Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:49:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Average investment in the BIT Trust is $700k  (Read 1116 times)
ohiofarmer (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 07:35:17 PM

The BIT Trust said they've raised $65 million in bitcoin investments in two months (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/11/us-etf-bitcoin-secondmarket-idUSBRE9BA15520131211), and that it comes from just 90 investors. That's an average investment of more than $700k. That's definitely not chump change. The crazy part is, that's barely one half of one percent of the total market cap for bitcoin.

If the Winklevoss ETF ever gets approved, we're going to see a lot more than $32 million a month flow into bitcoin. Unfortunately, that article says it could take the SEC "years" to approve the ETF.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinpsftp

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 07:48:40 PM

I think that if the SEC were to approve it, bitcoin prices would more than double.  Wow, how nice it would be to have insider information on when/if they will improve.  One could make a killing on bitcoins in just a day.

ohiofarmer (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 07:54:54 PM

I think that if the SEC were to approve it, bitcoin prices would more than double.  Wow, how nice it would be to have insider information on when/if they will improve.  One could make a killing on bitcoins in just a day.

Agreed. I think bitcoin won't actually enter a "mania" phase until we get a public ETF. Right now, it's just a lot for your average person to understand/figure out how to buy bitcoin. It seems easy to all of us, but when I talk about it with other people, they get a sneer and look at it like it's some sort of scammish fad... If investing in bitcoin is as easy as buying shares in Google or Apple, people are going to be all over it.

I don't see why a bitcoin ETF couldn't grow as large as the gold ETF (GLD), which is currently worth $33 billion. That would triple the value of bitcoin...

bitcoinpsftp

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:09:42 PM

Agreed. I think bitcoin won't actually enter a "mania" phase until we get a public ETF. Right now, it's just a lot for your average person to understand/figure out how to buy bitcoin. It seems easy to all of us, but when I talk about it with other people, they get a sneer and look at it like it's some sort of scammish fad... If investing in bitcoin is as easy as buying shares in Google or Apple, people are going to be all over it.

I don't see why a bitcoin ETF couldn't grow as large as the gold ETF (GLD), which is currently worth $33 billion. That would triple the value of bitcoin...

Only tripple?  I think it would do more than that.  I think also one of the main reasons that many people are not investing, is because ITS SO DAMN HARD to put money into bitcoins.  Very hard to buy them.  An ETF would make it a piece of cake to buy shares.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:12:02 PM

When the Barclays Silver ETC (SLV) was approved in 2006 (after about a year), there was a period of about a month after they “cleared the last regulatory hurdle” from the SEC, and when it got final approval.  Likewise, there was a potential a period of about a week from when they got final approval and when it could begin trading, although iirc it was only a day or two.  

So, there could conceivably be some notice.

I agree though that I think the SEC is going to drag its heels and be slow to approve this if they ever do.  Silver did go from around $10/oz in April 2006 to around $50 to around $20, some of which may have been due to the ETF.

It is good that there is money behind this because it could be a long, expensive process.

I think that if the SEC were to approve it, bitcoin prices would more than double.  Wow, how nice it would be to have insider information on when/if they will improve.  One could make a killing on bitcoins in just a day.
ohiofarmer (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 08:15:29 PM

When the Barclays Silver ETC (SLV) was approved in 2006 (after about a year), there was a period of about a month after they “cleared the last regulatory hurdle” from the SEC, and when it got final approval.  Likewise, there was a potential a period of about a week from when they got final approval and when it could begin trading, although iirc it was only a day or two.  

So, there could conceivably be some notice.

I agree though that I think the SEC is going to drag its heels and be slow to approve this if they ever do.  Silver did go from around $10/oz in April 2006 to around $50 to around $20, some of which may have been due to the ETF.

It is good that there is money behind this because it could be a long, expensive process.

I plan to keep accumulating bitcoin until the IPO. I'd REALLY love to see an alternative currency ETF, too, something that invested in a basket of the top 20 largest cryptos... That would really do well. If only I had the money to start one!

btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:16:46 PM

I think you underestimate how much $65 million has moved the price already... you would be better served looking at real figures rather than the market cap. The market cap tells you nothing that the price doesn't.
bitcoinpsftp

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:17:07 PM

I do think though that the price of the share could never go lower than when they come out.  People will make a butt load of money on this ETF.  Only bad thing could be a catosrophic event like loss of the entire internet, or a better alt coin taking over.  But huge money to be made by investing.

EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:44:58 PM

Right now, it's just a lot for your average person to understand/figure out how to buy bitcoin. It seems easy to all of us, but when I talk about it with other people, they get a sneer and look at it like it's some sort of scammish fad...

I talked about it with my father, who is in his 70's, and when he heard that you have to buy the currency from another person, not a financial institution, it was like someone standing behind me started waving a banner with "scam" written on it. Even though older people have been scammed by the system many times, they would still support it over this mysterious computer network  made by some youngsters who don't know real life... Somebody said that we aren't ready for BTC yet and he might be right.

bitcoinpsftp

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 08:46:29 PM

Right now, it's just a lot for your average person to understand/figure out how to buy bitcoin. It seems easy to all of us, but when I talk about it with other people, they get a sneer and look at it like it's some sort of scammish fad...

I talked about it with my father, who is in his 70's, and when he heard that you have to buy the currency from another person, not a financial institution, it was like someone standing behind me started waving a banner with "scam" written on it. Even though older people have been scammed by the system many times, they would still support it over these mysterious computer network  made by some youngsters who don't know real life... Somebody said that we aren't ready for BTC yet and he might be right.

I had the exact same experience.  First question was "Do I have to send the money first to receive them".  Automatic scam alert is what people get.  Hopefully things will get easier as time goes by.

Cryptolator

Activity: 508

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:34:38 PM

The BIT Trust said they've raised $65 million in bitcoin investments in two months (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/11/us-etf-bitcoin-secondmarket-idUSBRE9BA15520131211), and that it comes from just 90 investors. That's an average investment of more than $700k. That's definitely not chump change. The crazy part is, that's barely one half of one percent of the total market cap for bitcoin.

If the Winklevoss ETF ever gets approved, we're going to see a lot more than $32 million a month flow into bitcoin. Unfortunately, that article says it could take the SEC "years" to approve the ETF.

That's crazy, can't wait to see what will happen in 2014 !
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 03:07:23 AM

No doubt you'll see a sharp rise before the ETF gets approved. The SEC guys who approve it are going to make a killing
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 04:26:54 AM

you don't need to know precisely when.  now's the time to make your move.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: