Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:56:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper Wallet on bitaddress.org  (Read 704 times)
IlMao (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:08:23 PM

Hello,
I would like to use the great bitaddress.org javascript to create some Paper Wallet of a given (and already existing) private key.
Apparently the source doesn't permit that, just freshly generated address.

Has anyone already modified the source to permit that, or can tell me where I could modify it without to scroll the entire code?

Ciao,
IlMao.
BlackEagle91_58

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:14:01 PM

Sorry brother. Looking for the same myself.
IlMao (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 05:27:39 PM

Well, at least I know I'm not alone Smiley
Authentic

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

1FRpXqj6kedknh5uNpdo8FS3U49XJPJJy1

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 05:33:39 PM

If you go to the last tab ("Wallet Details"), you can insert any private key and many more details about it will appear (more than in the normal mode), and you will be able to print them as well. Maybe that would do? It will not be the same, but the basic details will still be there.

IlMao (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 05:42:13 PM

If you go to the last tab ("Wallet Details"), you can insert any private key
If you go to "Wallet Details", you can't obtain the nice Paper Wallets that you can obtain in "Paper Wallet"...
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3241

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:00:40 PM

I don't have a solution for you, but I'm wondering why you want to do that. It doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
po1992one

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:04:22 PM

If you go to "Wallet Details", you can't obtain the nice Paper Wallets that you can obtain in "Paper Wallet"...

Well, if you need nice one, print new and send funds from your old private key there
Authentic

Activity: 112

1FRpXqj6kedknh5uNpdo8FS3U49XJPJJy1

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:07:57 PM

Your best option is either to do as the last poster said, or manually create the nice paper wallet. Just make sure you're using a 100% javascript QR code generator, or you might end up giving your private key away. So only do this is you really know what you're doing.

IlMao (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 10:36:13 PM

Often, the problem with the answers is that someone try to understand the sense of the question rather than simply answer the question Smiley
Ok, here's the reason: I want to make some gift for Christmas, and I have generated a lot of vanity address for every person (the nickname of the person is in the address). So, I would like to put their vanity address on a nice Paper Wallet. This should explain why I'm asking that. Of course I'll warn the people that receive the gift that I could know their private key (though I don't), and they should transfer the money on a new address.
Yes, I'll use the offline javascript, and yes, I know what I'm doing.

Ciao,
IlMao.
honky1492

Activity: 118

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 11:01:59 PM

Often, the problem with the answers is that someone try to understand the sense of the question rather than simply answer the question Smiley
Ok, here's the reason: I want to make some gift for Christmas, and I have generated a lot of vanity address for every person (the nickname of the person is in the address). So, I would like to put their vanity address on a nice Paper Wallet. This should explain why I'm asking that. Of course I'll warn the people that receive the gift that I could know their private key (though I don't), and they should transfer the money on a new address.

Try this for interesting templates:
http://www.bitcoins4barter.com/paperwallets/
IlMao (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:53:20 AM

Try this for interesting templates:
http://www.bitcoins4barter.com/paperwallets/
Hi honky1492, that's nice but, again, it's a clone of bitaddress.org with new templates, and, again, it doesn't permit to specify an existing address for a Paper Wallet...
deszo888

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:11:39 AM

Thanks
IlMao (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:02:14 AM

Ciao,
IlMao.

Ok, I've done it by myself. I hoped to save some time to not scroll the entire code finding the right place to force an address before to print the Paper Wallet, but the old "If you want something done, do it yourself" is always valid Smiley

Anyway, here is a very simple solution:

Im the bitaddress.org source (I don't explain how to use the offline source, of course), find the line

ninja.wallets.paperwallet.showArtisticWallet(idPostFix, bitcoinAddress, privateKeyWif);

it is in the generateNewWallet function. After this line, add some line like these ones:

if (idPostFix == 1) ninja.wallets.paperwallet.showArtisticWallet(idPostFix, "1BkitgPRgiQWPYP6uyRE1bYM3gscKne5zT", "5Jiyo6RqEtX5iD6EQFoBUHg1HrxEemhQYEERDftLY1M4gNNZK8i");
            if (idPostFix == 2) ninja.wallets.paperwallet.showArtisticWallet(idPostFix, "1G1tu9fzMYF4GtuDuuNrzQxmdr5ZtzcRwh", "5JDRUi45wjVNi9Z5NzHYg1kiRwJVgHXHprJxRdrkDEqVuFYb1sT");

I believe you have got the point: just substitute the variable bitcoinAddress with your public key, and privateKeyWif with the private one. Then, use a progressive number as for var idPostFix.

That's it! Then generate the Paper Wallet as usual, and program will use your keys to print them, creating art and QR code.

Now I can create my gifts... May be it could be useful for someone else.

Ciao,
IlMao.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: