Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:05:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do exchanges with many different coins work?  (Read 1421 times)
sleepless (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

“Crypto Depository Receipts”

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 11:07:19 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2013, 02:25:58 PM by sleepless

Hello,

I'm trying to understand exchanges. How do exchanges like cryptsy with so many different coins work?
Do they have one wallet for every coin? Are then all wallets on one server? How do they secure them?

It's not like I'm trying to make a new exchange but it interests me so I hope anyone can help here.

Thanks very much in advance!

Satyre_Noir

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 01:31:04 AM

Interesting subject, I would like to know more too.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:07:54 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to understand only exchanges. How do exchanges like cryptsy with so many different coins work?
Do they have one wallet for every coin? Are then all wallets on one server? How do they secure them?

It's not like I'm trying to make a new exchange but it interests me so I hope anyone can help here.

Thanks very much in advance!

It varies from exchange to exchange. You would need to ask each exchange their security policies.
simbo

Activity: 165

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 11:51:13 PM

My guess:

1. The exchange have 1 central wallet for each coin.
2. Once you sign up & deposited, the coins goes into the central wallet for that coin, & your account is updated.
3. When trading, only records in account is updated, no real coin movement.
4. When you withdraw, the coins is transfer from the central wallet to your wallet.

Regards.

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
sleepless (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 02:30:58 PM

Okay, seems legit. Thank you.

So they really need one wallet for each coin. Seems a bit complicated with so many different coins.
But you're right. How else should it work...

I was asking becauce I couldn't imagine that they really have so many wallets Grin

empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 05:20:25 PM

So they really need one wallet for each coin. Seems a bit complicated with so many different coins.

I was asking becauce I couldn't imagine that they really have so many wallets Grin

He did say he was guessing though Smiley
sleepless (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 05:30:38 PM

Yes, you are right. But seriously, how else should it work? I think every coin needs an own wallet, isn't it so?

empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 05:43:08 PM

Yes, you are right. But seriously, how else should it work? I think every coin needs an own wallet, isn't it so?

It certainly seems like a sensible solution. But there are always alternatives. If in doubt, don't guess, ask people who actually know.
simbo

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:32:58 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 10:36:30 AM by simbo

My guess:

Let say, for bter, they accepts various coins & RMB, then they will need a bank account in RMB & central wallet for each coin to accepts & pay out.

For security reason, the central wallet is very unlikely to be on the front end server.

For receipts & pay out of coins & RMB, it could be manually executed by a person, on a computer totally not link to the front end server.

Regards.

Update: Bter create a wallet of every coin for every client. That is a lot of wallets, not sure how scalable is their model.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 09:37:18 AM

Some may build their own like ufasoft
And for security each wallet is on a segregated machine

empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:52:34 AM

My guess:

Let say, for bter, they accepts various coins & RMB, then they will need a bank account in RMB & central wallet for each coin to accepts & pay out.

For security reason, the central wallet is very unlikely to be on the front end server.

For receipts & pay out of coins & RMB, it could be manually executed by a person, on a computer totally not link to the front end server.

Regards.

Update: Bter create a wallet of every coin for every client. That is a lot of wallets, not sure how scalable is their model.

Not sure why we are talking about RMB now .....
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 12:29:31 PM

Hes from China duh

MGUK

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 12:51:59 PM

Accounts can help with this stuff, saves having multiple wallets for each coin if you really want to handle your accounting on that level:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Accounts_explained

Using accounts probably makes auditing a bit easier (e.g. you can audit the accounts without needing the database server which maintains website accounts)

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 01:28:10 PM

Accounts can help with this stuff, saves having multiple wallets for each coin if you really want to handle your accounting on that level:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Accounts_explained

Using accounts probably makes auditing a bit easier (e.g. you can audit the accounts without needing the database server which maintains website accounts)

Accounts are a total joke. See

The sendfrom method sends coins and debits the specified account. It does **not** change Bitcoin's algorithm for selecting which coins in the wallet are sent-- you should think of the coins in the wallet as being mixed together when they are received. There is no way to ask Bitcoin to "create a payment transaction using the coins received from these previously received transactions" without using the raw transactions API(which is not part of the account system.)

What does the above mean in practice? It means you can have an account with a negative balance! There is no isolation of the different accounts at all!
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:38:29 PM

They have a VM for each type of coin, just 1 wallet on each VM, need about 5 physical servers to accommodate 50 coins or more.

They only touch the wallet for deposit/withdrawal. All other trades happen in database. They may even set up cold storage for each coin, and only have like a 10% hot wallet.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
MrBr1ghtSide

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 08:00:39 AM

My guess:

2. Once you sign up & deposited, the coins goes into the central wallet for that coin, & your account is updated.
4. When you withdraw, the coins is transfer from the central wallet to your wallet.

Regards.

1) Untrue, at least with cryptsy. (Read 2)
2) when you deposit for example bitcoins, you have to create your own private deposit address at cryptsy. When you check the account balance of your deposit address using any block explorer, you see your balance which means the coins aren't moved to a central wallet.
3) this is ofcourse true
4) coins are sent from your deposit address as you can see in the transaction history
simbo

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 08:18:41 AM

My guess:

Regards.

1) Untrue, at least with cryptsy. (Read 2)
2) when you deposit for example bitcoins, you have to create your own private deposit address at cryptsy. When you check the account balance of your deposit address using any block explorer, you see your balance which means the coins aren't moved to a central wallet.
3) this is ofcourse true
4) coins are sent from your deposit address as you can see in the transaction history

My guesses is based on how a forex exchange worked. Not sure how cryptsy works. Bter creates an address for every type of traded coin, for every account. Highly not cost efficient.

Regards.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: