredo (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 08:27:06 AM

Mr. Luck "Lucky Bastard" L. Lucky von und zu Luckerton LVCXI is a punk who feels lucky today (like every other day in his life). He generates a BitCoin address, and activates the inbuilt mining program.

Mr. Lucky possesses this shockingly unexpected trait: whenever he uses a random or pseudo-random number generator (whether he runs it himself or someone else does it for him), he always gets the best possible outcome.

How fast will Mr. Lucky accumulate BitCoins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
genjix
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 08:42:42 AM

As fast as it takes to compute 1 hash theoretically...
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 08:55:40 AM

He'll get all of them in less than an hour.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
NihilCredo (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 01:39:49 PM

Thanks.
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 04:17:29 PM

I'm somewhat amused by this thought. That it is theoretically possible that a Mr Lucky gets 15 million bitcoins overnight  Smiley

Anyone want to work out the probability of this happening? I imagine it's less than 1/((googolplex)^2)  Grin
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 06:10:24 PM

I'm somewhat amused by this thought. That it is theoretically possible that a Mr Lucky gets 15 million bitcoins overnight  Smiley

Anyone want to work out the probability of this happening? I imagine it's less than 1/((googolplex)^2)  Grin

It's unfortunate, he dies a death by lightning.

That evening, the lottery numbers are called.  The ticket on his refrigerator makes him a posthumous millionaire.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
draaglom

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 08:16:15 PM

If my calculations are correct, the odds are around (1/(1.0043516 × 10^59))^15000000 (which Wolfram tells me is 10^-(10^8.95))

In contrast, the odds of being struck by lightning are around 1/750000 - therefore* it is more likely that you will be hit by lightning 150,641,541 times.

*With a little napkin-maths license
Hal
VIP
expert

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 10:24:02 PM

He'll get all of them in less than an hour.
What about difficulty adjustments though? Difficulty will increase by a factor of 4 every 2016 blocks. Current difficulty is > 32000 or 2^15, plus the implied 32 bits for an actual value of 2^47, ie 47 bits of zeroes at the front of the hash. We add 2 more zeroes every 2016 blocks, so after 105 such adjustments, the target will be all zeroes!

However, I peeked at the code, and even an all-zero target can be met with an all-zero hash. So theymos is right, Mr Lucky (who I think has an infinitely fast computer in his pocket) can go all the way, as fast as the net can broadcast blocks.

Hal Finney
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 10:36:22 PM

So theymos is right, Mr Lucky (who I think has an infinitely fast computer in his pocket) can go all the way, as fast as the net can broadcast blocks.

Rumor has it he stole an Infinite Improbability Drive.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
theGECK

Activity: 411
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 10:41:43 PM

So theymos is right, Mr Lucky (who I think has an infinitely fast computer in his pocket) can go all the way, as fast as the net can broadcast blocks.

Rumor has it he stole an Infinite Improbability Drive.

Well, that would make this whole situation highly probable, then. Every time he turned it on.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 10:45:46 PM

However, I peeked at the code, and even an all-zero target can be met with an all-zero hash. So theymos is right, Mr Lucky (who I think has an infinitely fast computer in his pocket) can go all the way, as fast as the net can broadcast blocks.
He'd get them as fast as his client can write blocks to the disk.
Difficulty adjustments would be irrelevant, so would network latency be since the network would just slowly catch up after the fact.

xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 01:25:53 AM

He'd get them as fast as his client can write blocks to the disk.
Difficulty adjustments would be irrelevant, so would network latency be since the network would just slowly catch up after the fact.

Difficulty adjustments would be relevant to the calculations of just how lucky he is, but wouldn't have any affect on how fast he would obtain all the remaining coins.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 01:47:08 AM

Hmmm...

Thinking a little more, Mr. Lucky will have some coding to do.  Blocks are indexed based on their hash, so when he generates that second all-zero hash he's going to have trouble with the current implementation.  Actually, he'll have trouble before then, because if the target is low enough there won't be enough unique hashes...

(and before somebody asks: YES, there is a very small chance that two blocks will be found with the same hash.  And NO, that is NOT a problem that needs to be solved, it is so improbable it is not worth worrying about).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Stefan Thomas

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 05:50:47 AM

Thinking a little more, Mr. Lucky will have some coding to do.

Technically, he wouldn't have to code anything. He could just run...

Code:
sh /dev/urandom

... and it would do all the coding for him.

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3
gim

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 05:01:21 PM

Code:
sh /dev/urandom

[/quote]

ahahaha!

But maybe Mr Lucky would have more fun stealing bitcoins than generating them.
Same piece of code though...

xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 05:16:10 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2011, 07:34:24 PM by xenon481

Code:
sh /dev/urandom

ahahaha!

But maybe Mr Lucky would have more fun stealing bitcoins than generating them.
Same piece of code though...

Very true, since he could find all the private keys that have any BTC associated with them.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
gim

Activity: 90

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 05:37:40 PM

Code:
gim $ sh /dev/urandom
/dev/urandom: /dev/urandom: cannot execute binary file

For sure, I'm not Mr Lucky.

Strange kind of lottery.
More chances to trash your computer than to win anything.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2011, 08:19:58 PM

./dev/urandom might be faster and more efficient than sh /dev/urandom.

(Or should that be exec /dev/urandom? I have been awake too long.)

I am not entirely convinced his dying of radiation poisoning would be the best possible outcome, since obviously that would, rather, be for a glitch in his system to cause him to generate for me instead of for him(*). So actually sorry he would earn no bitcoins other than however many I decide to tip him for grabbing me all the bitcoins.

(*) Plus the hashes when decoded correctly would be some awesome insight or immortality formula or something...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
DataSurfer

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 12:12:23 AM

Mr. Lucky may be inclined to give away all of his bitcoin because he already wins all lotteries.  Including the fake international lotteries you get in your spam folder.  Not to mention he knows all government secrets, can read everyone's emails, and listen to everyone's skype conversations.
wb3

Activity: 112

^Check Out^ Isle 3

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 12:19:06 AM

In contrast, the odds of being struck by lightning are around 1/750000 - therefore* it is more likely that you will be hit by lightning 150,641,541 times

Good Old Benjamin Franklin learned how to decrease those odds.  Grin

Net Worth = 0.10    Hah, "Net" worth Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: