Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:47:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin & Tax Write-Off  (Read 2392 times)
huryde (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 05:27:22 PM

So it seems safe to say you must report earnings if you had funds from trading on exchanges deposited in your account to the IRS. If you are mining at home can you write off a portion of your electrical bill?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tax_compliance
Quote:
What expenses can I deduct/expense/itemize if I set up a Bitcoin mining operation?
That depends on your situation. Generally speaking, though, you can deduct business expenses that are ordinary and necessary. Buying video cards would be both of these, buying a big screen TV to watch while mining would be neither.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:37:14 AM

So it seems safe to say you must report earnings if you had funds from trading on exchanges deposited in your account to the IRS. If you are mining at home can you write off a portion of your electrical bill?

Quote:
What expenses can I deduct/expense/itemize if I set up a Bitcoin mining operation?
That depends on your situation. Generally speaking, though, you can deduct business expenses that are ordinary and necessary. Buying video cards would be both of these, buying a big screen TV to watch while mining would be neither.

I would argue that the electricity used for mining is an absolute necessity for the business and hence an expense, but I don't work for the IRS. Surely this crops up with other businesses? Whether you can deduct electricity charges?
mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 05:59:10 AM

Quote:

Yes, but there are a lot of rules you need to follow if you are operating a business out of your home. If you are attempting to write off electricity you probable need to have a separate meter on your mining equipment so you can say exactly how much electricity it is using and write off that portion.

Also note that you are writing it off against your mining income. So you need to declare every satoshi you mine and the exchange rate it was at the time you mined it and declare it as income.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:07:11 AM

Quote:

Yes, but there are a lot of rules you need to follow if you are operating a business out of your home. If you are attempting to write off electricity you probable need to have a separate meter on your mining equipment so you can say exactly how much electricity it is using and write off that portion.

Also note that you are writing it off against your mining income. So you need to declare every satoshi you mine and the exchange rate it was at the time you mined it and declare it as income.

I'm glad I don't live in the "land of the free" then Wink
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:15:18 AM

Quote:

Well that first bit is simply not true.  You can make estimates as long as they are reasonable (for instance, 24/7 mining @ 275w per device for 3 devices = $X).
mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 04:55:42 PM

Quote:

Well that first bit is simply not true.  You can make estimates as long as they are reasonable (for instance, 24/7 mining @ 275w per device for 3 devices = $X).

Sure, unless you are audited, then you might have some trouble. Saying that you have a business out of your home is a big red flag for being audited. You need to keep your business and personal expenses very separate.
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 05:54:44 PM

Yes I believe you can only write off business related expenses if you say that your business is mining (this may only be in my state and some others, I'm not sure of federal).  Otherwise it will be considered a hobby and you can't deduct losses and expenses.  Running a business, particularly out of home is a big risk of audit.  Plus especially if it's BTC, I mean will most people at IRS know what BTC is?  Much different than saying you're a plumber or something who runs a business out of home.  Good luck but I'd err on the side of paying more as I'm worried IRS wants to make example out of someone for BTC.  Or, you could say it's small potatoes and they won't care.  hard to say

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: