Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 08:45:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Instead of localbitcoins.com - just buying from friend?  (Read 573 times)
Dr Bloggood (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 04:36:52 PM

This might sound like a stupid question, but I'm just wondering where the localbitcoin-dealers get their BTC from: I suppose they just have it on some wallet on some big exchange!?

So if that's the case I might as well just ask a friend who is on an exchange; he should buy BTC on that exchange, then transfer them to me, while I give him cash.

The whole point of localbitcoins.com is anonimity - or does it serve any other purpose?
kolesozw
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

FRX: Ferocious Alpha

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 04:50:25 PM

This might sound like a stupid question, but I'm just wondering where the localbitcoin-dealers get their BTC from: I suppose they just have it on some wallet on some big exchange!?

So if that's the case I might as well just ask a friend who is on an exchange; he should buy BTC on that exchange, then transfer them to me, while I give him cash.

The whole point of localbitcoins.com is anonimity - or does it serve any other purpose?

Maybe they are mining the Bitcoins or bought earlier

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 04:52:36 PM

To put it another way and answer your question at the same time:  I have made a lot of Bitcoin friends through trading on localbitcions.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3275

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 05:20:16 PM

LocalBitcoin traders get their bitcoins from people selling bitcoins, or from exchanges, or even from coin base. If you can buy bitcoins from a friend, then go ahead. There is nothing wrong with that.

LocalBitcoins has a few benefits. One is anonymity. Another is speed - you don't have to wait to be verified. Finally, buying from someone face-to-face gives a newbie the chance to ask questions.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
omahapoker

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:10:31 PM

why is it so hard to buy bitcoins? seemslike you cant trust anyone.
co5hike

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 06:16:08 PM

anonymity. Another is speed - you don't have to wait to be verified. Finally, buying from someone face-to-face gives a newbie the chance to ask questions.

Or get robbed.
Maybe Im paranoid but I dont feel safe carying cash and do street trade
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 02:35:30 AM

anonymity. Another is speed - you don't have to wait to be verified. Finally, buying from someone face-to-face gives a newbie the chance to ask questions.

Or get robbed.
I have done a lot of trades on localbitcoins and not once have I had an issue with a face-to-face trade - not once.

To me meeting someone at a crowded Starbuck's does not deserve the negative implications of the term "street trade".

"Street trade" makes it sound like you are going to meet someone in a dark alley in a bad part of town.

Don't do that.  Pick a well lit popular crowded Starbuck's or other coffee shop of your choice - anywhere with free WiFi will do.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Goose7

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:45:16 AM

Or get robbed.
I have done a lot of trades on localbitcoins and not once have I had an issue with a face-to-face trade - not once.

To me meeting someone at a crowded Starbuck's does not deserve the negative implications of the term "street trade".

"Street trade" makes it sound like you are going to meet someone in a dark alley in a bad part of town.

Don't do that.  Pick a well lit popular crowded Starbuck's or other coffee shop of your choice - anywhere with free WiFi will do.
how about a bank!   Roll Eyes
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 01:18:01 PM

Or get robbed.

how about a bank!   Roll Eyes
That works too.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: