Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:01:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which symbol do you like best?
฿ - 203 (42.3%)
- 35 (7.3%)
- 69 (14.4%)
Ƀ - 97 (20.2%)
¤ - 1 (0.2%)
None of the above - 75 (15.6%)
Total Voters: 476

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Bitcoin Unicode Character?  (Read 83804 times)
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 07:02:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I came up with two other ideas too. Here they are, along with another rendering of the first one I posted:

These are crude renderings, but they should prove a good basis for any typographers who may come along later. I derived the two new ideas from the symbol for the yen, the currency of Satoshi's ostensible homeland.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ryepdx

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 08:40:47 PM

Okay, I just finished reading all 10 pages of this discussion. It seems to me we are divided into two camps:

1. Those who want a symbol we can start using right away.
2. Those who want a unique symbol that we won't really be able to use online until we manage to get a character into the unicode set (which could be a few years considering it took the Thai government about a year of lobbying to get their country's currency symbol into that set, a task easier than the one we would face as a mere confederacy of nerds.)

I think we ought to decide which approach would be better for us as a community.

There is, of course, a middle path: we could create a custom symbol and then host it as an image somewhere for the whole community to use as if it were a character.

If we decide path 1 is best, then my votes are for β, Ƀ, or Ⓑ (in order of preference.)
If we decide path 2 or the middle path is best, well, you've seen my suggestions.

What are your thoughts?
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 11:34:26 PM

Custom fonts can be used in web pages without the users having to install them on their machine, as long as they got an up-to-date webbrowser.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
ryepdx

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 06:00:42 AM

Custom fonts can be used in web pages without the users having to install them on their machine, as long as they got an up-to-date webbrowser.

Hmm... not a bad idea. Less compatible than the image idea and a bit harder to implement, but it would at least make for cleaner HTML.

Then, of course, there is the first path mentioned.
epii

Activity: 210
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 06:05:28 AM

Here's yet another idea.  It's very abstract, but kinda captures the "techiness" and the whole "bit" concept of Bitcoin, scales well, and of course is already in Unicode:
U+25D1 CIRCLE WITH RIGHT HALF BLACK

(Also, kind of like a C and a B.)

I was inspired by this icon on britcoin.co.uk:
fetokun

Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 06:42:15 AM

Dont believe it is in use by another currency and is already in the charset Smiley
x2

I really like Ƀ too. ฿ would be my first choice, but since it's already used as a currency symbol for me it's completely off the table.

It also gives a certain sense of a currency and I really prefer capital letters. I don't know, but I think uppercases give the impression of a more valued currency.

1Ƀ2
Ƀ100
Ƀ1.5
19.99Ƀ

All of these look good to me

woah

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 09:58:37 AM
Last edit: March 30, 2011, 11:14:07 AM by woah

Hello !

How about this : http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4756/btc1.png

I like Ⓑ a lot, but I thought it could be great to add the "currency-like" bars. It makes it closer to the logo, too.
fetokun

Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 10:48:03 AM

Hello !

How about this :

I like Ⓑ a lot, but I thought it could be great to add the "currency-like" bars. It makes it closer to the logo, too.

I think a circled ฿ would be perfect. Maybe we could adopt the circled B for now while we wait for the new circled ฿ to be inserted into the Unicode standard.

ryepdx

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 08:01:29 PM

I think a circled ฿ would be perfect. Maybe we could adopt the circled B for now while we wait for the new circled ฿ to be inserted into the Unicode standard.

Meh. I personally don't even want to incorporate the baht symbol. I feel like it would cause confusion, even circled.

Hello !

How about this :

I like it. The only downsides are that it could be hard to recognize or even write at small sizes due to the level of detail. Plus it seems like it would take a while to write even at normal sizes compared to other currency symbols.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 03, 2011, 07:40:42 PM

I was persuaded after reading a little in here that ⓑ is a good option.

• It is better readable than the capital version.
  • It stands for "bit" rather than "byte", being the correct letter terminology-wise.
  • It is not frequently used for other purposes.
  • It represents the expression "bitcoin" by having the symbol for bit surrounded by a circle, making it look like a coin.
  • It is already present in Unicode.

If 1 ⓑ keeps current value or higher, symbols for the smaller fractions may be required. mⓑ, µⓑ etc. may be an option, but are not single symbols. Not that I would care much, I'd be fine with that.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2011, 07:42:00 PM

• It stands for "bit" rather than "byte", being the correct letter terminology-wise.
  • It represents the expression "bitcoin" by having the symbol for bit surrounded by a circle, making it look like a coin.

If 1 ⓑ keeps current value or higher, symbols for the smaller fractions may be required. mⓑ, µⓑ etc. may be an option, but are not single symbols. Not that I would care much, I'd be fine with that.

Makes 100% sense to me. +1

epii

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 06:25:13 AM

I've made a few proposals on this thread myself, but after some thought my favourite options are this symbol and Ƀ.  Both symbols are elegant, simple, and currency-like, and would be easy to render and read at any size that ordinary text could be rendered.
WakiMiko

Activity: 59

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 10:41:37 AM

I'd like to see the B with parallel lines at the top and bottom (though not going through the B), that is in a lot of logos already, get added to the Unicode character set. It looks nice and is easily recognisable as a symbol representing money while still being different enough from the Baht symbol ฿.

http://hammeroftruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/bitcoin-logo.jpg

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 03:47:02 PM

Would the "serifs" and the top bulge being smaller than the bottom one be official parts of the symbol or are you suggesting any capital B with the little horns and feet woud be acceptable?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
ryepdx

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 04:21:54 PM

Would the "serifs" and the top bulge being smaller than the bottom one be official parts of the symbol or are you suggesting any capital B with the little horns and feet woud be acceptable?

Do what you like. We're only a sort of confederacy at best and there's nobody here that can force anyone else into anything. The only official documentation we have is the wiki, and most of it (excluding the Bitcoin protocol itself) is the result of collective decision making. As far as I'm concerned, requiring the symbol to look exactly like the logo would be silly. The rule would get ignored as soon as the symbol began to get incorporated into other typefaces, I imagine. But whatever catches on is what will persist and thus become "official."

I'm just hoping it's not that misappropriated "baht" symbol that gets popularized.
epii

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 04:43:50 PM

I've made a few proposals on this thread myself, but after some thought my favourite options are this symbol and Ƀ.  Both symbols are elegant, simple, and currency-like, and would be easy to render and read at any size that ordinary text could be rendered.
I'd like to see the B with parallel lines at the top and bottom (though not going through the B), that is in a lot of logos already, get added to the Unicode character set. It looks nice and is easily recognisable as a symbol representing money while still being different enough from the Baht symbol ฿.

Oh, and this option too, of course.   Wink
rooofl

Activity: 16

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 01:05:54 PM

You guys are talking about a detail in the whole (and messy) Bitcoin graphic identity. This detail must be chosen by following a real design process, I don't mean by a single designer, but certainly not on a forum post.
In my opinion, Bitcoin has a real identity problem and it must be solved quickly by professionals.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 02:43:41 PM

Yes across the board. But what is the Alt+command to create the ⓑ? i am currently using alt+0223 to do a ß
You guys are talking about a detail in the whole (and messy) Bitcoin graphic identity. This detail must be chosen by following a real design process, I don't mean by a single designer, but certainly not on a forum post.
In my opinion, Bitcoin has a real identity problem and it must be solved quickly by professionals.
Identity problem, Yes, needed to be solved by "professionals" No thanks, im sure that anyone(s) with Photoshop could create a very decent graphic design that the forums could collectivly agree upon via poll to be the best candidate, and Voila ß identity "crysis" solved

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
ryepdx

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 07:04:53 PM

Bitcoin is not an organization. Bitcoin is a technology. Saying Bitcoin has a real identity problem is akin to saying the Internet has a real identity problem.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 07:19:55 PM

Bitcoin is not an organization. Bitcoin is a technology. Saying Bitcoin has a real identity problem is akin to saying the Internet has a real identity problem.

You have been delt a falcon punch.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: