Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:50:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm intrigued by the idea of Forex...  (Read 1928 times)
Anonymous

February 21, 2011, 09:02:29 PM

I am fond of the idea of trading currency based on political and other worldly affairs. I know it's risky business with its liquid nature. Relatively, I know pretty much nothing about it. Can someone introduce me to Forex and how to rationally enter this game of trade?

Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 09:13:30 PM

An interesting way to dabble might be to use bitcoins as an intermediary currency.

Bitcoin Central supports USD and Euros. BTCex supports USD, Euros, Rubles and Yen.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 09:14:22 PM

I've done some forex trading Atlas. Message me on IRC or something and I can give you some hints.
spndr7
Legendary

Activity: 1020
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 02:23:59 PM

Forex trading is highly risky but can yeild maximum as compared to any other trade.

If you want to try for nothing then try marketiva,they give you 5 $ to start .

visit http://earnforex.com --very good resource for forex tarding

Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 06:56:37 PM

The great thing about forex is there is always a bull market somewhere.
Of course then there is always a bear market somewhere too.  And the leverage is spectacular.

One way to dip your toe in the water is to sign up at currensee.com and follow more experienced traders.  I've also found the James16 thread at forexfactory helpful.

Anonymous

February 23, 2011, 08:10:40 PM

Thank you all.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 08:22:52 PM

There is a great books called "market wizards".

If you read some of it, you realize what is going on behind the scenes.

And, you realize that it is probably only 1 in a 1000 to CONTINUOUSLY make profit (like Vladimir has mentioned above, there may be 20% who make some gains over 1-2 years, but then lose all again).

Not to scare you, but in line with what others mentioned before, and in line with any other profession, you can only sustainably win if you are a damn expert.. so you need to study, learn, practice, fail, learn again more, practice..

Anonymous

February 23, 2011, 08:28:33 PM

Heh, I assumed it's a difficult game. There's no easy money. That's why I am asking for information so I can potentially make myself the best player possible.

Again, thanks. 
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 08:31:29 PM

Heh, I assumed it's a difficult game. There's no easy money. That's why I am asking for information so I can potentially make myself the best player possible.

Again, thanks. 

There is a difference between a difficult game and a game of chance. The games may look very similar, though.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 08:38:26 PM

Much like Poker, Forex is a money management game.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 08:54:46 PM

It's a rigged game for sure. I know one or two or work in that industry and it is definitely not a transparent market. And I spent some months in there a few years ago doing a few trades.... I have a colleague who does that daily now and it is stressful. Be ready to lose all you put in there.

Prices are manipulated to trigger stop losses for example. The quote you get does not have to be exactly the same as someone else. Placing an order right in between the bid and the ask will not be available to anyone.
Most people lose so the house is betting against you. It is a computer system which forces users to lose in favour of the house. Those who set one of these up are making boat loads of cash, in appearance at least.

My 2 cents is to get out of there. If you do wander in there and have a profit, no matter how small, take it. The bigger the leverage, the bigger the immediate loss due to the spread.
Have rules before you enter a trade, what loss is maximum, profit objective, time period, as your emotions after will make you lose it all.

A friend sent me the link today of currencyfair.com if you are willing to trade currencies with other humans and no leverage;)

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2011, 02:52:08 AM

If you want to try currency speculation do it on mtgox for a while. There are bots on there but as far as I know they are not the terminators you find on regular fx markets.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2011, 03:30:15 AM

at least on mtgox you'll waste your money for good of bitcoin community as opposed to providing pocket money to some city fatcat in  case of forex

Yes, I can't imagine there are too many evil banker/traders from these big corporations using mtgox; I could be wrong, the might just be biding their time.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 07:08:01 AM

Lots of the forex trading platforms will let you set up play money accounts so you can familiarize yourself with the software, test strategies etc under actual market conditions. I would recommend setting one of those up and playing around with it to get a feel for what is going on. Don't assume because you make play money you will make real money. The emotional component difference between paper trading and the real deal is quite real/surprising.

Do a search for Oanda and set up a practice account there. That's the one I play around with when the mood strikes. They offer a ton of pairs and have pretty narrow spreads so they are about as good as you'll probably find for a retail market maker.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: