Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:26:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shooting stars  (Read 881 times)
dank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 06:53:01 AM

I saw at least five last year and three this year and I thought that was a lot.  But in five minutes outside I just saw twelve of them tonight!

How many have you seen recently?

Any knowledge as to why they appear and disappear out of nowhere?

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
yasircheema

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:06:15 AM

i have seen often shooting stars but not as much as you have seen in the last five minutes.
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:10:51 AM

Now that I think about it, I think I saw 13 as I thought I saw one when I first stepped outside, slightly obscured by a tree.

13 shooting stars on friday the 13th.

What does this mean?

Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:28:04 AM

Seriously? I'd have thought you of all people would have a keen understanding of the boundless wonders of the universe. Shooting stars (or meteors) are not actually stars, but flying rocks... from SPACE! Some of these space rocks happen to be flying straight towards Earth (or Earth is flying straight into them, depending on your point of view). When they enter the Earth's atmosphere, friction with the air causes them to heat up to the point where they start glowing brightly. But friction also slows them down, and as they slow down, there's less friction and they cool off, and they stop glowing and you can't see them anymore, assuming they haven't already vaporised or exploded by this point. (Yes, I've actually seen a meteor explode. It's pretty spectacular.)

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
dank (OP)
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:46:02 AM

Yeah I may have known that when I was younger but nonetheless I looked it up and got a good understanding of them now.  I was thinking they were actually stars though so it complexed me as to why they didn't go across the whole sky.

Though I love space, I'm more familiar with the astral planes of the universe than the physical. Smiley

ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 08:01:04 AM

Sad I can see only blurry lines when there is a shooting star in sky. I have myopia and don't like to wear glasses.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:07:59 AM

Seriously? I'd have thought you of all people would have a keen understanding of the boundless wonders of the universe. Shooting stars (or meteors) are not actually stars, but flying rocks... from SPACE! Some of these space rocks happen to be flying straight towards Earth (or Earth is flying straight into them, depending on your point of view). When they enter the Earth's atmosphere, friction with the air causes them to heat up to the point where they start glowing brightly. But friction also slows them down, and as they slow down, there's less friction and they cool off, and they stop glowing and you can't see them anymore, assuming they haven't already vaporised or exploded by this point. (Yes, I've actually seen a meteor explode. It's pretty spectacular.)

Actually, friction with the air is not the reason for the glow. Rather, the glow is due to the air being compressed in front of the meteor and heating up.

According to wikipedia: "[...] a meteor traveling through the Earth's atmosphere produces a shock wave generated by the extremely rapid compression of air in front of the meteoroid. It is primarily this ram pressure (rather than friction) which heats the air which in turn heats the meteoroid as it flows around it. [...]".
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 11:54:19 AM

I saw at least five last year and three this year and I thought that was a lot.  But in five minutes outside I just saw twelve of them tonight!

They're usually meteors or space debris burning up in the atmosphere.

Were you stoned? I thought I saw one once, but I was high  Grin.
Ch1bi

Activity: 289

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 02:32:42 PM

Wow lucky you, I have seen none. Since I live in a big city full of lights it's a bit difficult to spot one  Embarrassed

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
some1

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

667 one more than the devil

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:22:17 PM

This is a good period to see meteors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geminids

Also, a comet has been recently partialy destroyed by the sun... there are debris all around in space.

Haidang1796

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 12:29:04 AM

i haven't seen any before. It only appear when I was asleep.

ajax3592

Activity: 210

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:28:50 AM

How many of you guys have seen a meteor shower? I saw them once, such a feast for the eyes  Cheesy

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
Haidang1796

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 07:32:39 AM

How many of you guys have seen a meteor shower? I saw them once, such a feast for the eyes  Cheesy
It must be indeed  Sad

Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 09:28:15 AM

I  haven't seen any  Undecided

I guess you need to be organized and follow up with recent events to see one Cheesy

Silverwolf_Ru

Activity: 120

Astrophotographer and Ham Radioist!

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 05:30:31 PM

I think we're in for some dusting and I am sure http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors Here's a timetable of teh closest meteor showers. Plus we'll travel through ISON's path later and that might put on a firework show around Christmas.

A month, or two ago I saw around three or four meteors within five minutes coming roughly in from North East. Additional streaks have been captured on my camera when I did some night shoots. Other then that I usually don't pay attention to the sky.

Bitcoin: 17kz4pWKoMoVupGUYgj8kGomxXUkDHNtVe
Shadowcoin: Seta8CFwP6yvbeCkgfjxXjpkokrQMQovGF ~Coin of the Future!
yntro

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:34:56 PM

It must be indeed  Sad

i always miss them... because its cloudy or smth like that...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Ecurb123

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 09:21:11 PM

I think the reason why you might see a lot one night and none the next is because the earth is can be travelling through a section of it's orbit which happens to have a bunch of junk in it at that time, then at other times there could be nothing at all.
Ruzka

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 10:55:19 PM

I saw a bunch of them earlier this year, it was actually really cool Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: