Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:49:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just did the most newb thing ever...  (Read 832 times)
mrbashfo (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 09:52:43 PM

I had my wallet on my android phone for a bit til I setup my new wallet but before I got a chance to it somehow was reset =( My btc still shows on block explorer but on my phone it says 0.00 btc the address to the wallet on my phone is still the same. Is there anyway to get it back?

Sold To
Kax0, gamekingx, maltaethiron, Cory, Morebitcoinsplease, TECSHARE, wildboy211, inlikeflynn, deslok, WiseOldOwl, and more

Bought From
tsvekric, wildboy211, shakaru

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 09:58:34 PM

Under the condition of a normal environment (a computer [win,linux,mac...]), there is a very LOW chance of you getting the wallet.dat back.
As for an Android, I don't understand it's environment nor the environment the developers used.

My guess: There isn't a way to get it back on the phone.

mrbashfo (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 10:03:48 PM

Under the condition of a normal environment (a computer [win,linux,mac...]), there is a very LOW chance of you getting the wallet.dat back.
As for an Android, I don't understand it's environment nor the environment the developers used.

My guess: There isn't a way to get it back on the phone.

I guess there is no way to actually get it back. Ill just have to suck it up and move on.

Sold To
Kax0, gamekingx, maltaethiron, Cory, Morebitcoinsplease, TECSHARE, wildboy211, inlikeflynn, deslok, WiseOldOwl, and more

Bought From
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 10:06:55 PM

not sure about the phone but their are a ton of wallet recovery tools on here.
managed to save mine from a complete deletion and recovery corruption. I do know you should use the phone as little as possible until you can scan the phone for keys.

here is one and here is another.. look around, i believe their are more

I would not give up just yet

mooo for rent
mrbashfo (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 10:15:29 PM

not sure about the phone but their are a ton of wallet recovery tools on here.
managed to save mine from a complete deletion and recovery corruption. I do know you should use the phone as little as possible until you can scan the phone for keys.

here is one and here is another.. look around, i believe their are more

I would not give up just yet

Ty for the motivation to help recover my wallet =( If someone helps me recover my wallet and they are from the US I will most likely send then earbuds!

Sold To

Bought From
bho

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 10:53:43 PM

mrbashfo:

What did you do that would lead you to believe the wallet.dat was reset or removed?  Are you sure that you just aren't waiting long enough for the block chain to update on your phone client?
mrbashfo (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 11:09:07 PM

mrbashfo:

What did you do that would lead you to believe the wallet.dat was reset or removed?  Are you sure that you just aren't waiting long enough for the block chain to update on your phone client?

Well all the bitcoins that were on my phone (wallet) is gone... there is also no signs of my previous transactions =(

Sold To

Bought From
thinkingBTC

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 11:17:10 PM

since you said that the address on your phone is still the same after the restart, I would also assume (although not certain) that your wallet still holds the private key (which is really what counts). Maybe wait for block chain to catch up...
mrbashfo (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 11:23:15 PM

since you said that the address on your phone is still the same after the restart, I would also assume (although not certain) that your wallet still holds the private key (which is really what counts). Maybe wait for block chain to catch up...

Even if all the bitcoins that were originally there now shows as 0?

Sold To

Bought From
thinkingBTC

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 12:19:20 AM

yes, the amount shown(0) is on the client side. You said it shows in blockexplorer so it's still there. As long as you have the private keys you can erase the wallet if you wanted. The private keys allow you to spend the coins, they are not actually "held" in your wallet.Again, I'm not sure about the android wallet, but if its still showing the same address, then I would assume it still has the private key.

This tells me that you SHOULD be able to recover these coins (maybe by waiting for the block chain to catch up), however I do not know the actions to take if that doesn't work. I just know that you should be able to recover your coins if you still have access to the private key.

Good luck!
mrbashfo (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 01:00:18 AM

yes, the amount shown(0) is on the client side. You said it shows in blockexplorer so it's still there. As long as you have the private keys you can erase the wallet if you wanted. The private keys allow you to spend the coins, they are not actually "held" in your wallet.Again, I'm not sure about the android wallet, but if its still showing the same address, then I would assume it still has the private key.

This tells me that you SHOULD be able to recover these coins (maybe by waiting for the block chain to catch up), however I do not know the actions to take if that doesn't work. I just know that you should be able to recover your coins if you still have access to the private key.

Good luck!

Thanks! that is great help and info! You definately are going to receive an earbud if I get my btc back =) and your from the Cont. US LOL

Sold To

Bought From
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 01:00:55 AM

Even if all the bitcoins that were originally there now shows as 0?

yeh if you addresses are still there.. chances are you lost nothing but the block chain info.

and  if you did happen to use the tools I linked, you would have an empty wallet when you restarted as well.

Your balance isnt kept on the wallet,... it is a stupid name. Wallet.dat is more of a key and a wallet.

anyways once the block count matches blockexplorer you should have all you money back.

assuming that is.. that you do have access to your old addresses in your phone client?HuhHuh?? or that you recovered the wallet using the methods i linked above.

mooo for rent
sporelord

Activity: 13

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:57:52 AM

Another great thing about bitcoin is that when someone else loses their wallet, the rest of the bitcoins in existence increase ever so slightly in value.
mrbashfo (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 08:45:04 PM

thinkingBTC and joulesbeef are any of your from the US?

Sold To

Bought From
Stefanie Andrea

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 01:03:57 AM

What app were you using?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: