Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:24:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 8 GPU GUI miner issue  (Read 2191 times)
Soaron123 (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 03:39:28 PM

Refer to my thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36182.0;topicseen

to sum up quickly

My Rig-
Memory: 2gb Ram
CPU: Core I7 960
Motherboard:Gigabyte G1 Assassin
HDD: 500gb
GPU: 4x ATI Radeon 6990HD (HiS)(watercooled)
Power supply: 2 x 1200W Corsair
Driver: ATI catalyst 11.7 w/ SDK 2.5
Frontend: GUIminer

No problem with the GPUS, they all work, they all show, they're all functioning.

The problem is more in the fact that I can't run 8 miners at a time. I think this may be a RAM issue, but pretty sure it isn't as only 1.4gb RAM is taken up at most (task manager).

I've tried a few combinations - 8gpus, 7gpus + 1cpu Miner, 7 poclbm + 1 pheonix

All that needs to be noted is that, no matter what order the miners are started, the last miner to be started will hang with "miner started." It will never connect and start mining. If the last miner happens to be openCL, I will get a "poclbm.exe has stopped responding" windows message.

I did want to try Ubuntu, but it seems very tricky starting everything up with all those sudo commands. Is this a limitation within "conhost" or Guiminer?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tnkflx

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 10:36:24 AM

I'm in the process of setting up a 4x 6990 rig. I'll let you know the results and see where I can help...

| Operating electrum.be & us.electrum.be |
TeaL

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 05:09:52 AM

It could be a driver issue, bit I'm curious to see how this works out for you.

Setting up a mining rig to use Ubuntu isn't that complicated. If you want to mine with an OS that uses the Linux kernal and don't want to deal with a-lot of package installation try Linuxcoin.
tnkflx

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 08:06:24 AM

I'm in the process of setting up a 4x 6990 rig. I'll let you know the results and see where I can help...

I'm having problems getting my 4x 6990 to run Sad

| Operating electrum.be & us.electrum.be |
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 11:45:07 AM

Refer to my thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36182.0;topicseen

to sum up quickly

My Rig-
Memory: 2gb Ram
CPU: Core I7 960
Motherboard:Gigabyte G1 Assassin
HDD: 500gb
GPU: 4x ATI Radeon 6990HD (HiS)(watercooled)
Power supply: 2 x 1200W Corsair
Driver: ATI catalyst 11.7 w/ SDK 2.5
Frontend: GUIminer

No problem with the GPUS, they all work, they all show, they're all functioning.

The problem is more in the fact that I can't run 8 miners at a time. I think this may be a RAM issue, but pretty sure it isn't as only 1.4gb RAM is taken up at most (task manager).

I've tried a few combinations - 8gpus, 7gpus + 1cpu Miner, 7 poclbm + 1 pheonix

All that needs to be noted is that, no matter what order the miners are started, the last miner to be started will hang with "miner started." It will never connect and start mining. If the last miner happens to be openCL, I will get a "poclbm.exe has stopped responding" windows message.

I did want to try Ubuntu, but it seems very tricky starting everything up with all those sudo commands. Is this a limitation within "conhost" or Guiminer?

Try cgminer, it'lll feed your 8 GPU cores from one process without problems.

cgminer for the win, windows version even includes a how to make a bootable usb linux miner.
personally i install to harddrive, but i copy/paste the commands from the guide - makes it very easy Smiley

on my 4 card linux boxes i shh in and they all run cgminer in screen

on my windows miners i use cgminer and teamviwer - no miner has a head Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Soaron123 (OP)

Activity: 16

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 05:50:30 PM

Probably should have mentioned that I ended up getting all 8 cores to work. Not too sure what exactly it was, but we did have a faulty power supply (one of the fan ball-bearings was out = low - high pitch whistling sound), and after replacing that and removing the dummy plugs, all 8 cores worked fine. Not too sure what was the exact problem, but haven't fiddled around with it since just in case the problem happens again.

I'll probably try out cgminer just to see how that works out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: