Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:18:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: localbitcoins.com: Transaction Code? Price Building Process?  (Read 1302 times)
Dr Bloggood (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 02:28:18 AM
Last edit: December 13, 2013, 03:21:16 AM by Dr Bloggood

So I just signed up for localbitcoins.com and got in touch with the first seller to buy some in person onto a paperwallet. Two things I don't understand though:

1. Here on the forum I read you should wait for six confirmations, but localbitcoins says when you get the "transaction verify code" from the seller, the deal is done and you can release your money. Now which one is it?

2. I see huge price differences there, and the prices are not really moving. Are they only set every couple of hours or so or are they a fixed price? It has to be a parameter the seller puts up on his profile, right? And who are the idiots buying from the most expensive guys?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 02:54:48 AM

So I just signed up for localbitcoins.com and got in touch with the first seller to buy some in person. Two things I don't understand though:

1. Here on the forum I read you should wait for six confirmations, but localbitcoins says when you get the "transaction verify code" from the seller, the deal is done and you can release your money. Now which one is it?

2. I see huge price differences there, and the prices are not really moving. Are they only set every couple of hours or so or are they a fixed price? It has to be a parameter the seller puts up on his profile, right? And who are the idiots buying from the most expensive guys?

1. although local bitcoins.com gives you the code within seconds of the system seeing the funds put into escrow, it is still advisable to atleast get 1 confirmation to assure that the escrowed funds are not a double spend.

2. the seller can either put in a fixed amount or a maths equation that auto adjusts dependant on an exchanges price movements plus a premium ontp for the seller to profit.
sometimes the most expensive guys, are the guys that are always online, reliable and they don't con you. if you see a price below the exchanges average value and not offering an escrow service. stay well clear

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
qualia8

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:00:21 AM

As I understand it, when you sell on localbitcoins.com, you're spending from your localbitcoins.com wallet to their localbitcoins.com wallet.  This transfer should be instant and secure.  I don't see how a double spend is possible.

When you transfer into your localbitcoins.com wallet to fund a transaction, the site makes you wait for quite a few confirmations.  That's so the site doesn't get burned.  And that should protect the buyer from double spends.

I could be wrong.
Dr Bloggood (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:19:03 AM

So I just signed up for localbitcoins.com and got in touch with the first seller to buy some in person. Two things I don't understand though:

1. although local bitcoins.com gives you the code within seconds of the system seeing the funds put into escrow, it is still advisable to atleast get 1 confirmation to assure that the escrowed funds are not a double spend.

2. the seller can either put in a fixed amount or a maths equation that auto adjusts dependant on an exchanges price movements plus a premium ontp for the seller to profit.
sometimes the most expensive guys, are the guys that are always online, reliable and they don't con you. if you see a price below the exchanges average value and not offering an escrow service. stay well clear

Thanks, franky!

Ad 1: No escrow, I'm just buying face-to-face and he should put the BTC onto my paperwallet (I edited the paperwallet into OP, I forgot). Could there be an escrow involved under any circumstances when buying in person? I'm just a bit confused about that one.

Ad 2: Weired system, the prices aren't comparable anymore if some of them move and some don't. You can't make out which is which.
Dr Bloggood (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:21:01 AM

As I understand it, when you sell on localbitcoins.com, you're spending from your localbitcoins.com wallet to their localbitcoins.com wallet.  This transfer should be instant and secure.  I don't see how a double spend is possible.

When you transfer into your localbitcoins.com wallet to fund a transaction, the site makes you wait for quite a few confirmations.  That's so the site doesn't get burned.  And that should protect the buyer from double spends.

I could be wrong.

No localbitcoins wallet, the BTC just go onto my paperwallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: