Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:25:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The database is inevitably corrupt  (Read 1117 times)
Darpy (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 06:18:01 PM

Not once have I been able to install a Bitcoin-QT wallet without it being corrupt. I get the "Database corrupt" error box as it scans the database for the first time. The only option is to click "Ok" and then the whole thing shuts down. If I start it again I get the error immediately and once again it shuts down, so it is a catch 22. I can't rescan the database.

I have tried a number of things like deleting the .bitcoin directory or just deleting the database files in that directory. That allows bitcoin-QT to restart, but before it is finished rescanning the database I get the corrupt error again.

I have tried to installing it from a variety of sources both on my Suse 12.3, 64 bit machine and my wife's Windows XP machine. The Linux machine has 230 GB of free space on the HHD. I'm not sure about the XP machine.

I have tried about 14 times to install a wallet now. What is the problem? Are wallets always fragile and prone to corruption? I'm trying to wrap my head around this whole bitcoin thing, but can't even get to first base. Can anyone explain to me what is going on?

Also, I notice that bitcoin-QT is experimental software. Is there an application out here that is not experimental? With millions of dollars being exchanged there has to be a solid, fool proof application out there. What is it? How do people normally do bitcoin transactions?

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AmericanBit

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:12:04 PM

google "bitcoin blockchain wallet" or just get an account at coinbase.com
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:38:39 AM

Not once have I been able to install a Bitcoin-QT wallet without it being corrupt. I get the "Database corrupt" error box as it scans the database for the first time. The only option is to click "Ok" and then the whole thing shuts down. If I start it again I get the error immediately and once again it shuts down, so it is a catch 22. I can't rescan the database.

I have tried a number of things like deleting the .bitcoin directory or just deleting the database files in that directory. That allows bitcoin-QT to restart, but before it is finished rescanning the database I get the corrupt error again.

I have tried to installing it from a variety of sources both on my Suse 12.3, 64 bit machine and my wife's Windows XP machine. The Linux machine has 230 GB of free space on the HHD. I'm not sure about the XP machine.

I have tried about 14 times to install a wallet now. What is the problem? Are wallets always fragile and prone to corruption? I'm trying to wrap my head around this whole bitcoin thing, but can't even get to first base. Can anyone explain to me what is going on?

Also, I notice that bitcoin-QT is experimental software. Is there an application out here that is not experimental? With millions of dollars being exchanged there has to be a solid, fool proof application out there. What is it? How do people normally do bitcoin transactions?

Thanks.

Use electrum (electrum.org) if you just want to perform transactions. There is no "downloading of the blockchain" which as you say, is a complete PITA
Qbeczeq

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 04:52:35 PM

Look in this topic. You MUST use PC client of wallet? There's plenty of online wallets to use Wink
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=372459.0

You can easly generate wallet (even nice paper version) too, here:
https://www.bitaddress.org
Darpy (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:50:15 AM

Sorry Prome, but what does that mean?

Thanks for the advise everyone.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:33:31 AM

Bitcoin itself is experimental and risky. So no there is no uber stable bitcoin wallet software.

But the problems you are facing are definitely extraordinary. I suspect there is a problem with your PC's hardware. Bitcoin-QT puts a lot of stress on your PC when it is downloading the blockchain. The hard disk, CPU and maybe RAM is stressed the most. If your hardware is not up to scratch it can fail under the stress. I suggest you do a scan for bad sectors on your hard drive. Repeated corruption of the database suggests a failing hard drive.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:39:57 AM

Bitcoin itself is experimental and risky. So no there is no uber stable bitcoin wallet software.

But the problems you are facing are definitely extraordinary. I suspect there is a problem with your PC's hardware. Bitcoin-QT puts a lot of stress on your PC when it is downloading the blockchain. The hard disk, CPU and maybe RAM is stressed the most. If your hardware is not up to scratch it can fail under the stress. I suggest you do a scan for bad sectors on your hard drive. Repeated corruption of the database suggests a failing hard drive.

The guy clearly doesn't need qt. He said "How do people normally do bitcoin transactions?"

He just wants to do normal transactions, and you point out yourself so vividly all the stresses qt places on a typical system.

Have you ever tried electrum? It places no strain on your system, and is running in 2 minutes ..... and yes, its stable as well.

We want to get normal people using bitcoin and keep recommending they use qt. What gives?
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:56:05 AM

The guy clearly doesn't need qt. He said "How do people normally do bitcoin transactions?"

He just wants to do normal transactions, and you point out yourself so vividly all the stresses qt places on a typical system.

Have you ever tried electrum? It places no strain on your system, and is running in 2 minutes ..... and yes, its stable as well.

We want to get normal people using bitcoin and keep recommending they use qt. What gives?

It doesn't matter what wallet he uses if his hardware is flaky it will always cause problems for him. So that is why I recommended he test his hard drive.
Prome

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:27:45 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 08:16:18 AM by Prome

-
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:36:27 PM

no, we don't.
http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: