Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 02:17:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how does one make money?  (Read 677 times)
sincerecorn (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 06:45:38 PM

how do you make money off of this? from my rig:

~400w power consumption, 18cents for power, and  im at 360mh/s. im still losing money. how does someone make money? doesn't more graphics cards = more power consumption = higher power bill = not worth it?
BlockChainLottery

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

AwesomeDice.net

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 06:49:15 PM

Nowadays the only way is to rent hashing power or to buy ASICs.
Otherwise you just have an electronic heater.

ilou

Activity: 18

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:11:59 PM

Another way to make money of this all is to sell rigs I presume, or to offer mining contracts off your rigs, or to provides services like mining pool or even better a trading place.

In other words I think if you are on the right product (coin) at the right time window you can make money, but the more it gets known the harder it gets.

And then those who make most profit out of it are probably those who sell services or hadware around the crypto currency world.
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:16:04 PM

~400w power consumption, 18cents for power, and  im at 360mh/s. im still losing money. how does someone make money? doesn't more graphics cards = more power consumption = higher power bill = not worth it?
If you would have mined DOGecoins for all last week with that miner, you would have had atleast $2000 right now  Grin

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
fast-pool.com

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 07:20:10 PM

im based on uni and all my rigs are located in uni on free power
mucmalc3

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:08:37 PM

Best way would be to add a time machine and go back a couple of years? Smiley Sorry, sarcastic post I know.
Spencer

Activity: 35

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:39:54 PM

Honestly altcoins are about the only way to go for a normal rig like that.  I wish I'd gotten into Doges a week ago, seeing as they have an exchange now I believe.

There's plenty of 'profit switching' pools that pay you in BTC.  However, they basically assault whatever coin's network they determine is most profitable until another coin is more profitable.  Call me what you will, but I use them because I need short term cash/BTC.  I get about .004 BTC a day average with 310 kh/s on Middlecoin.  Hopefully I'll get a decent bit more once I hijack my brother's computer and get the 6770 in the mail.  I could hopefully double my kh/s for $35, which is the cost of the 6770 I got and am planning to slap in my PC alongside my 7870.    

Anyways, I'm not sure about other similar pools.  You could also just mine Litecoins, which is not looked down upon so much I guess

There's no real way to make much from direct Bitcoin mining with GPUs anymore.  Even if you had free power, your profits will be really small.  I'm not even sure I'd technically make money on Bitcoin mining with 310 kh/s and basically free to me power.  My parents pay $.05/kwh and they said it's no big deal if power costs go up a bit.  I think I'm using like $.15 of power per day so that's basically nothing considering my $3-5 a day profits that I've observed over the short term.  Litecoin mining would also give similar profits (same ballpark at least) at this point, I think.  I'm not super knowledgeable about them.  Pretty sure you'd turn a profit anyways.
MargaretsDream

Activity: 162

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:00:41 PM

~400w power consumption, 18cents for power, and  im at 360mh/s. im still losing money. how does someone make money? doesn't more graphics cards = more power consumption = higher power bill = not worth it?
If you would have mined DOGecoins for all last week with that miner, you would have had atleast $2000 right now  Grin

Obviously the  DogeCoins comment is joke, this coin does not have value  Wink

To the OP: you have to mine scryptcoins with your GPU and exchange to Bitcoin
ajax3592

Activity: 210

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:04:20 PM

~400w power consumption, 18cents for power, and  im at 360mh/s. im still losing money. how does someone make money? doesn't more graphics cards = more power consumption = higher power bill = not worth it?
If you would have mined DOGecoins for all last week with that miner, you would have had atleast $2000 right now  Grin

Obviously the  DogeCoins comment is joke, this coin does not have value  Wink

Joke ? Absolutely not buddy the 1 million DOGecoins that I hold right now are worth 0.65BTC They are being traded on coinedup.com
and Cryptsy wishes to add them soon, Winklevoss were discussing about them on reddit.
It's heading towards $1 per DOGE in about 6 months and I'm holding mine for atleast a year.

Guess what, joke just turned into reality  Smiley

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 11:07:12 PM

400w for only 300 MH/s?

You do know a USB miner running at 330MH/s is only like 2.5w power consumption right?
If your mining in MegaHashes, I suggest you stop, it won't really get you anywhere with bitcoin IMO.
MargaretsDream

Activity: 162

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:07:40 PM

Obviously the  DogeCoins comment is joke, this coin does not have value  Wink

Joke ? Absolutely not buddy the 1 million DOGecoins that I hold right now are worth 0.65BTC They are being traded on coinedup.com
and Cryptsy wishes to add them soon, Winklevoss were discussing about them on reddit.
It's heading towards $1 per DOGE in about 6 months and I'm holding mine for atleast a year.

Guess what, joke just turned into reality  Smiley

Ok, sell before you cant  Wink
The pump stage wont last forever  Smiley
ElectricCake

Activity: 37

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:23:09 PM

Some people actually pay for these coins for the novelty factor, like they will pay for a certain amount of Dogecoins and just keep them as a souvenir or as a thing they can laugh about from time to time.
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:36:59 PM

Some people actually pay for these coins for the novelty factor, like they will pay for a certain amount of Dogecoins and just keep them as a souvenir or as a thing they can laugh about from time to time.

except they aren't funny.  now if they had cheezburger coins aka icanhazfakecurrency...??
hromobiti

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:38:18 PM

Seems you have ATI 5850, I got 350mh/s when I mined Bitcoin early this year  Smiley

But today you have to mine Scrypt based coins, the speed is about 400 kh/s
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: