Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:04:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which symbol do you like best?
฿ - 203 (42.3%)
- 35 (7.3%)
- 69 (14.4%)
Ƀ - 97 (20.2%)
¤ - 1 (0.2%)
None of the above - 75 (15.6%)
Total Voters: 476

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Bitcoin Unicode Character?  (Read 83804 times)
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
July 15, 2010, 03:02:28 AM

I suggest a character representative of symbol for Bitcoin currency be submitted to http://unicode.org/pending/proposals.html

฿ doesn't seem to be worthy considering it already is well established as Thai baht (currency).
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitcoiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 15, 2010, 03:15:04 AM

What's wrong with BTC or BTC$?
Still, no harm in it I guess. Any idea on a cool character? Perhaps the omega character?

Want to thank me for this post? Donate here! Flip your coins over to: 13Cq8AmdrqewatRxEyU2xNuMvegbaLCvEe  Smiley
denger

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2010, 03:42:18 AM

I suggest a character representative of symbol for Bitcoin currency be submitted to http://unicode.org/pending/proposals.html

฿ doesn't seem to be worthy considering it already is well established as Thai baht (currency).

Thats a great idea! Anyone can think of a image representing independence?
Bitcoiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 15, 2010, 04:16:15 AM

Thats a great idea! Anyone can think of a image representing independence?

The omega would be interesting, but maybe that's just cause I remember it from an old game... Was it Populous? Wink

Perhaps we can come up with something representing the digital nature of the currency; perhaps a play on the word "bit" or something similar.

Want to thank me for this post? Donate here! Flip your coins over to: 13Cq8AmdrqewatRxEyU2xNuMvegbaLCvEe  Smiley
EricJ2190

Activity: 134
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 15, 2010, 04:27:19 AM

Maybe a circled B, kind of like the favicon here?
mizerydearia (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2010, 05:16:30 AM

A B with two lines through it without the circle may be a bit confusing or too similar to the Thai currency considering the US$ symbol is sometimes used with one or two lines.  So additionally a circle around it like the icon used with the client and also the favicon used at this site seems like a good idea.
mizerydearia (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2010, 07:09:23 AM

http://unicode.org/pending/proposals.html#Interim_Solutions

There are ways for programmers and scholarly organizations to make use of Unicode character encoding, even if the script they want to use or transmit is not yet (or may never be) part of the Unicode Standard. Individual groups that make use of rare scripts or special characters can reach a private agreement about interchange and set aside part of the Private Use Area to encode their private set of characters. Individuals with interests in rare scripts or materials relating to them may sometimes be contacted through an electronic mail list which the Consortium maintains.  For information about these mail lists, please contact the Unicode office.
NewLibertyStandard

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2010, 08:25:07 AM

My vote is still for ฿ Grin Bitcoins are worth more than the Thai baht! Shocked Considering how many people use $, we certainly deserve to be able to use ฿.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
ArtemZ

Activity: 26

View Profile
July 18, 2010, 01:29:00 AM

You cannot and should not just steal symbol from existing official currency of independent country.
I vote for omega 
mizerydearia (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2010, 01:54:15 AM

Since this is an open source project, would it be acceptable for individuals to take initiative amongst themselves to develop a kind of committee to put forth effort into deciding upon how to officially represent Bitcoins with a particular symbol or should we instead rely on Satoshi Nakamoto as authority over determining this type of establishment within Bitcoin?
NewLibertyStandard

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2010, 02:24:08 AM

You cannot and should not just steal symbol from existing official currency of independent country.
I vote for omega 
It's only stealing if you're depriving the other person of their possession. It's sharing and sharing is caring. Seriously, who's it hurting? If anything, it promotes Thailand and the Thai baht. I certainly had never heard of the baht before I chose it as the symbol for bitcoins. Does a baby in Thailand go hungry every time I use the baht symbol to represent bitcoins? Is the Thailand government going to sue me for using "their" symbol? Bring it!

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
mtp

Activity: 7

View Profile
July 18, 2010, 02:50:52 AM

I believe the Baht symbol is the best option for Bitcoin denotation however would recommend a small change, ฿C for BitCoin instead of just ฿.

This would allow for differentiation of the two easily should they ever be listed side by side and is the same setup as the Nicaraguan córdoba which uses the US $ in its currency symbolism written as C$

For long hand (eg. those who can't type the Baht symbol for some reason) the use of BTC can be used in place of the ฿C as no currency in place currently makes use of BTC as the long hand for their currency (eg. USD for US Dollar, GBP for British Pound, etc...).

Examples:

50฿C/month
50 BTC/month
Hepatizon

Activity: 16

View Profile
July 19, 2010, 03:47:08 AM

I propose something along these lines:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8840/bitcoinlogodraft.png          http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6006/bitcoinlogodraftii.png

A C (or stylized C) with something representing a bit inside.  At some point an actual fontist / graphic designer would need to work on it, though.
Anonymous

July 19, 2010, 04:21:11 AM

How about the number 8 with a slash through it?Like this

8 bits=1 byte
UTF-8 (which uses one byte)  
8 is the luckiest number with the chinese population.
8 is an infinite closed loop like bitcoins.

It is similar enough to a B but it differs from the baht symbol.

Also $ symbolises a broken monetary system while a closed 8 is  not broken.

Hepatizon

Activity: 16

View Profile
July 19, 2010, 05:47:36 AM

My only concern with the slashed-8 is that at first glance it looks a lot like slash-S $.  S and 8 are only one small line apart, and putting the line down the middle makes them look even closer.  That, and an 8 would work better for Bytecoins than Bitcoins.
NewLibertyStandard

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2010, 06:13:57 AM

A C (or stylized C) with something representing a bit inside.  At some point an actual fontist / graphic designer would need to work on it, though.
How about a power symbol rotated 90 degrees clockwise?

Anonymous

July 19, 2010, 06:23:46 AM

How about a power symbol rotated 90 degrees clockwise?

Apple might sue you for that  Cheesy
NewLibertyStandard

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2010, 06:29:18 AM

Apple uses the power symbol frequently, but it's an internationally recognized symbol, not an Apple symbol. It's defined as 'Standby' under IEC 5009 and 'Power' under IEEE 1621.

Anonymous

July 19, 2010, 08:13:42 AM

My only concern with the slashed-8 is that at first glance it looks a lot like slash-S $.  S and 8 are only one small line apart, and putting the line down the middle makes them look even closer.  That, and an 8 would work better for Bytecoins than Bitcoins.

Bytecoins could be bundles of 8 bitcoins . Smiley
teff

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 19, 2010, 09:20:55 AM

How about the number 8 with a slash through it?Like this

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x128/davehollis69/character.png

8 bits=1 byte
UTF-8 (which uses one byte)  
8 is the luckiest number with the chinese population.
8 is an infinite closed loop like bitcoins.

It is similar enough to a B but it differs from the baht symbol.

Also $ symbolises a broken monetary system while a closed 8 is  not broken.

Perhaps with the vertical line at an angle instead?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: