Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:26:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which symbol do you like best?
฿ - 203 (42.3%)
- 35 (7.3%)
- 69 (14.4%)
Ƀ - 97 (20.2%)
¤ - 1 (0.2%)
None of the above - 75 (15.6%)
Total Voters: 476

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Bitcoin Unicode Character?  (Read 83804 times)
Anonymous

July 19, 2010, 10:16:47 AM

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

July 19, 2010, 10:18:38 AM

The strike across 8 seems easier to write.It also doesnt resemble the dollar sign.
teff

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2010, 11:27:24 AM

The strike across 8 seems easier to write.It also doesnt resemble the dollar sign.

double lines?

https://i.imgur.com/MHofY.png
Anonymous

July 19, 2010, 01:01:31 PM

That looks like a butterfly.Bitcoin gives you wings?
D҉ataWraith

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2010, 04:00:36 PM

Is it just me or does that thing look like a badass snowman with a quarterstaff?  Grin

<3

1NvcPV6xi6yqo5yg8aWSkNdasPSAsGtt1m
Bitcoiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 19, 2010, 04:45:50 PM

The last one also looks like a sideways lemma, the symbol for infinity.

double lines?

Want to thank me for this post? Donate here! Flip your coins over to: 13Cq8AmdrqewatRxEyU2xNuMvegbaLCvEe  Smiley
Bitcoiner

View Profile
July 19, 2010, 04:47:43 PM

I am quite partial to something like this, actually. It really captures the digital nature of the currency.

I propose something along these lines:

A C (or stylized C) with something representing a bit inside.  At some point an actual fontist / graphic designer would need to work on it, though.

Want to thank me for this post? Donate here! Flip your coins over to: 13Cq8AmdrqewatRxEyU2xNuMvegbaLCvEe  Smiley
lachesis

Activity: 210
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 07:42:55 AM

If we can't have ฿, then that's my vote. I see no reason why we can't just steal the Baht's symbol - lots of people use the $, and usually without much trouble. We could also consider a more "open" symbol, like £ and €.

Bitcoin Calculator | Scallion | GPG Key | WoT Rating | 1QGacAtYA7E8V3BAiM7sgvLg7PZHk5WnYc
Babylon

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 07:48:11 AM

I am quite partial to something like this, actually. It really captures the digital nature of the currency.

I propose something along these lines:

A C (or stylized C) with something representing a bit inside.  At some point an actual fontist / graphic designer would need to work on it, though.

I like the C with the dots better than the one with the one and zero, I think it translates to teeny tiny size better.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
andrew

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 09:34:22 AM

Hi guys, I know I am late to the conversation but could you please not use the Thai baht symbol as it's very confusing for someone like me who actually lives in Thailand. You'd be making it extremely confusing to use BitCoins over here.

Also, why would you want to use an existing symbol rather then create your own cool new one? Grin All it does is dilute the meaning of both BitCoins and Thai Baht. These days you can load up true type fonts via css so it's not like you wouldn't be able to use the symbol anywhere on the site. At least choose a symbol that's not already a currency somewhere in the world.
Anonymous

July 21, 2010, 10:00:45 AM

couple more

NewLibertyStandard

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2010, 11:43:10 AM

Hi guys, I know I am late to the conversation but could you please not use the Thai baht symbol as it's very confusing for someone like me who actually lives in Thailand. You'd be making it extremely confusing to use BitCoins over here.

Also, why would you want to use an existing symbol rather then create your own cool new one? Grin All it does is dilute the meaning of both BitCoins and Thai Baht. These days you can load up true type fonts via css so it's not like you wouldn't be able to use the symbol anywhere on the site. At least choose a symbol that's not already a currency somewhere in the world.
I kinda like my rotated power symbol, but honestly I like the baht symbol better and I'm gonna keep using it. I'm sure the United States government would love to have exclusive rights to the dollar symbol, but they don't, so they share. If Bitcoin was named something different and and started with an S, then I would not get confused by using the $ symbol just like I'm not confused by other currencies that use the $ symbol. If two $ currencies are being compared or if someone thinks it will be unclear, then they use the three letter currency codes for clarity. My use of the BITCOIN ฿ symbol may confuse Huh you and your countrymen right now, but I'm sure if you keep at, you'll get it straight in no time. It's not calculus after all. Wink Wink

Edit: If everyone else is dead set on using another character, you should seriously consider this character. It's soooo cool.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
Anonymous

July 21, 2010, 11:57:28 AM

I kinda like my rotated power symbol, but honestly I like the baht symbol better and I'm gonna keep using it. I'm sure the United States government would love to have exclusive rights to the dollar symbol, but they don't, so they share. If Bitcoin was named something different and and started with an S, then I would not get confused by using the $ symbol just like I'm not confused by other currencies that use the $ symbol. If two $ currencies are being compared or if someone thinks it will be unclear, then they use the three letter currency codes for clarity. My use of the BITCOIN ฿ symbol may confuse Huh you and your countrymen right now, but I'm sure if you keep at, you'll get it straight in no time. It's not calculus after all. Wink Wink

Edit: If everyone else is dead set on using another character, you should seriously consider this character. It's soooo cool.

snowfight
D҉ataWraith

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 06:09:47 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2010, 06:26:16 PM by D҉ataWraith

There's also the possibility of using the Combining diacritical marks to cobble something together. I did this with the D in my user name, but haven't found something that'd really work as Bitcoin symbol, mostly because the symbols don't seem to line up properly:

B ̳     B ̶     B ⃦     B ⃝

Edit: Found a regular Unicode character that may work, although it doesn't look that good at small sizes:

Bitcoiner

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 06:43:04 PM

Interesting, though it doesn't seem to work with your user name? Is the star burst supposed to appear over the D? For me, it appears after the D; I'm using Google Chrome on Windows.

There's also the possibility of using the Combining diacritical marks to cobble something together. I did this with the D in my user name, but haven't found something that'd really work as Bitcoin symbol, mostly because the symbols don't seem to line up properly:

B ̳     B ̶     B ⃦     B ⃝

Edit: Found a regular Unicode character that may work, although it doesn't look that good at small sizes:

NewLibertyStandard

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2010, 07:07:33 PM

This was pretty high on my list before I discovered ฿. It is pretty cool, but has to be written pretty big since you're adding a fourth horizontal line as opposed to a second vertical line.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
D҉ataWraith

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 07:45:36 PM

Interesting, though it doesn't seem to work with your user name? Is the star burst supposed to appear over the D? For me, it appears after the D; I'm using Google Chrome on Windows.

Hm. I've tested it under Linux with Firefox and Chrome. Let me check... yeah it does look different on Windows. And neither Firefox nor Chrome display my example diacritics at all.   Embarrassed

The starburst character is a combining diacritical, so yes, it's supposed to surround the D. Then again, I kinda like how it comes out on Windows.

For the record, this is what it looks like to me:

I guess using combining diacriticals is out then, if they're not displaying correctly (everywhere).

NewLibertyStandard

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2010, 07:55:45 PM

Hm. I've tested it under Linux with Firefox and Chrome. Let me check... yeah it does look different on Windows. And neither Firefox nor Chrome display my example diacritics at all.   Embarrassed

The starburst character is a combining diacritical, so yes, it's supposed to surround the D. Then again, I kinda like how it comes out on Windows.

I guess using combining diacriticals is out then, if they're not displaying correctly (everywhere).
It looks fine for me on Ubuntu in Firefox and Chrome, but the D is centered slightly down and to the left for me, but it's not really noticeable.

mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 08:26:38 PM

It looks the same to me also, however, I made certain to configure support for all characters to appear in my environment.  Many computer users do not.
aceat64

Activity: 307
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 10:41:34 PM

I think the lower case "b" in a circle is perfect since bytes use a capital "B" (i.e. 23 MB) and bits use a lowercase "b" (1024 Mbps). So the lowercase "b" would be the "bit" and the circle would be a coin.  Grin
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: