Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:31:40 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Secure Mining with all AltCoin Wallets in a Virtual Envoirement with VirtualBox  (Read 891 times)
bitcoin-world.de (OP)

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

bitcoin-world.de - The european information source

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 01:27:32 PM

Hello people, I want to talk with you about Secure Mining and Hacking Protection. My Idea is to run only cgminer in the Host System Windows 7 and all the Wallet Clients in Servermode for Solomining in the Guest OS, because I dont want to compile all the binaries bymyself because it takes much time for doing this with every new update and new coins on the market.

So I have installed a guest system also Windows 7, Windows File Sharing and Ping to the Host System works fine, but one thing dont work and I dont find the error, maybe you have already done this before me and can help. I think this is very important for other people here,too.

Host OS IP Configuration:

IP: 192.168.178.10
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
DNS and Router: 192.168.178.1

Guest OS IP Configuration:
IP: 192.168.178.20
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
DNS and Router: 192.168.178.1

The newest VirtualBox 3.4 has some new Network Modi like NAT Network, Bridged Network and the old only NAT. What Modus do you use for that ?
I have changed it to a Bridged Network, so I can access the Host Computer and the Internet, but cgminer cant connect to the Grandcoin Wallet, which is already in Server Mode, but I cant find any errors in my configuration. Maybe someone has a perfect guide for doing this. All works fine except the cgminer cant connect to the Wallet in the guest OS.

We should create a guide for all people here to protect them and make crypto currencies more secure.
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:23:18 PM

I do not have any virtualbox-setup, however have you set the ip and user/pass in your grandcoin.conf?

Sample grandcoin.conf:
listen=1
daemon=1
server=1
rpcuser=**Yourusername**
rpcpassword=**Yourpassword**
rpcallowip=192.168.178.*
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=12378
maxconnections=50

also, check that you don't have any window firewall blocking your connections.
bitcoin-world.de (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 02:39:15 PM

yes I have set up the configuration file of course, too. Both Computer, the Guest and Host are in the same Home Group. I can access from the guest OS the shared files and Ping the Host System, but cgminer dont work.
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 03:00:03 PM

Can you use telnet and connect to your goldcoin-qt wallet port? Is the port visible at all to your other virtual hosts?

What I recall from using vmware a few years ago, was that my virtual machines had to have there own external ip for the services to work properly. I had several virtual machines on a ESXi host running webservices etc.

I am not sure whether all ip-traffic is allowed in bridged mode between the hosts, but rather specific ports and ranges that are allowed (windows services, ping, ntp etc), defined by the host, eg virtualbox in this case.
bitcoin-world.de (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 10:30:47 AM

ok I have tested it with another wallet, so only grandcoin doesnt work, the other wallet has no problems, so my configuration is 100% OK.

For all the other, its the best tipp  for mining different altcoins securely through a virtual machine.

You have only to change the network mode in virtualbox to a bridged network, but dont do it in windows, only in virtualbox and all works fine. Its like your virtual machine and your host machine are connected through a physical switch. In the virtual envoirement you can install all the shit, but transfer your mined coins to an exchange every day, so its very difficult for a hacker to steal all your data from your HOST OS, which is clear from any altcoin wallets.I will make these days a full guide how to do this best and how to share downloaded binarie wallets and other data from the HOST Operating System in Windows with read only access.

I warn all miners who dont look for security and download any altcoin wallet with the possibility to get malware.
elviselvis101

Activity: 573
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:44:34 PM

Looking forward to the guide  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: