Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:55:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal "chargeback" dangers if I become and exchanger?  (Read 2211 times)
Desolator (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:09:19 PM

I know the reason that no exchange wants to touch Paypal is because of "chargebacks."  Well that's the credit card term but same deal.  Here's the problem, and this is a real example:

Use Paypal to buy an in-game virtual item in SRO by Joymax of Yahoo Games Korea.  Claim the item was never delivered.  Paypal sides with you and Joymax has no way of proving they delivered the virtual item, the transaction is reversed and Joymax gets screwed.

Virtual items are generated for free but with electronic currency, you'd be super screwed if people did this.

I want to become a low volume exchanger for people where I can take Paypal payments and send them BTC so people so here's my question for you Paypal experts:

If someone uses a buy it now or add to cart button that's Paypal backed, there's an item description and shipping info tied to it so people can file a claim saying they never got the item it represents.  Requests for money sent from me are often treated as invoices so that could be a problem too.  So would it make me immune to this Paypal chargeback scam if I just simply have the person send me a generic member to member Paypal payment.  If, as far as Paypal is concerned, there was no item or purchase involved in the transaction and it was just one member sending another money, then there's no grounds for a chargeback to be filed.  Is that correct?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2011, 04:23:36 PM

Sounds great till you get a couple of unhappy customers (for real or imagined reasons) and they contact paypal with info that you are dealing in BTC, your acct gets locked and/or charegebacks occur. What do you do then?

I think there is a very real reason established exchanges dont use paypal.

I thought one of the ideas of BTC was to replace high fee companies like paypal and make life easier for all of us Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
PiGames

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 05:54:31 PM

Sounds great till you get a couple of unhappy customers (for real or imagined reasons) and they contact paypal with info that you are dealing in BTC, your acct gets locked and/or charegebacks occur. What do you do then?

I think there is a very real reason established exchanges dont use paypal.

I thought one of the ideas of BTC was to replace high fee companies like paypal and make life easier for all of us Smiley

And I personally can't wait for that to happen
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2011, 05:59:53 PM

You're violating their ToS by buying / selling BTC so they can shut you down in a heartbeat. Even if you're not scamming it's going to be really hard to defend yourself when you're doing something that's "against the rules"

That and they're very customer friendly on chargebacks anyways.

Paypal and Bitcoin are like oil and water. It could be a nice gateway if it were non reversible but it's not going to happen any time soon.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Ten98

Activity: 1008

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 01:25:08 AM

I think a lot of the "chargebacks" on BTC transactions are from Paypal themselves.

They see Bitcoin as a *significant* threat and will do anything they can to destabilise / discredit it.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 01:58:41 AM

I want to become a low volume exchanger for people where I can take Paypal payments and send them BTC so people...
That's called "smurfing" in the money laundering community.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: