Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:38:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For sale, a mining drive, overnight shipping anywhere in the US.  (Read 4003 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2011, 09:17:43 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2011, 04:23:51 AM by casascius

For sale, a SATA hard drive pre-loaded with Ubuntu, ATI drivers, and the latest version of poclbm.  Slap it in a machine with your ATI card(s), boot it up, go straight to mining.  150 BTC includes USPS Express shipping (Next Day).

It's an exact disk image of a hard drive I am using for mining with two 5970's, that's giving me just over 1.2 GHash/sec with modest overclocking.

You can boot this up, point it at your existing Bitcoin installation, and be mining with Linux in minutes, with no overclocking.  A script is included so you can quickly overclock your ATI cards if you wish.  You must provide the remainder of the equipment (obviously), as the only thing for sale is the hard disk.  I have several identical ones for sale.

See it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FThX1cDg-tg

WHY am I offering this?  I assume that there are many out there who are using Windows for mining and are getting frustrated, just like I did, but who don't want to go to the hassle of messing with Linux if they're not familiar.  My mining experience with Windows was fraught with performance instability, frustrations with drivers (e.g. having to plug monitors into all cards), and discovering the machine is idle because it rebooted for "important" Windows updates even though I thought I had disabled those.  All of these problems vanish instantly when switching to Linux.

I don't particularly consider this a moneymaker, seeing as how I'm paying for a hard drive and next day shipping of a parcel... and I'm aware I'm posting this in Mining, not For Sale.  My interest in doing this is to see how fast it goes and gauge the level of interest.  Fundamentally, I believe that the more people who are mining successfully, the harder mining will get, which will raise the floor of the cost of producing Bitcoins, which in turn will raise the value of all Bitcoins.  And that the more people who have Bitcoins, the more the market will be responsive to their "true" value, and the less we will have wide swings in the market.

EDIT to add YouTube link and to remove UPS and replace with USPS.  Local UPS store charges $72 to ship a hard drive overnight...no thanks.  Also, note that USPS Express is, on rare occasions, two-day delivery in some very rural areas - this can be determined in advance.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2011, 09:21:41 PM

By the way, if this turns out to be successful, somebody else should offer this same thing.  To be consistent with my stated goal of making mining more popular, I would welcome "competition" to this endeavor.  Entire hard drives are easy to clone in Linux.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 09:25:37 PM

WHY am I offering this?  I assume that there are many out there who are using Windows for mining and are getting frustrated, just like I did, but who don't want to go to the hassle of messing with Linux if they're not familiar.  My mining experience with Windows was fraught with performance instability, frustrations with drivers (e.g. having to plug monitors into all cards), and discovering the machine is idle because it rebooted for "important" Windows updates even though I thought I had disabled those.  All of these problems vanish instantly when switching to Linux.

Would you consider creating a bootable USB image?
  http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2696.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2011, 09:28:56 PM

Would you consider creating a bootable USB image?
  http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2696.0

I wish it were easy for me...I'm not that skilled. All I did is "script kiddied" the installation instructions given elsewhere on the forum.  I've done USB/CD boots in the past, took me a whole day to figure out and get working right, don't have time today.  Someone else should do the same thing, and will be able to offer it for much less, since that will fit in a document envelope instead of a parcel.

I assume somebody will want my drive TODAY - cause, if you're like me, when you decide you want to start mining, and you know difficulty goes up every 10 to 14 days, you want to start NOW.  Hence, the next day shipping offer.

bitjet

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 09:35:26 PM

How much?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2011, 09:36:05 PM

In addition... Here is what I bought to make it work.  You don't have to match it, but if you somehow value reproducing exactly what I'm getting, then here's what I bought.

From NEWEGG
Item   Description   Quantity   Unit Price   Extended Price
13-128-441   MB GIGABYTE| GA-890FXA-UD5 R   1   $179.99   $179.99
19-103-846   CPU AMD|PH II X2 555 3.2G AM3 RT   1   $89.99   $89.99      
20-148-304   MEM 2G|CRUCIAL BL25664BN1337 RT   1   $29.99   $29.99
17-159-068   PSU COOLMAX|CUQ-1350B RT   1   $199.99   $199.99

From PROVANTAGE.com
Product Name   Qty   Each
Radeon 5970 2GB DDR5 PCI Express 6 Port    2     $658.20         $1316.40

Total $1812.40 plus shipping for a dual-5970 mining rig of 1.2 GHash/s

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2011, 09:36:24 PM

How much?

150 BTC shipped next day anywhere in US

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 11:08:20 PM

Can I pay you 175 BTC when I get started mining? You'll get the first 175 I mine.

I can't justify buying BTC through the money changers with all the fees they charge right now.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2011, 11:24:12 PM

Can I pay you 175 BTC when I get started mining? You'll get the first 175 I mine.

I can't justify buying BTC through the money changers with all the fees they charge right now.

I can accept Paypal USD instead...pming e-mail

Too late for Tuesday, but can arrive Wednesday.

I have a few more by the way (these are just copies, after all... made simply by doing cp /dev/sda /dev/sdb and waiting...)

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 04:51:50 AM

YouTube video of the drive in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FThX1cDg-tg

AmpEater

Activity: 232
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 05:18:01 AM

Payment has been sent for 1 hard drive. I look forward to receiving it.

The video of your mining center is very cool. I'm excited to start
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 05:21:38 AM

Payment has been sent for 1 hard drive. I look forward to receiving it.

The video of your mining center is very cool. I'm excited to start

You should have it Wednesday, good luck

comboy

Activity: 247
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 02:00:37 PM

I would say it may not work on a different machine that has many GPUs without xorg.conf modification. Or have you done something to avoid this problem?

Variance is a bitch!
lemonginger

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 08:02:18 PM

what is updated price?
Xer

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile