Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:39:05 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The database is inevitably corrupt  (Read 494 times)
Darpy (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 05:20:52 AM

Not once have I been able to install a Bitcoin-QT 8.5 wallet without it being corrupt. I get the "Database corrupt" error box as it scans the database for the first time. The only option is to click "Ok" and then the whole thing shuts down.

I have tried to installing it from a variety of sources both on my Suse 12.3, 64 bit machine and my wife's Windows XP machine. The Linux machine has 230 GB of free space on the HHD. I'm not sure about the XP machine.

Never once have I been able to install a useable wallet. I have tried about 12 times now. What is the problem. Are wallets always fragile and prone to corruption? If it becomes corrupt with coins in it are they lost? I'm trying to wrap my head around this whole bitcoin thing, but can't even get to first base. Can anyone explain to me what is going on?

Thanks.
BTC4Amazon

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 05:25:55 AM

Not once have I been able to install a Bitcoin-QT 8.5 wallet without it being corrupt. I get the "Database corrupt" error box as it scans the database for the first time. The only option is to click "Ok" and then the whole thing shuts down.

I have tried to installing it from a variety of sources both on my Suse 12.3, 64 bit machine and my wife's Windows XP machine. The Linux machine has 230 GB of free space on the HHD. I'm not sure about the XP machine.

Never once have I been able to install a useable wallet. I have tried about 12 times now. What is the problem. Are wallets always fragile and prone to corruption? If it becomes corrupt with coins in it are they lost? I'm trying to wrap my head around this whole bitcoin thing, but can't even get to first base. Can anyone explain to me what is going on?

Thanks.
Well if it becomes corrupt with coins in it, hopefully you were smart and made a paper wallet *hint hint* so you can load it into another insatnce of qt, dameon, armoury etc.
Darpy (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 05:47:37 AM

I have not once been able to establish a wallet, so how would I get any coins in one in the first place? Don't you need a wallet to purchase or acquire bitcoin?
nate008

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 06:12:16 AM

I have not once been able to establish a wallet, so how would I get any coins in one in the first place? Don't you need a wallet to purchase or acquire bitcoin?

He missed the part about your install.
People in the newbie section don't pay to much attention and post whatever they think without double checking.

I would search for similar problems in the tech subforum , or post there omce your newbie status gets updated (4 hours).

Also , wasn't 8.6 released? Have you tried that?
BTC4Amazon

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 06:19:47 AM

He missed the part about your install.
People in the newbie section don't pay to much attention and post whatever they think without double checking.

I would search for similar problems in the tech subforum , or post there omce your newbie status gets updated (4 hours).

Also , wasn't 8.6 released? Have you tried that?

Answered the part of the questions I knew how to answer, I didn't know the answer to the first part so I wasn't going to bullshit him and say "hit x 4 times and double click in the middle and it'll start working again"
Darpy (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 06:27:02 AM

Yes, I did try 8.6 with the same results. I even ran a memtest to see if my computer was throwing errors, but it is working flawlessly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: