Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:34:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitburner Fury (single) board (40-60 GH/s) with broken USB port: what can I do?  (Read 1591 times)
fabrcop (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:32:41 PM
Last edit: December 15, 2013, 05:22:12 PM by fabrcop

I have read that this problem often occurs, and it happened to me, too:
the micro-USB port detached from my Bitburner Fury (40-60 GH/s) single board
(I have no other boards to connect to, through CAN Bus).

So, what can I do now?

I would solder it by myself, if the port was not so small!
(By the way, I guess it is better to get a new micro-USB port, since the detached one seems deformed: I hope a new one is easy to find).
Who can do that job? I live in a little town (in Italy) where there are a few PC repairers (or TV repairers, for example) but I am not sure that such a work is simple enough for a standard repairer (and possibly inexpensively).

Otherwise: isn't there an alternative way to connect the board to the PC (or somehow to the net) ?!
Consider that I have only one board, so I guess that the CAN bus is useless for that purpose (isn't it?).

Also consider that I purchased the miner on Ebay and I received no instructions at all, but only the USB cable and a Raspberry Pi with a 4GB SD card. I received nearly no help from the seller.

I searched the web to realize what I had to do, but I did not find much.
For example, I don't even know how to connect the Raspberry Pi to the miner! (Maybe through USB? That would impossible, in my case). Or... is it somehow possible a special connection from the miner to the Raspberry?

I have checked that the miner works, by connecting it to the 6-pin PCI-E, or using the standard 12V round barrel.
After a few seconds, the led becomes green and blinks. At that point, if I try to run the PIC32 Bootloader Application V1.2
(that I read about on burninmining.com) I get a USB error (of course). This is how I found that the USB port was detaching from the board.

(By the way, I have found the PIC32 Bootloader software by myself, somewhere on the web, but I don't know
where I can fond the main software, the miner).

I have also read that it's possible to fix a Bitburner Fury board with broken USB port, by using a device called PICkit 3 DV164131 (an hardware debugger? Price around 50 EUR). Here is the post:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=294735.msg3371051#msg3371051
However, I read at the end of the post:
"After 'Program' is completed, the new firmware is installed and you can disconnect the PicKit and use your board for mining."
What?! If I disconnect the kit, how can I stay connected with the Internet for mining??
I reread the post and I understand that purpose is only to "update" the board.
This does not solve my puzzle: how can the board (without USB) do mining after the update? No USB, no more PICkit... So, which connection should be there?
(Maybe this solution only applies to a non-single board that is connected via CAN-Bus to another
one, with a functioning USB port??).

If no other solution is possible: is it likely that someone who already has another board (with functioning USB), buys my board, and use it through the CAN bus? I guess that my board does work (the led works fine). Of course, I would sell it with a discount, but not very much, since the board should be fully functional (via CAN bus) for the buyer.

Please help me.

Thank you.

Fabrizio
fabrcop
Italy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BigJon901

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 06:07:19 PM

You should see about getting the usb connector repaired, try some computer repair shops or even cell phone repair shops they do alot of micro-usb repair since people are always breaking them in their phones. Also the area where the port is should have distinctive traces for the USB, you can always jury rig a cable (USB has 4 or 5 wires GND,+5V,Data-,Data+, and sometimes ID). I'm not sure what micro controller the board uses but you can get the usb pins from a data sheet online.

Computer Engineering Technologist
Pentium100

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:01:56 PM

The device is completely broken, you should send it to me for proper disposal Smiley

Nah, just solder in a new port.

1GStzEi48CnQN6DgR1s3uAzB8ucuwdcvig
zuqka

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:43:46 PM

Check your pm mate, I might be interested!

nxt: NXT-2V7G-C8BY-KTYY-CAHNU * btc: 19UcQHepGvXb2fDcAMBJo1a3iduqBNXaGw * byte: XJBP46RQ7OZ6KKY4IXKL73VQBDKRIYJ4
fabrcop (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:08:15 PM

Update:
I have found a Panasonic repair shop that perhaps will do it for me.  Smiley
However, they are not sure they will, because (they say) different kinds of micro-USB ports exist (??) and they must check if they have or can get the right one. (This seems strange to me: I believe that there must be only one kind of micro-USB port!)
If they will not do it, I think I will resell the board  Embarrassed (not for cheap, though).
By the way, other repair shops refused to do this job: a Samsung, a Sony, two PC, and a generic electronics repair shops.
Fabrizio
fabrcop
erhanzeynel

Activity: 49
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 08:17:02 AM

they right theri is few micro usb connectors with little differences. One has 5 pins, one has 4 pins also one 4p is smt other one is soldering trought hole. But totally its a little job. it must take maximum 15 minutes.

İf they refuse send it to me (Turkey). I will do it free, only fee is I will keep board for 5 hr. to taste (not test Cheesy ) it. Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: