Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:38:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asicminer BE Blade hw troubleshooting  (Read 988 times)
abec (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:09:25 AM

I was upgrading the clock and speed on the last of my blades, and I got in a hurry.  I think what may have happened is a resistor bridged due to negligence on my part, but I am not 100% sure. 

The symptoms are the device does not power on ( no LED light when it first plugs up to power ).  I tried replacing the fuse, but to no avail.  I am trying to figure out what I can try and do next.  The device was powering on but I had received XXXX for that bank, after I replaced the resistor and plugged it up to check results, it no longer would sync to the network and the green light stopped blinking, after that it never again would 'boot' up ( that initial green blink when you plug it up ).

I am plugging it into a blade backplane, tried a few different ports, I'll try plugging up to the 4 pin power, but I expect the same results.

Thanks for any help.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:55:35 PM

Check your 3.3V either at the test header by the ethernet controller, or measure across C286 (which is an output cap for the 3.3V regulator, and should measure 3.3V at all times). Some folks that messed up resistors on the VRMs (usually missing or bad connection, haven't heard about a bridge yet) have reported that it fried that regulator.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
dentldir

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:07:21 AM

I ended up having two cold soldier joints on two feedback resistors that I swapped and got to this point on one blade.  Swapping out the regulator didn't get it back up and running. 

I believe something in the 3.3V section got shorted to ground leaving R120 and R121 in parallel instead of acting as a divider which would set the regulator at 3.3V.  Both of them are reading about 1.81k instead of one being 3 times the other.  Someone else said that swapping out IC70 didn't help either.

I suppose the right test is to lift everything that might be driven by 3.3V until R120 and R121 read correctly but I haven't had the time.  Any better ideas or information would be appreciated.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
abec (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:19:07 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 08:13:35 AM by abec

Check your 3.3V either at the test header by the ethernet controller, or measure across C286 (which is an output cap for the 3.3V regulator, and should measure 3.3V at all times). Some folks that messed up resistors on the VRMs (usually missing or bad connection, haven't heard about a bridge yet) have reported that it fried that regulator.

I checked the power at the debug and C286, I am getting .8 volts at both locations, on my other devices they are all getting 3.3V at those locations.  I checked the power coming in, its 12.8v, C284 is 12.8v, C285 and C286 are both 0.8v.

R120 is doing .6v but on my other units its doing 2.5v

Where do you think I should try and go from here.  Sorry it took so long, I just got back from vacation.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: