Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:37:21 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! struggling to make 6 gpu R9 290 rig to run on windows 7 (SOLVED)  (Read 33608 times)
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:21:47 AM

Okay, after another post by someone else pointing me in the right direction I stumbled across this site: http://www.ohmpie.com/mining-on-an-r9-290-in-linux/

This goes into detail on how to patch the latest linux driver (13.12) and actually has a link to some .deb binaries so you may not even need to patch. If you can get that far...

Then you need to recompile cgminer from source, from the tarball linked on their site. I am gonna give it a go here within the next 24 hours. If you don't think you can do this then I'd forget the r9 290s for now... I am familiar with linux and patching source and compiling in linux. Really from what I've read it shouldn't be too difficult (might eat my words on that). Anyway, I'll let you all know if I can get them up running stable and post you all my history log so you can see how I did it. Figured I'd post what I've figured out so far for those technically inclined to move forward themselves.

thank you. after days of linux bashing i gave up as too stressed on time. running win8 with 5 cards for now. if you can get it working and post the log of step by step inputs that you did i (as well as many others) would really appreciate. good luck/.

Once the driver is corrected, and CGMiner is recompiled the R9 290 runs pretty well. I am going to do some more tweaking, and see if I can run more than one  R9 290 before I say everything is working 100%. Currently running around 870 KHas/sec with current settings.

I've got 6 detecting with aticonfig --lsa, but cgminer says I've got a ADL count mismatch and only one card will mine. I'm using the "pre-re-compiled" cgminer .tar off the ohmpie page.

Arrgh, going to play with those .deb files tomorrow. I've read the ohmpie page and that forum link too many times tonight, it's all running together. Sounds like those might be pre "fixed" drivers for linux noobs like me  Cheesy

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Seals881

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:26:31 PM

And one more thing, the only way I got my card detected was by installing the AMD Beta driver by just running the installer. When I built the driver just for Xubuntu CGminer seemed to not like it. So I did a fresh install, ran the Catalyst installer, and built the CGminer with the ADL file fixes(or download the one from the site). I started out with a -I of 9, and it started right up.

I have not figured out why CGminer will not pick up the cards when building packages for certain distros of Linux. If anyone has input let us know!

pontiacg5

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:06:56 PM

And one more thing, the only way I got my card detected was by installing the AMD Beta driver by just running the installer. When I built the driver just for Xubuntu CGminer seemed to not like it. So I did a fresh install, ran the Catalyst installer, and built the CGminer with the ADL file fixes(or download the one from the site). I started out with a -I of 9, and it started right up.

I have not figured out why CGminer will not pick up the cards when building packages for certain distros of Linux. If anyone has input let us know!

Hmm, that is exactly what I did, and I get the results you describe! Well, mostly. I still have one detecting at least. It did fire right up and I tweaked it up to ~840kh/s using basic 290 settings before I gave up for the night. With more TC tweaking and finding the prime core/mem ratio of my individual cards I think 860-880kh/s should be manageable.

So if I understand correctly, I should just sudo *.run --i, right? Or even just ./*.run?

No sudo *.run --buildpkg /Ubuntu/....?

I think I remember seeing the ATI Linux install gui at some point when I was flogging without knowing what I was doing. I'm thinking just running that .run file will get me back to that CCC install gui, right?

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Seals881

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 08:38:07 PM

Hmm, that is exactly what I did, and I get the results you describe! Well, mostly. I still have one detecting at least. It did fire right up and I tweaked it up to ~840kh/s using basic 290 settings before I gave up for the night. With more TC tweaking and finding the prime core/mem ratio of my individual cards I think 860-880kh/s should be manageable.

So if I understand correctly, I should just sudo *.run --i, right? Or even just ./*.run?

I think I remember seeing the ATI Linux install gui at some point when I was flogging without knowing what I was doing. I'm thinking just running that .run file will get me back to that CCC install gui, right?

Yes, you would see the Catalyst GUI come up when running the .run file.

Basically,

I unzipped the driver, opened up terminal,  sudo chmod +x *.run, and then sudo ./*.run. The installer pops right up, and you can install it. Since you can detect one card, it seems like your drivers are working.

When uninstalling drivers, I broke everything, and had to do a fresh install. So keep that in mind while working on the drivers. Always check to make sure the hardware actually works so you don't mess up your install just for a bad card.   

When more cards come in this week I will post my results.

pontiacg5

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:40:08 PM

Yes, you would see the Catalyst GUI come up when running the .run file.

Basically,

I unzipped the driver, opened up terminal,  sudo chmod +x *.run, and then sudo ./*.run. The installer pops right up, and you can install it. Since you can detect one card, it seems like your drivers are working.

When uninstalling drivers, I broke everything, and had to do a fresh install. So keep that in mind while working on the drivers. Always check to make sure the hardware actually works so you don't mess up your install just for a bad card.  

When more cards come in this week I will post my results.

I see, I will give that a shot when I get home tonight. I've not had faith in myself being able to remove drivers entirely so I've been reinstalling every time, started a fresh one before I went to sleep last night  Cheesy

sudo chmod +x just sets some file permissions on downloaded files, right?

I'll be sure to post results if I see em!

nairb131

Activity: 365
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 11:59:55 PM

Sudo chmod +x gives the current filename give the current user the permissions to execute the file.
nvandertill

Activity: 59

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:47:44 AM

Guys I messed with this for almost 2 weeks just like all of you. I made all the progress you've all made. I hacked and modified until I couldn't take it anymore. I listed them on EBay and got $480 per card, originally paying $500 per card. A $20 loss not to deal with that shit is totally worth it. I got #5 r9 280x's now and they are all working like a dream at 750kh/sec. The 290(x)s SUCK!

Maybe in six months when AMD gets off their lazy asses and fixes the drivers, then it will be worth another try. Until then forget it... They are garbage.

ABitcoinBrain

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:12:25 PM

Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of this?

I am having exact same problem, need Windows 8 maybe? Does it work?

I have no experience at all with Linux and there are no easy step by step guides to follow Sad

If you are using 6 of any 200 series cards you have to use linux. The beta drivers you have to use for R9 cards don't support more than 4, even in windows 8. It is a driver limitation, not hardware, as 6 work perfectly fine in linux.

R9 cards won't mine on anything but the 13.11 beta drivers, it's not possible to use modified 79xx series drivers to get 6 working in windows (yet, give it time...)

Five card r9 290x rig running in windows 8.1 is good just had to switch pci latency over
pontiacg5

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:16:03 AM

Derp  Grin

Absolutely perfect. No modded cgminer, no modded drivers, no modded anything. Fan speed, clock speeds, and temp display works flawless...

Super easy. Install 13.10, "saucy salamander" then install beta 13.11 drivers released 1/8/13. Then, install cgminer 3.7.2 and go to town.

Haven't "tuned" the cards at all yet. I want 5MH/s from this one rig  Wink

pontiacg5

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:16:33 AM

Hi,

I have no experience at all with Linux and there are no easy step by step guides to follow Sad

If you are using 6 of any 200 series cards you have to use linux. The beta drivers you have to use for R9 cards don't support more than 4, even in windows 8. It is a driver limitation, not hardware, as 6 work perfectly fine in linux.

R9 cards won't mine on anything but the 13.11 beta drivers, it's not possible to use modified 79xx series drivers to get 6 working in windows (yet, give it time...)

Five card r9 290x rig running in windows 8.1 is good just had to switch pci latency over

That was posted a long time ago, and you still won't get 6 in wondows.

bowen151

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Caveat Emptor

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:02:40 AM

Derp  Grin

Absolutely perfect. No modded cgminer, no modded drivers, no modded anything. Fan speed, clock speeds, and temp display works flawless...

Super easy. Install 13.10, "saucy salamander" then install beta 13.11 drivers released 1/8/13. Then, install cgminer 3.7.2 and go to town.

That is a clean one right there.

Are those the new risers?

I might have to switch from the classic "flexible" ones if so.

-Buying/Selling graphics cards every month
--Buying BTC every month £/$/€200+ wanted
---UK based re-seller of physical bitcoins  Click here to buy
pontiacg5

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:11:16 AM

Thanks!

Yes, they are USB 3.0 riser cables. I didn't make these, but I have a bunch of blank PCBs I'm putting together that appear to be working (on less expensive hardware, to start  Grin )

I love these risers, I've never had a single issue with one other than the ridiculous price gouging. I miss November, when they were >$10..

I've managed over 5mh/s, and am closing in on 5kWU/m  Cool

This is without a 20" box fan, as my case is designed to use, and I think I have a lame mounted card in the mix. Too early to tell. I'm not sure how much the reference cards will benefit from the box fan, but I'm about to go buy one and see. Sure does work well with the non-ref coolers though.

bowen151

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Caveat Emptor

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:18:57 AM

Very nice.

Hopefully GPU 5 was just working on an extremely difficult share rather than being lame but you may be right, time will tell once you leave it mining for an extended period to see if the numbers even out at all.

On the upside it looks like the tweaking you are doing is paying off, nice rates so far!

-Buying/Selling graphics cards every month
--Buying BTC every month £/$/€200+ wanted
---UK based re-seller of physical bitcoins  Click here to buy
Seals881

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:35:34 AM

I have two cards running perfectly now, and it wasn't to much work.
dannymack

Activity: 52

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 05:37:08 AM

Derp  Grin

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab357/pontiacg5_2010/IMG_20140116_180454_zps49fd0e61.jpg?t=1389917161

Haven't "tuned" the cards at all yet. I want 5MH/s from this one rig  Wink

.05btc bounty!!!

So, do you think this is the case even for four? {290x} I'm downloaded Ubuntu now...

I'm having a problem keeping 1 stable with win7, nonetheless four or six.

I have:
Four Sapphire r9 290x cards
GA 990FXA-UD5 [mobo]
AMD FX 4130 4-core 3.8GHz
12GB RAM
1500w Enermax
Four 16 x 16 pci extenders [not powered]
(optical, WD 350gb hdd, Windows 7)

pics of my rig here: https://imgur.com/a/uKm87

Also, this is my first rig and may be missing something obvious to others.
All drivers are installed plus win 7
In the bios, I didn't really do anything. It was already set to boot pcie 1
Not sure what else to do in bios.

When trying just one card:
- I have to try multiple slots multiple times.
- Each time, either windows is scrambled, gets frozen at startup, looks 8-bit and distorted, or no signal, no beep
- when it gets going and looks perfect (1 out of 20 starts), it eventually crashes
- When i try other slots (like the x16 ones), it doesn't even beep once, or does the 1 long, 3 short beeps (gpu code).
- Once I got windows up with 2 cards, but one had an error 43
- I've tried to download the updated catalyst, but as it's installing, when the screen goes black a few times, it eventually never comes back.
- Tried uninstalling the drivers and restarting and installing, but trying to start windows without this driver and using this card is damn near impossible. Did it once though.
- Sometimes windows is going, but the monitor stops and says no signal, but the pc sounds no diff than a second ago...like it's still running win7
- If I try to start with two cards in any slot combo, i get the 1 long, 3 short beeps

.05btc bounty to the one that get's me up and running.

If you don't see it listed above, assume I haven't done it..even if basic

Thanks!!

Seals881

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:46:43 PM

Derp  Grin

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab357/pontiacg5_2010/IMG_20140116_180454_zps49fd0e61.jpg?t=1389917161

Haven't "tuned" the cards at all yet. I want 5MH/s from this one rig  Wink

.05btc bounty!!!

So, do you think this is the case even for four? {290x} I'm downloaded Ubuntu now...

I'm having a problem keeping 1 stable with win7, nonetheless four or six.

I have:
Four Sapphire r9 290x cards
GA 990FXA-UD5 [mobo]
AMD FX 4130 4-core 3.8GHz
12GB RAM
1500w Enermax
Four 16 x 16 pci extenders [not powered]
(optical, WD 350gb hdd, Windows 7)

pics of my rig here: https://imgur.com/a/uKm87

Also, this is my first rig and may be missing something obvious to others.
All drivers are installed plus win 7
In the bios, I didn't really do anything. It was already set to boot pcie 1
Not sure what else to do in bios.

When trying just one card:
- I have to try multiple slots multiple times.
- Each time, either windows is scrambled, gets frozen at startup, looks 8-bit and distorted, or no signal, no beep
- when it gets going and looks perfect (1 out of 20 starts), it eventually crashes
- When i try other slots (like the x16 ones), it doesn't even beep once, or does the 1 long, 3 short beeps (gpu code).
- Once I got windows up with 2 cards, but one had an error 43
- I've tried to download the updated catalyst, but as it's installing, when the screen goes black a few times, it eventually never comes back.
- Tried uninstalling the drivers and restarting and installing, but trying to start windows without this driver and using this card is damn near impossible. Did it once though.
- Sometimes windows is going, but the monitor stops and says no signal, but the pc sounds no diff than a second ago...like it's still running win7
- If I try to start with two cards in any slot combo, i get the 1 long, 3 short beeps

.05btc bounty to the one that get's me up and running.

If you don't see it listed above, assume I haven't done it..even if basic

Thanks!!

This is what I did, and two cards are running fully maxed out.

To start-

1. Install the Ubuntu

2. Update Ubuntu fully

3. Download the latest AMD Beta drivers for Linux, and download the fixed CGminer from http://www.ohmpie.com/mining-on-an-r9-290-in-linux/  Do not download anything else.

4. Extract the AMD drivers to your home directory, and extract the Cgminer.

5. I renamed the CGminer folder to just cgminer so it is easier to type in command prompt.

Install AMD drivers-

1. Open up terminal, and check to see if you extracted the AMD drivers to the right spot by typing

ls

2. Once you see the driver file type

sudo chmod +x ./name of your AMD driver

3. To install the drivers type

sudo ./name of your AMD driver

4. Once the installer is finished reboot the PC

Set up CGminer-

1. Open up terminal, and install CGMiner required files.

sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev pkg-config libtool libncurses5-dev

2. Change to cgminer folder

cd cgminer

3. Export your display settings

export DISPLAY=:0
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1

4. Check to see if CGminer detects all GPUs, and you can see the temps etc...

./cgminer -n

5. If all your GPUs show up you can go ahead and start mining. I started at a I of 9 to check stability of system

./cgminer --scrypt -o pool address -u workername -p password -I 9

6. If CGminer does not detect all GPUs type

sudo aticonfig --adapter=all -f --initial

Then restart PC

7. Export your display settings again, and retry

./cgminer -n

If all GPUs are detected start mining!

Lastly I recommend that you save a conf file using CGMiner, and you can edit your settings from that file instead of typing a huge command list every time you want to start mining.

For instance I have one set up with all my overclocking settings so I can just ./cgminer -c r9290 and CGminer loads up all my favorite settings.

Refer to the README files in CGminer if get stuck on the CGminer parts.

padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

https://www.bitworks.io

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 04:09:02 AM

Derp  Grin

What motherboard are you using with those? I've been hit or miss with 6 GPU and different Z87 motherboards, interested in what manufacturer/model/chipset you are using?

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
https://www.bitworks.io
novymivo

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:56:22 PM

try sdk 2.7 + catalists 12.6 +cgminer 3.7.0

1DP6hkRCNoxE15QFfyeqxRk1qu7gX4FzGS
ollebolls

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:51:28 PM

Hey

I wrote a guide for using the Sapphire 290's on Ubuntu with the latest drivers and latest of everything else. I get around 880 khs per card.

http://infinitecointalk.org/index.php/topic,1128.0.html

Check it out, if it might help

cryptmebro

Activity: 786
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:49:21 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2014, 02:00:06 AM by cryptmebro

Hi,

That was posted a long time ago, and you still won't get 6 in wondows.

I can run 3x Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x , 1x Sapphire 280x Toxic, and 1x 7950 in Windows 8.1 just fine, but in Windows 7 I get Code 43 on the 7950 (if I put another 280x in there I still get the Code 43) no matter what I do.  13.11 beta, 13.12 both work in Windows 8.1, but in Windows 7 I can only get 4 cards going.  Fucking sucks.  AMD needs to work this shit out.  And of course, in Win 8.1 my GPU mapping is so screwed up I don't even want to waste my time trying to fix it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: