Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 03:50:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Inflation  (Read 550 times)
mcscrooge (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:19:58 PM

Looking at the market capitalization here http://coinmarketcap.com/ I had the following thought:
Given the technically limited supply of Bitcoin, it is often stated deflation is literally pre-programmed relative to the currency it is traded with, and certainly not an inflation. What concerns me, is that the creation of altcoins is not limited in any way and some actually have no technical limits regarding their supply. Furthermore, they are openly proposed to be used at the same time, eg. Bitcoin and Litecoin. Therefore, investment ideas based on the principle of intrinsic deflation might turn out futile in the long run.
hromobiti

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:27:50 PM

Looking at the market capitalization here http://coinmarketcap.com/ I had the following thought:
Given the technically limited supply of Bitcoin, it is often stated deflation is literally pre-programmed relative to the currency it is traded with, and certainly not an inflation. What concerns me, is that the creation of altcoins is not limited in any way and some actually have no technical limits regarding their supply. Furthermore, they are openly proposed to be used at the same time, eg. Bitcoin and Litecoin. Therefore, investment ideas based on the principle of intrinsic deflation might turn out futile in the long run.

No, creating any number of AltCoins dont affect Bitcoin limited supply. Other altcoins live their own lives and if they build some infrastructure (merchant support), they may compete with Bitcoin. So far altcoins are useless
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:37:08 PM

No, creating any number of AltCoins dont affect Bitcoin limited supply. Other altcoins live their own lives and if they build some infrastructure (merchant support), they may compete with Bitcoin. So far altcoins are useless

Yeah, in todays market, there really isn't acceptance of other currencies, so they should really play on the supply or demand on BTC.  Once they become more prominant and accepted, then there might be some change.

raspcoin

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:32:51 AM

I think inflation is necessary for a currency to actually be used in everyday life (this is where gold has failed, why buy a pizza today if you can buy a car tomorrow?). Ultimately, this will decide whether Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies will be regarded as an investment or a replacement for traditional currencies.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: