Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 01:57:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Short of forgetting my seed, what other events could lead to losing my btc?  (Read 485 times)
shamntalk (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

BTC

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 07:44:01 PM

Hi, loving electrum so far, and planning to recommend it to many others.
One question though: assuming i have my seed safe, what events could lead me losing my BTC if using electrum?
I'm curious in particular about change addresses, or just the software itself crashing.

Thank you.
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 12:59:53 AM

If you have your seed well written in a safe place or in your memory, you are safe.

Any other weaknesses could be related to your computer, as malware or keyloggers getting into your encrypted wallet file and stealing your seed that is the access to all your previous and future bitcoin addresses (change addresses include).

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:19:45 AM

Malware could be a thread like btcven said. You are supposed to set a password on your wallet so that if malware gets a copy of the wallet file they won't be able to decrypt it. So you have to ensure that a) you have a good password b) you keep your system secure because even with a password if you somehow get infected with a keylogger then you could be in trouble.

Of course this is all less likely to happen with an offline wallet. And one of the features of electrum is that you can install a watch only wallet on your online system so you can see transactions, balances and give out addresses without risking your coins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: