Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:06:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does the offline bitcoin wallet work?  (Read 3893 times)
matriculator (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 12:38:02 AM

I recently bought my first bitcoins although I've known about them for a few years. I have an online wallet but I was wondering how the offline one worked? I know that once you have bitcoins in it and lose it due to computer failure, they're gone. Could I for example make multiple copies of my wallet and upload them to online storages? If so, lets say that I put more bitcoins in the original wallet at a later time, will the other copies update to the number of bitcoins I added to the original wallet after they're connected to the internet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:04:21 AM

I recently bought my first bitcoins although I've known about them for a few years. I have an online wallet but I was wondering how the offline one worked? I know that once you have bitcoins in it and lose it due to computer failure, they're gone. Could I for example make multiple copies of my wallet and upload them to online storages? If so, lets say that I put more bitcoins in the original wallet at a later time, will the other copies update to the number of bitcoins I added to the original wallet after they're connected to the internet?

Bitcoins are not stored in your wallet. Bitcoin transactions are stored in the globally distributed ledger called the blockchain (not to be confused with the website blockchain.info). When someone sends you bitcoins he signs off ownership of the coins to your address. That transaction is recorded in the blockchain. For you to be able to then spend those coins you need the private key behind your address and that is what is stored in your wallet. A wallet is basically a collection of private keys and a private key is basically a really, really large number.

To receive coins you don't have to be connected to the internet. To spend coins you do.

An offline wallet is wallet that is installed on a computer that is kept offline. It is considered safer than a wallet on an online computer.

Unless you have a large amount of coins I suggest starting by using a desktop client like electrum. Definitely move away from a blockchain.info mywallet. Don't worry about offline wallets for now. You can look into them later when you understand bitcoin better.

As far as backups go with electrum it is very easy to do. You just write down your 12 word "seed" on a piece of paper. The seed is like a master key and all your addresses, past and future, are derived from that. And yes your balance will update if you restore from seed in future.
matriculator (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 05:25:21 AM

Bitcoins are not stored in your wallet. Bitcoin transactions are stored in the globally distributed ledger called the blockchain (not to be confused with the website blockchain.info). When someone sends you bitcoins he signs off ownership of the coins to your address. That transaction is recorded in the blockchain. For you to be able to then spend those coins you need the private key behind your address and that is what is stored in your wallet. A wallet is basically a collection of private keys and a private key is basically a really, really large number.

To receive coins you don't have to be connected to the internet. To spend coins you do.

An offline wallet is wallet that is installed on a computer that is kept offline. It is considered safer than a wallet on an online computer.

Unless you have a large amount of coins I suggest starting by using a desktop client like electrum. Definitely move away from a blockchain.info mywallet. Don't worry about offline wallets for now. You can look into them later when you understand bitcoin better.

As far as backups go with electrum it is very easy to do. You just write down your 12 word "seed" on a piece of paper. The seed is like a master key and all your addresses, past and future, are derived from that. And yes your balance will update if you restore from seed in future.

Thank you very much for clearing this up. I was having a hard time finding information on it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: