Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:11:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which symbol do you like best?
฿ - 203 (42.3%)
- 35 (7.3%)
- 69 (14.4%)
Ƀ - 97 (20.2%)
¤ - 1 (0.2%)
None of the above - 75 (15.6%)
Total Voters: 476

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Bitcoin Unicode Character?  (Read 83804 times)
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 03:35:11 AM

I suggest a character representative of symbol for Bitcoin currency be submitted to http://unicode.org/pending/proposals.html
FYI, they won't accept it until there is significant real-world adoption of the symbol.

If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hook

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2011, 04:15:04 PM

Script Capital B  (since you are documenting all the cool things that look like a B)

Of the current options I like this one the most.

But I also agree that what we should aim for is a new symbol — I imagine a blocky thing that looks something between a B and 8 would be nice.

quickly bodged up:
Code:
####
#  #
###
#  #
####
mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2011, 08:01:29 PM

I suggest a character representative of symbol for Bitcoin currency be submitted to http://unicode.org/pending/proposals.html
FYI, they won't accept it until there is significant real-world adoption of the symbol.

Indeed. As I noted on another thread, it took a year and a half for the euro currency symbol € to be put into Unicode, and that was an "official" government currency. Piggyback on stuff that already exists.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
Alcoholocaust

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 02:39:18 PM

Like I said in the other symbol thread, Ⓑ seems superior (and it is somewhat disappointing that it received so few votes Sad )

it is relatively easy to read and not yet used for any other currency.

ⓑ would be my second personal favorite, but it seems a bit harder to read on small screens
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2011, 09:11:03 PM

Like I said in the other symbol thread, Ⓑ seems superior (and it is somewhat disappointing that it received so few votes Sad )

it is relatively easy to read and not yet used for any other currency.

ⓑ would be my second personal favorite, but it seems a bit harder to read on small screens

Since both Ⓑ and ⓑ were listed as separate choices, unfortunately, that means that votes by people who supported a "b" or "B" inside a circle were split.  A better voting system would have used multiple stages (whereby the choice with the least number of votes was removed between each stage), or would have allowed people to rank their votes first and then automatically perform multi-stage voting.  The results of the above poll should by no means be taken as any sort of formal decision by the bitcoin community.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 10, 2011, 09:42:52 PM

I believe this election was rigged.

However, even if you add up both of the circled-characters, they still didn't beat the ฿

Wink

To me, the fact that the ฿ is already an existing unicode character, adds about 20 brownie points to that choice.
Mahkul

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
January 10, 2011, 09:53:24 PM

However, even if you add up both of the circled-characters, they still didn't beat the ฿

Wink

To me, the fact that the ฿ is already an existing unicode character, adds about 20 brownie points to that choice.

Once we grow big enough, we will just push on the Thai government to change their symbol. Smiley
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2011, 11:24:16 PM

Wink

Agree to Bruce and many others.
I think we all could re-focus on other cool and promising projects and just take this character.. and move on..

I also like the fun behind creativity and discussion, but after a couiple of weeks, we should be able to lock this and move on (just my personal POV, feel free to continue debating as this is an open forum)

em3rgentOrdr

Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2011, 11:47:53 PM

A great man once said,

"The only real standard is a defacto standard."

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2011, 12:05:06 AM

I live in Mexico, where the symbol for MXN (Mexican pesos) is $, same as USD. In everydaylife, this causes no problem, since there's no ambiguity: everything is written in pesos, you pay in pesos, you charge in pesos. From time to time, though, there's an ambiguity about whether the price is in USD or in MXN, especially in "international" zones (airports, touristic places, a whole big part of the Internet, etc.). When I first arrived at the airport, I found the price for losing one's "forma migratoria" ($80 or $100 IIRC) very high, until I realized it was Mexican pesos. Also, on an art website I'm doing (http://plaztika.com), prices are in Mexican pesos, and I can't use the $ symbol because it would be ambiguous. Some French artists will join the website soon and will have prices in EUR, and in that case I'll be able to use €, but for prices in pesos, I'll have to stick to "MXN", which means concretely that the $ symbol cannot be used. Same for any future artwork sold in American dollars, I'll need to use "USD" or "dollars". Sad but true. I've been hating this long before I heard about Bitcoins, so this is not a tweaked argument.

The same situation could happen if ฿ were used for both BTC and THB (Thai Bath): it will work as long as there's no ambiguity (e.g. here on this forum), but for example on that art website I won't be able to use it ever.

So it's fine by me if people start using ฿, but it will be only a partial feature. While it's still time to choose, let's be more clever than that.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2011, 01:32:57 PM

Meh. I'm sticking with ⓑ and BTC until I see something better.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 06:32:23 PM

I think ⓑ could cause confusion in Boston...   as it could be mistaken for the logo for the Boston Bruins (see http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=27 )

And since 1.00 THB = 0.0329327 USD, I think the beautiful wonderful Buddhist people of Thailand will be very happy indeed if you pay them in BTC instead of THB.   Smiley
ElectricGoat

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2011, 06:34:39 PM

You'd rather borrow a symbol used by an entire country than one used by a Boston sports team ?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 10:11:47 PM

The confusion of residents in Boston is even less material to what we do than the confusion of residents of an entire nation, or several.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
bittersweet

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 10:24:57 PM

Besides sports team logo is used in other context than currency symbols, so you can't really confuse it.
If I would have to choose already existing symbol, I would probably choose Ⓑ because it looks similar to the unofficial logo.

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 07:58:46 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2020, 10:10:37 PM by LZ

I just found this thread. Smiley What about B⃦? It is Unicode 6.0 - so you need supported typeface like GNU FreeFont.
Just set FreeMono as a fixed-width typeface, FreeSans as a sans-serif typeface and FreeSerif as a serif typeface.

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
davux

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2011, 08:50:00 PM

What about B⃦?
Examples:
Code:
0.01 B⃦TC

B⃦100

Yeah. Like it. I especially like the "B⃦TC" form, since it kind of degrades to "BTC" when the COMBINING DOUBLE VERTICAL STROKE OVERLAY (a.k.a. U+20E6) character cannot be interpreted.

There's also room for a dedicated character (range U+20b9 to U+20CF, see http://www.utf8-zeichentabelle.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl?start=8320). I think that should be the goal. Does anybody know what the criteria for insertion into Unicode are?

FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2011, 09:12:05 PM

Does anybody know what the criteria for insertion into Unicode are?
Pretty sure this thread has covered the question.

What about placement of the symbol. I prefer it after the price. For example, 20.11ⓑ. And that, actually, has me leaning more towards not bothering with a symbol and just sticking with BTC. Eventually, deflation will have us using centi, milli, and micro bitcoins. Denoting them as cBTC, mBTC, and uBTC respectively. Doing so with any currency symbol just doesn't look right.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 10:43:41 PM

What about placement of the symbol.

Personally I'd like to use the symbol instead of the decimal point. You can see this sometimes on electronic circuit diagrams where a 4.7k ohm resistor is labelled 4k7 so that there's no confusion due to missed decimal points.

That solution also covers the situation of very large units being needed. So, if we used "m" for a milli-bitcoin and "u" for a micro-bitcoin, we could have denominations such as 2m50, 7504b25 or 400u.

Of course this notation will never fly with the average Joe, so I'm not proposing it seriously.
davux

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2011, 10:47:02 PM

Of course this notation will never fly with the average Joe, so I'm not proposing it seriously.

In France, I've often seen prices in euros written this way, e.g. 12€50.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: