Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:08:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying crypto money with cash by mail  (Read 1076 times)
Lionel (OP)

Activity: 613
Merit: 305

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 08:59:11 PM

Hi,
have you ever bought BTC or other crypto money paying by cash banknotes sent by mail?

I think it's cheap and also the only real anonymous way to buy crypto or any other item, but post employees could open the envelope!

Is there some safe way to hide the banknotes inside the envelope?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:30:41 PM

You could send some other item and try to conceal the cash within that item. Like 50-100 pages of old newspapers and have the banknotes glued to certain specific pages (of course you should inform the other party of your methods).

Signature space available for rent.
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:35:19 PM

I would send it Special Delivery (unless the seller has an issue with signing for a package).

No need for a return address (as you'll give the seller your bitcoin address through the net).

Then you'll know for sure if the cash has arrived, and you'll stay anonymous, unless I'm missing something...
Steveia

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:36:24 PM

Hi,
have you ever bought BTC or other crypto money paying by cash banknotes sent by mail?

I think it's cheap and also the only real anonymous way to buy crypto or any other item, but post employees could open the envelope!

First, it is best to buy in person (when available). Mailing money has its risks. There is always the risk that the letter could be lost or opened and the money will be seized. There is the risk that the Bitcoin seller will abscond with your money (even with escrow, he can deny he received the letter or that the envelope had no money in it).

Second, if you cannot buy in person, it is best to make a bank deposit. You will have the receipt for proof. So if the bitcoins are under escrow, you can always prove you deposited the money a bank account.

Both methods are anonymous.

If you are going to mail money, then use a security envelope with printed lining (the contents will not show). But, yeah, it is a good idea to hide the money in an extra layer of paper anyway. Don't overdo the paper, otherwise this may raise flags at the post office.
Steveia

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:37:39 PM

I would send it Special Delivery (unless the seller has an issue with signing for a package).

No need for a return address (as you'll give the seller your bitcoin address through the net).

Then you'll know for sure if the cash has arrived, and you'll stay anonymous, unless I'm missing something...

No return address is not a good idea because if the letter cannot be delivered for some reason, the post office will open it. And your money will be gone forever. It is best to use a private mailing address.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 10:53:11 AM

There use to be lots of people on localbitscoins selling for cash in the mail.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
cryptomining

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:41:42 PM

Hi,

send it certified or registered with insurance if you are worried.
cryptocap

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:19:58 PM

If you wrap it up like a present, and put "Happy Birthday Mom" or something on the gift, the post office or even customs usually won't open it. Just one way to keep their nose out of your business.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: