Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:56:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So, is Armory back to a working program?  (Read 815 times)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 06:05:55 PM

I'm a previous user of .88 version which you needed huge amounts of resources to run and get the program even going. Does this new beta .90 solve that issue? I've been using Electrum with great sucess and ease, none of that 5 hour download blockchain crap. I really wish the Armory would start using online servers. Some people say, well if the Electrum server goes down you can't access your wallet. Sorry, but there are over 15+ Electrum servers so all of them going down at once is impossible. And with either one you need an Internet connection. I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me why I should go back to the Armory.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 06:12:20 PM

Electrum and Armory are different applications.  Besides the server issues, it's a major privacy issue to be sending your wallet addresses to a bunch of a different servers.  If you have $100k+ in Bitcoins, I wouldn't want to be advertising that in plaintext (along with my IP address) to some random nodes on the internet.

That's not to say it shouldn't be option:  we believe it should be.  It just hasn't been prioritized yet, because there are many people (especially with the 10x increase in price) who are willing to put in the extra effort to maximize security & privacy.   We will be starting work on a mode of Armory that has similar properties as Electrum.

On that note, 0.90 does fix the resource issues.  It uses only about 200 MB of RAM, and starts up very quickly.  But it does require 14 GB of disk space (to be reduced in a future version), and some users have reported problems with their particular blockchain files (we're investigating now).  It's not for everyone, but most people have been reporting success with it.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 11:11:55 PM

Electrum and Armory are different applications.  Besides the server issues, it's a major privacy issue to be sending your wallet addresses to a bunch of a different servers.  If you have $100k+ in Bitcoins, I wouldn't want to be advertising that in plaintext (along with my IP address) to some random nodes on the internet.

That's not to say it shouldn't be option:  we believe it should be.  It just hasn't been prioritized yet, because there are many people (especially with the 10x increase in price) who are willing to put in the extra effort to maximize security & privacy.   We will be starting work on a mode of Armory that has similar properties as Electrum.

On that note, 0.90 does fix the resource issues.  It uses only about 200 MB of RAM, and starts up very quickly.  But it does require 14 GB of disk space (to be reduced in a future version), and some users have reported problems with their particular blockchain files (we're investigating now).  It's not for everyone, but most people have been reporting success with it.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it another try, since it was my go to client when I first started to use a local wallet. I really do not trust an online wallet like Coinbase or anything. Even with the very small amount of coin I have, I really rather have it local. I guess 14GB is worth it for now, since space is cheap...unless you are running an expensive SSD system, then every GB counts.

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 11:15:52 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it another try, since it was my go to client when I first started to use a local wallet. I really do not trust an online wallet like Coinbase or anything. Even with the very small amount of coin I have, I really rather have it local. I guess 14GB is worth it for now, since space is cheap...unless you are running an expensive SSD system, then every GB counts.

As Holliday said, you there's some tradeoffs to be made.  Luckily, the latest version should run pretty smoothly once set up.  We have had reports of problems, but it seems most people are successful.

By the way, you can use --dbdir=X to move the 14 GB of database files elsewhere. 

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 11:23:06 PM

As Holliday said, you there's some tradeoffs to be made.  Luckily, the latest version should run pretty smoothly once set up.  We have had reports of problems, but it seems most people are successful.

By the way, you can use --dbdir=X to move the 14 GB of database files elsewhere. 

Does the DB itself need to be on a fast connection? I can most likely throw it on a share if I do need the space that bad. I'm running it in a VM so I think I just may have enough space as it is now.

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 11:59:09 PM

Does the DB itself need to be on a fast connection? I can most likely throw it on a share if I do need the space that bad. I'm running it in a VM so I think I just may have enough space as it is now.

Nope, the DB is just duplicating the blk*.dat files (but in a different format).  In the future it won't be pure duplication, but either way it will allow for remote Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind connections instead of using localhost. 

After the DB is built, there shouldn't be a lot of bandwith moving back and forth.

Automatic

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:04:17 AM

The 10* price increase is what made me change to Armory from a lite/online wallet.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 10:56:15 AM

The 10* price increase is what made me change to Armory from a lite/online wallet.

Me too

Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 10:56:56 PM

We will be starting work on a mode of Armory that has similar properties as Electrum.

If you do this and need folks to run servers, you could probably count me in on wanting to run at least one myself. I lean more towards the "Security" side of the popular Secure, Fast, Cheap: Pick Two paradigm.

You're right that Electrum has quite a bit of a privacy leak, but that's actually an incentive for some folks to run a server themselves as they can then potentially mask any of the transactions broadcast from it as not-necessarily being their own. Plus, if it's not too expensive to run the server, they can provide it for any friends and family who they know it will likewise be secure and fast for.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: