Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:05:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Only 4 altcoins exist that provide additional value over bitcoin...  (Read 2038 times)
michielnl (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 11:37:06 AM

See http://www.heavy.com/tech/2013/12/datacoin-info/

Ian classifies Datacoin as a special type of cryptocurrency or Distributed Autonomous Corporation that has functions outside of monetary exchange. He says, “Currently, there are only 4 coins that stand out for giving more value than a simple currency: Mastercoin, Protoshares, Namecoin and Datacoin.” These coins have an advantage over Bitcoin because they add intrinsic value to the currency.

The page also has a link to Datacoin [GIVEAWAY]

Please note: the author has long positions in the 4 coins above ;-)

=> Let's PUMP and not dump ;-)

Please provide your comments
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 11:46:01 AM

Direct competition to Bitcoin is impossible. However, I find some chances that altcoins can gain ground in niche markets. For example: Diamond - DMD can have strong potential in gaming industry, dating social networks ... With a proper marketing strategy, DMD can be accepted by gaming community and some social networks very soon.

That's why I want to add DMD into the list.
Hampuz

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 11:49:55 AM

Stablecoin?
int3ractivodular

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

TECHNOLOGY, BABY!

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 11:56:28 AM

Stablecoin?

Yep, Stablecoin has some awesome potential. Also lol @ a list that doesn't contain XPM. Obviously there's no intrinsic value there...  Roll Eyes
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 11:57:21 AM

Things change fast in the crypto world, won't bet on it Wink
extortion

Activity: 141

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 11:57:45 AM

This list is a joke.
$.
{
Datacoin sounds like a neat idea, but i put it right up there with solar powered cars, because its just plain impractical.
}
{
Mastercoin is a scam/serves no real purpose, and cannot survive without bitcoin.
}
{
Namecoin was a cool idea that is ultimately going nowhere.
}
{
Protoshares is a hype bubble waiting to implode, with a possibility of launching mini scamcoins within its blockchain in the mold of Mastercoin
}
... shall i continue?

Extortion. We are Anonymous. We are legion. We do not forgive. We Do Not Forget. Expect Us.
michielnl (OP)

Activity: 123

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 12:01:36 PM

@extortion , yes please continue ... :-) good to read !
rrsn2006

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 12:12:56 PM

Namecoin and Datacoin have some value..Mastercoin and protoshares are scamsters..
pand70

Activity: 476

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 12:16:20 PM

I don't agree with people that are looking for extra value to cryptocurrencies but if so you should add primecoin to the list.

The Goat Master

Activity: 868
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 12:17:48 PM

Devcoin?  It gives coins to open source projects.  I've had some holdings in it for a long time and it recently went up 1000% on vircurex.

██
         ▄▄▀  ▀▄
        ▄▀▀▄▄▄  ▀▄
      ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▀▄
    ▄▀ █  ▄▄▀▀ █  █ ▀▄▄
  ▄▀  ██▀█ ▄▀▀▄ █ █  █▀▄
██   █ █▐▌█ ██ █ ██ █   ██
  ▀▄█  █ █ ▀▄▄▀▄▄███  ▄▀
   ▀▀▄ █▄▄█▄█▀▀   █ ▄▀
      ▀▄▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀▀██▀
        ▀▄  ▀▀▄▄▄▀
          ▀▄  ▄▀▀
            ██
    ▄▄███████▄▄
  ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄
 ███▀         ▀▀
███
███
███
 ███▄         ▄▄
  ▀███▄▄   ▄▄███▀
    ▀▀███████▀▀
██████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
          ▀██▌
          ▄██▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
██████████▀
██▌    ▀███▄
██▌      ▀███▄
██▌        ▀███
█████████████

█████████████

█████████████
        ██
       ████
      ██▌▐██
     ██▌  ▐██
    ██▌    ▐██
   ██▌      ▐██
  ██▌        ▐██
 ██▌          ▐██
██▌    ███████████
██████████████▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
    ▄▄███████▄▄
  ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄
 ███▀         ▀███
███             ███
███             ███
███             ███
 ███▄         ▄███
  ▀███▄▄   ▄▄███▀
    ▀▀███████▀▀
██████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
          ▀██▌
          ▄██▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
██████████▀
██▌    ▀███▄
██▌      ▀███▄
██▌        ▀███

▄▄
████
 ▀▀
        ██
       ████
      ██▌▐██
     ██▌  ▐██
    ██▌    ▐██
   ██▌      ▐██
  ██▌        ▐██
 ██▌          ▐██
██▌    ███████████
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███
.▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    WHITEPAPER    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀.
FACEBOOK       REDDIT       TELEGRAM
BITCOINTALK   TWITTER   INSTAGRAM
FiniteByDesign
Legendary

Activity: 1397
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 12:22:16 PM

What about CGB and the MADEsparq project tied to CGB's blockchain???
https://cryptogenicbullion.org/#papers

You are missing the biggest one IMHO.

paul44

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 12:28:19 PM

Thanks for the link to the article, quite an interesting read Smiley

+1 for Devcoin.
maxsolnc

Activity: 350

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 12:30:29 PM

Don't forget that it's only his opinion. Here can come developers of each coin and give reasons why their coins also have such value. Another opinion can be, for example : quarkcoin, novacoin, goldcoin (not mine of course Smiley )

DTC: DMcKNp47fNtgM7sritK9GfJEQ1DzME5nwk
BTC: 1FgUGra685ZwkrX5VnRvfaYp4bHJhC7x4H
Kane49

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 12:35:14 PM

What about Doge ? its the only coin that has its own language.
paul44

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 12:41:38 PM

Completely agree maxsolnc. All of the information is gathered from people who likely have an interest in how those altcoins perform. Interesting though.
bobbahope

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 12:50:03 PM

Really?

Namecoin is interesting, and has potential.

Datacoin, also has potential, but is only just starting out, so I wouldn't put more than 20-40 dollars into it.

Protoshares haven't even started out yet, they're just hype for a currency which won't come out for at least half a year, if ever. I've held on to about 5 percent of those I mined at the beginning because the concept could do well, but I wouldn't invest anymore until they actually put something of use out.

Mastercoin, sadly enough, appears to be doomed. They're main selling point was that they were like colored coins, but had a huge fund to expedite development. It appears that the people running it are absolute morons, as they're first real developer isn't even going to start until February, and the creator owns something like a quarter of all coins.( They claim this was fair as he sent in a couple hundred Bitcoins for these mastercoins, into a pool he controlled- where everyone else's risk was that he was a scammer.)

If I had to choose the best four current alts,

Namecoin would be there as something with potential, but unlikely to gain too high a value(as that could actually hurt it's usefulness).

Datacoin would be worth investing into, but far too risky at this point for any significant funds. Haven't seen what will happen when someone uploads cp for instance...

Peercoin, as one of the most innovative coins. Money supply increased in such a way that no holder's holdings actually decrease as a percentage of the whole(i.e. Money supply increased via interest on everyone's holdings.), environmentally friendly, much lower risk of 51....

Anoncoin - They're implementing zerocoin. I'd put in about 2-5 percent, just to see how they fare.

I'd probably add litecoin as well, not for any benefits it provides, which it doesn't really, but because of brand recognition.

bgman

Activity: 29

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 01:18:56 PM

Really?

Namecoin is interesting, and has potential.

Datacoin, also has potential, but is only just starting out, so I wouldn't put more than 20-40 dollars into it.

Protoshares haven't even started out yet, they're just hype for a currency which won't come out for at least half a year, if ever. I've held on to about 5 percent of those I mined at the beginning because the concept could do well, but I wouldn't invest anymore until they actually put something of use out.

Mastercoin, sadly enough, appears to be doomed. They're main selling point was that they were like colored coins, but had a huge fund to expedite development. It appears that the people running it are absolute morons, as they're first real developer isn't even going to start until February, and the creator owns something like a quarter of all coins.( They claim this was fair as he sent in a couple hundred Bitcoins for these mastercoins, into a pool he controlled- where everyone else's risk was that he was a scammer.)

If I had to choose the best four current alts,

Namecoin would be there as something with potential, but unlikely to gain too high a value(as that could actually hurt it's usefulness).

Datacoin would be worth investing into, but far too risky at this point for any significant funds. Haven't seen what will happen when someone uploads cp for instance...

Peercoin, as one of the most innovative coins. Money supply increased in such a way that no holder's holdings actually decrease as a percentage of the whole(i.e. Money supply increased via interest on everyone's holdings.), environmentally friendly, much lower risk of 51....

Anoncoin - They're implementing zerocoin. I'd put in about 2-5 percent, just to see how they fare.

I'd probably add litecoin as well, not for any benefits it provides, which it doesn't really, but because of brand recognition.

Zerocoin will be released as a new coin so I would wait until it comes out to invest in that rather than Anoncoin.
maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 01:32:52 PM

Just want to sum up all thoughts about this.

1. As I said earlier, there is no simple way to get files from blockchain. You cannot open it and see some sequence of bytes, copypaste it and get CP picture. All files are translated into special format even if they're unencrypted.
2. Quote from reddit's user tehfiend: "For example I could create a binary that when fed Windows system files creates an illegal file as it's output. That doesn't make the Windows system file itself illegal as it needs to be "transformed" by an algorithm. The same is true with the Datacoin blockchain if that makes sense... Regardlless, if this became an issue, a filter could be created that allows users to block sections of the blockchain in their client but this obviously is very undesirable" . I agree - it is pretty simple to create such filters to avoid people from opening\storing some files from blockchain.
3. And yes, don't forget: it's possible to upload CP into blockchain of Bitcoin\Namecoin\etc. So it's your choice: to be or not to be. Not only datacoin, you can get virus that will store CP on your hard drive, and you won't know about that. What is safe - not to use computer Wink But even in that case, if police want to arrest you for any case, it can just fraud you with drugs or weapons - still popular practices in many countries.

bobbahope

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 01:45:00 PM

1. As I said earlier, there is no simple way to get files from blockchain. You cannot open it and see some sequence of bytes, copypaste it and get CP picture. All files are translated into special format even if they're unencrypted.
2. Quote from reddit's user tehfiend: "For example I could create a binary that when fed Windows system files creates an illegal file as it's output. That doesn't make the Windows system file itself illegal as it needs to be "transformed" by an algorithm. The same is true with the Datacoin blockchain if that makes sense... Regardlless, if this became an issue, a filter could be created that allows users to block sections of the blockchain in their client but this obviously is very undesirable" . I agree - it is pretty simple to create such filters to avoid people from opening\storing some files from blockchain.
3. And yes, don't forget: it's possible to upload CP into blockchain of Bitcoin\Namecoin\etc. So it's your choice: to be or not to be. Not only datacoin, you can get virus that will store CP on your hard drive, and you won't know about that. What is safe - not to use computer Wink But even in that case, if police want to arrest you for any case, it can just fraud you with drugs or weapons - still popular practices in many countries.

I understand that, and I don't think it should matter. "Should" being the critical word here. I'm willing to put in a little money because of that, but I think the concept of datacoin as a permanent way of storing things online would mean that cp being uploaded to it would have a far greater impact than if it were put into Bitcoin or Namecoin.

maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 02:03:01 PM

I understand that, and I don't think it should matter. "Should" being the critical word here. I'm willing to put in a little money because of that, but I think the concept of datacoin as a permanent way of storing things online would mean that cp being uploaded to it would have a far greater impact than if it were put into Bitcoin or Namecoin.

People who are afraid of that can store DTC in online wallets or VPS (just save wallet.dat on local computer, and use small VPS for wallet). Anyway, there will be many people who are not afraid and who will support the redundancy of network.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: