Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:07:33 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MERITS?  (Read 370 times)
matthewio (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 1

bitcoin is great

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2018, 10:24:53 PM

I have wondered if I joined this forum too late.I kind of imagine it was easier for someone to get merit point in the earlier days. It is kind of very difficult to grow in level on the platform with the way things are structure.Then there is the problem of those selling merits,making it difficult for accounts that have made genuine contributions-without spaming.It doesnt look too nice to see so much activities on an account yet no corresponding merits.

DO you think merits can be improved upon?
wilberthh

Activity: 462
Merit: 12

Indonesian Translator, #1 Quality is prioritized.

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 10:31:25 PM

In my opinion regardless in earlier days or not it's still hard for genuine users to get merits in this platform. Also I think people don't really share merits with others, perhaps there are few higher ranks who would give away merits if they see quality posts but I think it's like 1 out of 100 people in this platform.

Merits in my opinion is indeed improving / force other users to post quality posts but I think there are lots of people who post quality posts but don't get the merits they deserved. I think merits system should be revised though. Or at least lowering it in order to be able to rank up because somehow it seems a bit impossible to get it without buying merits.

Also, I think you are posting this in a wrong sub-forum eh? or it's just me??
OluwaTosin10

Activity: 546
Merit: 4

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 10:49:05 PM

I think merits are on strike, and to develop the site and block spammers, There has been certain restrictions
Your comments have to be so inspiring and touching to deserve a merit

Or your post has to be very knowledgeable as well
Keep working
merits will come
Polipog

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 11:33:42 PM

The merit system still exist, and more of us were accept the reality on merit system. Although it has provide good resistance to the level of quality post, but I don't think how merit really important, maybe merit only used for the purpose of some people using multiple accounts users. In total ratings, merit still good to be used as a rule in order to have good balancing system in the forum.
cutikanzilong

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 11:38:47 PM

I have wondered if I joined this forum too late.I kind of imagine it was easier for someone to get merit point in the earlier days. It is kind of very difficult to grow in level on the platform with the way things are structure.Then there is the problem of those selling merits,making it difficult for accounts that have made genuine contributions-without spaming.It doesnt look too nice to see so much activities on an account yet no corresponding merits.

I think with this merit system for users who have just joined in this forum will be very difficult to get a higher rank. This policy may be issued because more and more users are in this forum and then made a merit system so that users post quality that is not spam
kirstiemorton23

Activity: 280
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 11:47:07 PM

I agree with you, with the enforcement of merit system, making post quality more attractive and reducing spam, everyone is working hard and thinking to make quality posts, but I think the post we discussed is the same topic, we just repeat the same thing, I think the system of achievement should be reviewed.
akopjpuge

Activity: 236
Merit: 4

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 11:49:00 PM

its just you have to have a good and healthy conversations or topic, good thread is about good merit when someone like how you conversate with others
iconoclast

Activity: 770
Merit: 102

Matrix Built On An Ethereum Smart Contract

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 12:05:37 AM

You joined too late. If you had joined a couple of years ago you could have risen up the ranks by making posts. Since they introduced the merit system it is pretty much impossible for any new person to rise above member rank in a normal human lifetime. Unless of course your a cheater or a sycophant.

boss1dg

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 12:12:49 AM

merit system was introduced in january 2018 bcoz of increasing spam posts and account farming .
but rank system will be a concern for person who was not at higher rank before before changes .
old members may not need merit for rank but still getting more merits will show them reliable and helpful person . so they too need to do hard work for earning more merits whether he is hero or legendary .

it may take time for you to be at higher rank , but it will help you to improve post quality .

however apart from above benefits of merit system , me too find that people are not spending smerits properly and sources are less .

wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 12:35:11 AM
Merited by DdmrDdmr (1)

I completely recognize that the merit system has made it more difficult to rank up in this forum. My account was grandfathered in as I've been around for a while and got my rank back when posts and activity were the only criteria. So, when it comes to what shows up on your profile in this particular forum, you newbies have it more difficult.

With that said, keep in mind that this forum is primarily a place where you can learn about cryptocurrencies in general, and also specific projects. For example, if you read some news article about a particular alt coin and you're interested in learning more, you can find its main thread on this forum. It's helpfully linked to on its page on CoinMarketcap.com This forum is also a place to network. You connect with people based on common interests and if you have skills you might put them to work in service of a project you want to support, either as a volunteer or paid contractor.

Once you get involved in a subcommunity here, once you start to get to know people and work with people, honestly no one cares about your rank, so don't worry about it. The only time it really comes into play is with signature campaigns as higher ranking members have more options. But as far as contributing meaningfully to a project or coin's development, your rank here will not limit you at all, so don't worry about it.

The reason most of us old timers who actually have spendable merit don't use it more often is because for the most part we don't care, so we don't think of it. I don't judge you by your forum rank.

I imagine you came here with the goal of getting more involved in the cryptocurrency industry. Then you saw the ranking system and perhaps you got a little sidetracked? Remember your original goal and stick to it.
jajulway

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2018, 02:01:45 AM

i am a beginner and on my way to become jr member, so i could join some bounties, but my friend told me a bad news that makes me down...he said to join bounty, we have to have merit, and more difficult to earn some btc recently....what should i do to get merit ?
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2800
Merit: 3851

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 02:24:42 AM

The merit system still exist, and more of us were accept the reality on merit system. Although it has provide good resistance to the level of quality post, but I don't think how merit really important, maybe merit only used for the purpose of some people using multiple accounts users. In total ratings, merit still good to be used as a rule in order to have good balancing system in the forum.

The merit system is one of the best updates here on bitcointalk as of now. People used to be able to spam their way up the ladder easily; they could even reach Hero Member status without even knowing much. This significantly lower the amount of spammers that could join campaigns, which is very very good in my opinion.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Gimblaz

Activity: 115

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 05:20:43 AM

My friend told me that to get merits should be patien and wait There are good people who give it because now There are new rules to get merits
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3261

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 05:57:15 AM

If you have joined this forum in order to make money then you have joined the wrong forum. I think the merit system is working well. It has removed much of the motivation for people to post drivel.

There are still plenty of people that spam, but I predict that they will stop when they find out that it is doing them no good, and hopefully they will begin to participate in a meaningful way..

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
HappyMod

Activity: 224
Merit: 2

ICO Communtiy Management & Engagement happymod.io

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2018, 06:24:03 AM

Hi Matthewio,

As you can see I have many posts, and I have helped many people answering their questions (in far detail). Yes, perhaps it is easier to grow merit. However, like odolvlobo just mentioned many people spam and topics are getting flooded with new messages. Therefore, I may assume most replies et burried in the many messages and therefore receive no merit.

Next to that, perhaps a person wasn't satisfied enough with your reply for merit after all. I would say keep doing what you are doing and grow your account, BitcoinTalk is not all about merit, it is about information/knowledge sharing and I'm having fun doing so regardless of the merit.

Startup for Cryptocurrency Community Management, Engagement and Marketing. Expert in ICO Advising and moderation of social media platforms happymod.io
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 02:01:20 PM

i am a beginner and on my way to become jr member, so i could join some bounties, but my friend told me a bad news that makes me down...he said to join bounty, we have to have merit, and more difficult to earn some btc recently....what should i do to get merit ?

You need to have a reason for being here that goes beyond wanting to make money on bounties. If your only reason to be here is to get in on bounties, then I have bad news for you.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1338

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2018, 02:37:36 PM

Oh, people are still complaining about Merit system?
I can agree that now it's more difficult to rank up, but who said that it should be easy? Some people are buying Merits, but they are risking to get red trust rating, also I suspect that it would be every expensive to buy enough Merits to reach high rank. And these who are selling their sMerit sooner or later will run out of it.
I noticed that amounts of Merit that people are sending are getting smaller. It's most likely that they spent all their sMerit that their had. Maybe others are just become lazy to spend their sMerit.
And another thing - I saw stats somewhere that huge number of forum users still haven't sent any of their sMerit, I don't know, maybe they are still not aware about Merit system. If people would use their sMerit more actively we would see less people complaining that's too difficult to get Merit.
Merit system isn't perfect, but it's one of the best thing happened to Bitcointalk in recent years. It can be improved somehow, but I don't have ideas how. 

mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2800
Merit: 3851

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 02:46:02 PM

My friend told me that to get merits should be patien and wait There are good people who give it because now There are new rules to get merits

Unfortunately, patience enough wouldn't earn you merits. It's going to take good amounts of knowledge to be rewarded merits. No one is going to give you merits just because a user here is a "good person". People and I here have said this multiple times already  and I'm going to say it again. If you're here for the money, don't waste your time and go get a job instead.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 02:47:58 PM

Oh, people are still complaining about Merit system?
I can agree that now it's more difficult to rank up, but who said that it should be easy? Some people are buying Merits, but they are risking to get red trust rating, also I suspect that it would be every expensive to buy enough Merits to reach high rank. And these who are selling their sMerit sooner or later will run out of it.
I noticed that amounts of Merit that people are sending are getting smaller. It's most likely that they spent all their sMerit that their had. Maybe others are just become lazy to spend their sMerit.
And another thing - I saw stats somewhere that huge number of forum users still haven't sent any of their sMerit, I don't know, maybe they are still not aware about Merit system. If people would use their sMerit more actively we would see less people complaining that's too difficult to get Merit.
Merit system isn't perfect, but it's one of the best thing happened to Bitcointalk in recent years. It can be improved somehow, but I don't have ideas how. 

I think the way to make it better is to carefully screen some people to be merit sources. There is an application process but from what I understand it's not being vigilantly attended to. The thing is some people, including many longtime members who have s-merit, are really here to network, etc., and they don't even think of awarding merit because they don't see it as important, or maybe don't even know about it. But there are people who would love to award it but they only have a limited amount. So... the solution is to give trusted members a renewing source of merit. That way those who want to curate can, and those who aren't going to get involved in curating no matter how much s-merit they have, aren't going to be hurting anyone.
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 10854

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2018, 03:48:40 PM

The amount of smerit that is being awarded decreases each week, although these past few weeks it is kind of stabilising in the 4500-5500 range. I normally track it each week, but I’ve given it a skip this week. The question really is if that quantity is enough to sustain the faith in the system.

Besides, I’m not sure that the spamming is really decreasing too much. If people start to lose faith in the merit system the may either quit posting altogether, or post with total disrespect for merit knowing that their rank will never be a high one.

Account farmers will try various tricks to prosper, but we may see a herd of farms being created with low level ranks to make up for the loss of chance to reach higher level ranks. By this I mean that spam posting may not be reduced that much or even at all, while users that try to contribute may be discouraged by the lack of smerit overall.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: