Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 12:46:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Change Transaction?  (Read 488 times)
RigilK (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:18:50 AM

This is one that's been messing with my mind for a bit. Right, so say Peter wants to send 6XBT to Sally. The sum of none of the transactions in Peter's wallet adds up to exactly the desired 6XBT so he sends 7 instead and receives one 1XBT in change from Sally. Now what happens if Sally doesn't have exactly 1XBT in her wallet to send Peter? Would the change transaction then be, say, 1.5XBT and then she gets 0.5XBT back in change from Peter and so it goes on until either of them have the exact amount to send back. I assume this doesn't happen, but then could you please explain to me what does happen.
_n74

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:36:39 AM

My understanding is that change doesn't work that way, it doesn't come from Sally's wallet, but rather yours. Best explanation I found thus far was on stack exchange. I'm fairly sure I can't post links yet, so just Google the term "how-does-change-work-in-a-bitcoin-transaction" and in the first result (stackexchange) there is a pretty decent explanation.
Botploy

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:04:06 AM

This is one that's been messing with my mind for a bit. Right, so say Peter wants to send 6XBT to Sally. The sum of none of the transactions in Peter's wallet adds up to exactly the desired 6XBT so he sends 7 instead and receives one 1XBT in change from Sally. Now what happens if Sally doesn't have exactly 1XBT in her wallet to send Peter? Would the change transaction then be, say, 1.5XBT and then she gets 0.5XBT back in change from Peter and so it goes on until either of them have the exact amount to send back. I assume this doesn't happen, but then could you please explain to me what does happen.

The change doesn't work that way.
Please refer to the bitcoin wiki for details. https://bitcoin.it/wiki/Change
Bhi41

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:40:41 AM

It seems the bitcoin wiki is down Sad
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 07:47:32 AM

It seems the bitcoin wiki is down Sad

try this one. No idea why the person who posted this couldnt link it.

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/736/how-does-change-work-in-a-bitcoin-transaction

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5236
Merit: 13092

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:49:08 AM

A single transaction can send money to many people at once. In your example, you'd send 6 to Sally and 1 to yourself in a single transaction. You don't need to trust the recipient.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: