Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:10:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lighter Version of Bitcoind?  (Read 373 times)
bardi.harborow (OP)

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:03:11 PM

I'm posting here because the Newbie section gets a *lot* of traffic. Quick question, has anyone made a fork of bitcoind that doesn't download the blockchain before the latest checkpoint, but instead just has a copy of the unspent outputs list. Hosting bitcoind on a server wastes 11GB and I'd prefer that it was more like 2GB. Even better, why not make an electrum based bitcoind.

If these don't exist, would the community have any appetite for such a thing. Just for example, a lighter bitcoind would allow pools to have servers in more regions without having to pay for quite as many storage costs. And of course, pool servers closer to the end user means less stales!

If anyone is interested in helping me develop this, I'm up for it!
artw1982

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:23:16 PM

I'd be interested in such a client. I'd also be interested in the development aspect. I am a VIP MSDN Developer with a fairly generous Windows Azure allotment that could help scale development and provide servers across the world with ease. I personally prefer .Net development, mainly because there isn't any .Net clients available. I suppose if you wouldn't be up to .Net I could contribute to a C++ client.
bardi.harborow (OP)

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:39:02 PM

I was thinking we could modify bitcoind (C or C++, can't remember) first and then move on to .Net. One disclaimer, I'm not very good at C or .Net, I'm more of your interpreted language guy, but I'm willing to learn. I'll send you a PM with contact details if you are interested.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: