Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 03:19:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How big is the blockchain right now?  (Read 1386 times)
tropicalmonsoon (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 08:35:39 AM

I'm in the process of downloading the blockchain right now via Bitcoin QT, and I'm wondering how big the blockchain is right now. I've downloaded 7GB of it, so could anyone who has the whole thing on their computer quickly check to see how many GB it is?  Thanks!
finnw

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:17:52 AM

On my machine, it currently takes up 14.4GB
tropicalmonsoon (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:20:07 AM

On my machine, it currently takes up 14.4GB

Ah okay, so I'm halfway there...  Thanks.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:20:21 AM

According to the Blockchain.info, the size is 12,107 MB right now. But it can take more space in your system.
Polly192

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:33:43 AM

14.2 GB on my pc.
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:39:19 AM

It's about 12-14 gb. I see no point in downloading the whole blockchain when there are wallets like Multibit.  Smiley
At this rate it will be easily 50gb after 2 years  Grin

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
tropicalmonsoon (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:43:04 AM

According to the Blockchain.info, the size is 12,107 MB right now. But it can take more space in your system.

That's fine, I was just a bit worried it would be like 50GB and I'd hit my data cap.
Flanagan

Activity: 204

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 11:30:26 AM

Just finished downloading today, took about 48 hours.

Where in the PC is the blockchain stored so I can see how big it is?

Learn to listen, listen to learn.
babeq

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 11:32:19 AM

Here you are:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory

tropicalmonsoon (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:27:04 PM

I'm on OSX and it's in Library>Application Support>Bitcoin - I'm not sure where you'd find it on Windows, but I assume it would be similar?
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:28:16 PM

15.3 GB on my computer
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:45:37 PM

bloating bigger than ever before. it just grows and grows and grows! yeah, it may become a problem....

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
soloburrito

Activity: 13

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:53:16 PM

So what solutions are available to not have a massive blockchain on one's pc? Are you stuck with it unless you want to chance a hosted wallet?
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:55:42 PM

So what solutions are available to not have a massive blockchain on one's pc? Are you stuck with it unless you want to chance a hosted wallet?

If you want to keep your BTC safe, you could do a paper wallet from a hosted environment.  But i guess that technically wouldn't be the safest as you do need the internet to generate the paper wallet which has the public/private key available.

quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 07:56:29 PM

I have wondered this too and haven't even taken the time to look and see how large it is.  Yeah, they have to do something about this at some point.  I mean you can't have like 100 gigs required to buy/sell BTC, the hardware will become too onerous if they want to get everyone using it.  Why can't they just eliminate some of the "older" transactions?  Or, how about making it optional whether to download entire blockchain or only a part of it?

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:59:19 PM

That's fine, I was just a bit worried it would be like 50GB and I'd hit my data cap.
You should be careful about running a full node on the PC once the blockchain's sync'd. Especially if you have high bandwidth, you'll very quickly run into your limit through sharing blocks and relaying transactions.
mad4coinz

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 08:10:16 PM

You should be careful about running a full node on the PC once the blockchain's sync'd. Especially if you have high bandwidth, you'll very quickly run into your limit through sharing blocks and relaying transactions.

So, what do we do to avoid running as full node? I'm downloading the bootstrap file separately from source forge, and it's 9.9 gb zipped, should be done by the morning and then there will be some catching up for it to do but at least it will save my hard drive.

PS
Download Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoinblockchain/files/29-10-2013/ Download Size: 9GB (Compressed) - 13GB (Decompressed)
Re-directs to the most recent version.

You can even get a torrent for it.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 08:22:15 PM

So, what do we do to avoid running as full node? I'm downloading the bootstrap file separately from source forge, and it's 9.9 gb zipped, should be done by the morning and then there will be some catching up for it to do but at least it will save my hard drive.

PS
Download Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoinblockchain/files/29-10-2013/ Download Size: 9GB (Compressed) - 13GB (Decompressed)
Re-directs to the most recent version.

You can even get a torrent for it.
Netlimiter will work well for it. Some other solutions may also work. Once sync'd, QT can still be functional with a limit of ~3kb/s https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334778
tropicalmonsoon (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 08:52:08 PM

Well while I've got a data cap at the moment, I'll be moving to Australia in the next 2-3 months where I'll get an unlimited connection - so it should only be a temporary problem.  In the meantime though, is there any way I can stop my full node from operating if it ends up using too much data? I assume closing the wallet client won't do anything...
Flanagan

Activity: 204

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 10:36:28 AM

I'm on OSX and it's in Library>Application Support>Bitcoin - I'm not sure where you'd find it on Windows, but I assume it would be similar?

Thanks. I've looked around my win 7 installation and found it in AppData -> Roaming -> Bitcoin
The current size of the bitcoin folder is 14.5 GB

Learn to listen, listen to learn.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: