Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:25:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to start a new Bitcoin network?  (Read 879 times)
LudwigW (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:57:11 PM

I'm not talking about creating a new alt-coin or anything, nor about becoming another node in the current Bitcoin network, nor about copying anything (e.g. bitcoins) within the current Bitcoin network, but to start a new Bitcoin network, by using Bitcoin's source code, with the exact same properties as the original Bitcoin network started out with.

Obviously this new network will be doomed to fail in that there is essentially no reason for people to join it, but if you can get a couple of friends to join it and become nodes then it's at least possible to create a new Bitcoin network, no? And of course the (eventually 21 million) bitcoins created in that network won't be fungible with the bitcoins in the original network.

I mean, with other types of software you can make identical copies. Can one do the same with Bitcoin?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:59:06 PM

yes you can, but you need to change the bootstrap nodes and the block checkpoints.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
GoodHosting

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 11:16:19 PM

I'll just leave this here.

http://www.bytecoin.biz/
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:07:09 AM

I'm not talking about creating a new alt-coin or anything, nor about becoming another node in the current Bitcoin network, nor about copying anything (e.g. bitcoins) within the current Bitcoin network, but to start a new Bitcoin network, by using Bitcoin's source code, with the exact same properties as the original Bitcoin network started out with.

Obviously this new network will be doomed to fail in that there is essentially no reason for people to join it, but if you can get a couple of friends to join it and become nodes then it's at least possible to create a new Bitcoin network, no? And of course the (eventually 21 million) bitcoins created in that network won't be fungible with the bitcoins in the original network.

I mean, with other types of software you can make identical copies. Can one do the same with Bitcoin?

"Doomed to fail"
"Essentially no reason for people to join"
"Won't be fungible"

Good luck with getting your friends to join with that pitch  Grin
LudwigW (OP)

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 04:42:03 AM

"Doomed to fail"
"Essentially no reason for people to join"
"Won't be fungible"

Good luck with getting your friends to join with that pitch  Grin
Haha! Indeed.

Fortunately the reason I aksed about it was not because I wanted to create a new Bitcoin network but because I needed the answer for a thought experiment.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: