Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 05:55:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bandwidth required to keep updated bitcoin-qt wallet?  (Read 648 times)
jap1968 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 06:54:28 PM

Hello,

Just landed in the cryptocoins universe. Still learning about that.

I have downloaded bitcoin-qt wallet, and I am waiting for it to synchronize. I am a bit worried because my available bandwidth is a rather limited.
I still need to synchronize the last 14 weeks, but I'm afraid that will take at least 24 hour.

Bitcoin transactions are exponentially growing these days, so I start worrying about the possibility of being unable to keep my wallet updated. Even If I shut off my computer for just a few days, I will have to wait many hours or even days to have it once again synchronized.

I prefer to keep my own wallet instead of using a web based one, but may be I will have to abandon this idea.

Do you know about current bandwidth requirements to keep a synchronized wallet? And, what will happen in one month? Is this sustainable?

Regards,

José Antonio
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:00:00 PM

how limited is your bandwidth?

i leave my qt closed for days at a time. it takes 10 - 15 minutes to resynch. sometimes it gets frozen. close and restart the client if it stops and is frozen on the same block for a long time

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Boylita

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:02:28 PM

Hello,

I have downloaded bitcoin-qt wallet, and I am waiting for it to synchronize. I am a bit worried because my available bandwidth is a rather limited.
I still need to synchronize the last 14 weeks, but I'm afraid that will take at least 24 hour.

Bitcoin transactions are exponentially growing these days, so I start worrying about the possibility of being unable to keep my wallet updated. Even If I shut off my computer for just a few days, I will have to wait many hours or even days to have it once again synchronized.

I prefer to keep my own wallet instead of using a web based one, but may be I will have to abandon this idea.

Do you know about current bandwidth requirements to keep a synchronized wallet? And, what will happen in one month? Is this sustainable?

Regards,

José Antonio

Welcome.
Right now, the block data is over 14GB, and will continue to grow.
If you have limited space or bandwidth, you may take a look at the lightweight wallet such as Multibit and Electrum.
BlockChainLottery

Activity: 332

AwesomeDice.net

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 07:04:01 PM

The block chain grows with approximately 30MB per day. https://blockchain.info/nl/charts/blocks-size
But when your computer is not very fast, it also takes some time to verify and index the blocks if you start up your client again.

ilou

Activity: 18

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:04:51 PM

Yes bitcoin wallet will takes hours to first synchronize and probably in the area you mention.

More on bandwith, size of the data to download to be synced here:
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/3861/how-many-mb-of-data-does-my-bitcoin-client-have-to-download-to-be-fully-syncd
Tillaote

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:13:58 PM

Hello,

Regards,

José Antonio

Welcome.
Right now, the block data is over 14GB, and will continue to grow.
If you have limited space or bandwidth, you may take a look at the lightweight wallet such as Multibit and Electrum.

Hi, I am new here as well.
Is there any cons for using lightweight wallet over bitcoin-qt?
BlockChainLottery

Activity: 332

AwesomeDice.net

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 07:17:52 PM

Yes, you don't have to download the whole block chain.
But I don't know if it's really safe, I remember reading that it should be with future light weight clients.

Leifust

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:36:12 PM

Yes, you don't have to download the whole block chain.
But I don't know if it's really safe, I remember reading that it should be with future light weight clients.

I believe the lightweight one is enough for ordinary user, and it is way more user-friendly IMHO.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: