Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:02:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin.org.uk community portal, wishlist feedback request  (Read 946 times)
Vladimir (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:54:57 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2011, 05:18:16 PM by Vladimir

I am in process of setting up a portal for bitcoin community at https://bitcoin.org.uk . The plan is to do soft launch on 15th of August followed by Official Launch on 22nd.

At the time of soft launch all basic forum functionality will be operational and at the time of Official Launch all the advanced functionality will be operational too.

- https everywhere;
- Blogging facility for members;
- Community calendar facility;
- Reputation system (positive only);
- Advanced and very quick search (not SQL based);
- A set of bitcoin related articles including those reprinted from Bitcoin weekly, thanks to liberal license they use;
- Private, low noise "by invitation only" boards for developers, pool operators, miners, investors, biz operators etc... ;
- Support forums for business operators, allowing biz operators to moderate their threads as they see fit.
- chat facility, for now limited availability i.e. only for seniour members of community, such as bitcoin developers, pool operators etc..
- mobile friendly

Please do not hesitate to hit me in this thread on on the site with your wishlist for such site. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

If any business operators, pool operators would like to have own support forums here, please pm me and I'll set it up ASAP.

It is possible to register and start contributing right now, if someone has such desire. The site is more or less functional already.

-
bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2011, 01:27:04 PM

Here's a tip: You have too many forums and not enough users. You'll die of stagnation if you don't let it build up slowly, I've seen it happen in the wild scores of times.
Vladimir (OP)

-

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:57:01 PM

Here's a tip: You have too many forums and not enough users. You'll die of stagnation if you don't let it build up slowly, I've seen it happen in the wild scores of times.

Fair point. Thank You.

-
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 03:44:05 AM

Yep, I would reduce it to a single forum so all the posts could be aggregated there. Then expand with more subforums as needed.

Also would be nice to see bitcoin.org.uk as a UK portal instead of a forum:
- UK news
- Links to UK bitcoin groups (Britcoin and Bitcoin Consultancy for instance Wink
- Map of users UK wide

.etc

Everybody speaks English so there isn't too much demand for a UK forum like there is with the Polish one. More important is to link up and find out what's happening wrt Bitcoin in my homeland Cheesy
Vladimir (OP)

-

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 11:08:46 AM

Yep, I would reduce it to a single forum so all the posts could be aggregated there. Then expand with more subforums as needed.

Also would be nice to see bitcoin.org.uk as a UK portal instead of a forum:
- UK news
- Links to UK bitcoin groups (Britcoin and Bitcoin Consultancy for instance Wink
- Map of users UK wide

.etc

Everybody speaks English so there isn't too much demand for a UK forum like there is with the Polish one. More important is to link up and find out what's happening wrt Bitcoin in my homeland Cheesy

Thank you, jentix. "Less now, more later" is a valid point, and it seems you are commenting on already reduced set of topics/forums. However, I do not focus on developing a UK centered portal here. bitoin.org.uk domain is just something I had lying around, so I put it to good use.

I more focus here on providing support for Bitcoin developers and businesses. As such, for example, Bitcoin Consultancy and it's projects can arrange to have it's own Forums section (with subforums, if needed) here and even have full moderatorial control over it. As opposed to a "single heavily trolled thread" approach which seems to be used so far.

There is also functionality for more private forums for software developers for example, with finely grained access control to enable "low noise" environment.

As for portal'ish features, I do agree with you and it is something on todo list. There is already fairly advanced blog platform, enabling any member to have a blog (or two) here, the forum by itself is fairly full featured with lots of functionality which is not available on less advanced platforms, there is also a chat and there are more features coming. After all, the forum is still in pre launch mode now.

-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: