Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:31:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fidelity not allowing Bitcoin  (Read 1849 times)
MikeyVeez (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:51:28 PM

They just pulled the plug on Bitcoin.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/12/12/fidelity-halts-bitcoin-investments-from-iras/

OIKOS.CASH      Decentralized finance on Tron   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Collateral-backed stable-coins
         github  telegram    twitter    discord           synthetic asset trading and trustless token exchange on TRON
oxxymoronn

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 08:13:36 PM

So they are increasing the barrier to entry to investment for the common man, yet leaving the door wide open for the wealthy to take advantage.

clone4501

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:58:35 PM

Fidelity's move is no surprise. Bitcoin is still a persona non grata to the US investment and banking institutions.
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:05:37 PM

Ironically just 10 minutes back I was browsing SecondMarket's website and reading about the IRA's to go live in first quarter of 2014.
Let's see how long Wall Street's gotta wait.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
I_bitcoin

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:28:41 PM

I just spoke with a reliable source at Fidelity.

"They are still reviewing and don't have a timeframe"   They certainly were not closing doors to this.   It sounds like a few "beta" customers are in place right now.

No matter where you go, there you are.
Desensitizer

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:20:16 AM

This doesn't seem like too much of a surprise. In its current state bitcoins are fairly unstable in price, and IRA's/mutual funds want much more long term stability and reliable growth. Bitcoins just don't really match the profile that Fidelity wants to offer. Hopefully you guys are right though that they are still considering it.
jzcjca00

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:56:51 PM

I was thinking about this thread when I recently told a representative of Fidelity's Portfolio Advisory Services that I'm not unhappy with them, but I want more exposure to bitcoin in my Roth IRA, and Fidelity doesn't seem to provide a way to get that exposure, so I'm transferring a portion of my funds to a self-directed IRA LLC.

I could have saved a bunch of money in taxes if I had learned earlier that it is already possible to invest directly in bitcoin in retirement accounts.  We don't need SecondMarket or the Winklevoss ETF.  For about $1500 and a modest amount of effort, anyone can set up a self-directed IRA, which invests in your own IRA LLC, which invests directly in bitcoins.

Soon I'll have bitcoins in my Roth IRA, growing completely free of capital gains taxes.  And the side benefit was that I politely told Fidelity that they are losing actual business by not providing an easy way to invest retirement funds in bitcoin.  If they turn around and start a bitcoin mutual fund, I'll be expecting a lot of you to be thanking me!  Smiley

More info on self-directed IRA LLCs at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=396783.0

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:23:53 PM

Someway predicted, it still need sometime for bitcoins to be used in investments and few debates and conflicts to pass through. also for some stability in price.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 02:32:02 PM

I was thinking about this thread when I recently told a representative of Fidelity's Portfolio Advisory Services that I'm not unhappy with them, but I want more exposure to bitcoin in my Roth IRA, and Fidelity doesn't seem to provide a way to get that exposure, so I'm transferring a portion of my funds to a self-directed IRA LLC.

I could have saved a bunch of money in taxes if I had learned earlier that it is already possible to invest directly in bitcoin in retirement accounts.  We don't need SecondMarket or the Winklevoss ETF.  For about $1500 and a modest amount of effort, anyone can set up a self-directed IRA, which invests in your own IRA LLC, which invests directly in bitcoins.

Soon I'll have bitcoins in my Roth IRA, growing completely free of capital gains taxes.  And the side benefit was that I politely told Fidelity that they are losing actual business by not providing an easy way to invest retirement funds in bitcoin.  If they turn around and start a bitcoin mutual fund, I'll be expecting a lot of you to be thanking me!  Smiley

More info on self-directed IRA LLCs at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=396783.0

nice to know but soon Fidelity and others will change their mind.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:32:40 PM

Fidelity doesn't want business?  Shocked
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: