Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:10:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying on 1 exchange and selling on another  (Read 6072 times)
adam9317 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:10:57 PM

Hi I have a quick question,

Will you ever make much profit from buying bitcoin on 1 exchange and selling on another. I wouldn't want to be selling on Mt Gox as I understand there has been problems with USD withdrawls.

Thankyou for your help

In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:12:56 PM

this practice is known as arbitrage, it's possible, but it's currently hard to do because the exchanges have pretty long withdrawal times.
adam9317 (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:19:32 PM

this practice is known as arbitrage, it's possible, but it's currently hard to do because the exchanges have pretty long withdrawal times.

Thanks for your help

Rluner

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:44:58 PM

I'm sure a lot of users do this already but don't admit it.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 03:48:29 PM

Nonsense. its not practical because of the time taken to withdraw cash from exchanges. Any arbitrage opportunity is quickly filled by market forces.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:08:16 PM

Nonsense. its not practical because of the time taken to withdraw cash from exchanges. Any arbitrage opportunity is quickly filled by market forces.
I know people who did this with a profit. It's especially profitable if you convert to other currencies as well.

adam9317 (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:11:39 PM

I know people who did this with a profit. It's especially profitable if you convert to other currencies as well.

Do you know which websites are best for this?

Sindelar1938

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:12:40 PM

No, arbitrage is not currently possible across btc exchanges due to extraction limits and long times

EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:48:20 PM

Right now it's not the best time to do this because of big swings. BTC goes up and down by 100$ each day so you can earn without arbitrage.
When a price is more stable it can be profitable. Example - Mt.Gox USD price is always higher than other exchanges, if you buy on btc-e or bitstamp and sell on gox you have instant profit, but as others wrote here, the withdrawal time is long so it may take weeks before you get your fiat and can buy again.

adam9317 (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 05:11:49 PM

Right now it's not the best time to do this because of big swings. BTC goes up and down by 100$ each day so you can earn without arbitrage.
When a price is more stable it can be profitable. Example - Mt.Gox USD price is always higher than other exchanges, if you buy on btc-e or bitstamp and sell on gox you have instant profit, but as others wrote here, the withdrawal time is long so it may take weeks before you get your fiat and can buy again.

Thankyou for your help

daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:13:38 PM

I wrote me a bot to check for opportunities, but it's long ago, that I actually did such trades. It might work, if 2 parties in different countries collaborate, though.

Kinderachtig

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:42:30 PM

There are websites which make this possible.
There is a particulair site where you can sell bitcoins for 3100 TRL (= 1550 usd) fixed price.

My secret Smiley
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:30:46 AM

There is a particulair site where you can sell bitcoins for 3100 TRL (= 1550 usd) fixed price.

My secret Smiley

Thanks for sharing that.  Very useful.
tskweres

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 08:27:38 AM

Customers of ours have had really great success arbing between us and Bitstamp. In many cases the BTC spread has been $70 or more.

Travis Skweres
CEO - Coin Market
https://www.coinmkt.com/
dc0ded

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 11:09:36 AM

My secret Smiley

Do you mind sharing the website's URL with me on personal message?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:11:53 PM

Customers of ours have had really great success arbing between us and Bitstamp. In many cases the BTC spread has been $70 or more.

And who is "us" if you don't mind me asking?
atlosas

Activity: 248
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:57:05 PM

I do a lot of arbitrage and it is possible. Some markets are usually higher in price and some are lower. Buy on btc-e and bitstamp and sell on smaller ones.
adam9317 (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:45:25 PM

Can you share the URL with me on PM as well.

zhinkk

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 10:01:07 PM

As others have stated, arbitrage is definitely a thing and I even saw a guide on it somewhere, but the long withdraw times and the volatility of bitcoin doesn't work well together. You'd be better off just day trading it or holding it or whatever you do to make money instead of arbitrage.
Ruzka

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 11:52:50 PM

It's possible but usually not worth the trouble and the fees. Undecided

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: