Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:26:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reason for Today's Crash: China Bans Bitcoin Payment Processors  (Read 10403 times)
TheJacob

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:22:45 PM

This is further clarified in the article:

People will still be able to withdraw their money from Chinese exchanges, they just won’t be able to deposit new funds. - You can only sell Bitcoins on exchange and withdraw Fiat, but not deposit Fiat to buy coins.

People will still be able to sell their bitcoins for local currency and then withdraw that currency

If true, I guess this is better than exchanges not being able to operate at all, but having to deposit in BTC prevents new people from coming in and obtaining bitcoins. Also, this doesn't bode well for what might happen in the future.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:25:28 PM

I remember only a week ago when all the bulls on here were patronizing everyone who sold their bitcoins based off the China news as sheeple who didn't understand what was happening and irrationally panic sold. Well, I guess those people had pretty good foresight afterall.  Smiley

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:27:48 PM

i don't quite get it. how is an exchange supposed to happen if funds cannot flow in + out?

i feel we are missing some important information here. the previous releases did not sound like they want to ban exchanges..
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:30:08 PM

i don't quite get it. how is an exchange supposed to happen if funds cannot flow in + out?

i feel we are missing some important information here. the previous releases did not sound like they want to ban exchanges..

They aren't banning exchanges. That's the PR beauty of it. It's like a knife in the voodooo doll that kills you anyway.

more or less retired.
terman45x

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:34:21 PM

If no more money cannot go in, owning Bitcoin for Chinese must be extremly valuable, the price will go much higher in China, Bitcoins can be used to move wealth out of China

WompRat

Activity: 232

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:34:28 PM

I would suggest having some perspective and stop contributing to volatility that puts traders off adopting Bitcoin, but I guess I would be pissing in the wind right? Obviously the actions in any one country matters to an International payment system and I'm an idiot.

It's the time of the year when most financial magazines and websites round up how well their stock picks have done and congratulating themselves on beating the trackers or maybe even getting over 20% growth on their portfolio over the year. Personally I am not ditching something that has outperformed everything else I hold by a huge margin and has the potential to do so again next year.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:36:39 PM

If no more money cannot go in, owning Bitcoin for Chinese must be extremly valuable, the price will go much higher in China, Bitcoins can be used to move wealth out of China

That's a pretty positive spin on it actually. But it essentially makes it useful for black market transactions again, which has value....but I thought we were past courting the black market.

more or less retired.
GigaCoin (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:38:20 PM

started with the banks, now the payment processors.

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:38:33 PM

Yep, I guess a huge black market will emerge. In either case, it would be an interesting and long awaited confrontation between government and bitcoin. And bitcoin will win this, what remains to be seen is how fast.

i am satoshi
emanymton

Activity: 219
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:40:32 PM

That's a pretty positive spin on it actually. But it essentially makes it useful for black market transactions again, which has value....but I thought we were past courting the black market.
We'll never fully get away from our roots, just like cash  Wink
MonadTran

Activity: 181

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:44:17 PM

So chinese are getting f in the a. I guess now they will see that unless they actually *own* their money they will be told what they can or can't do with it, like little children. Seems very bullish to me... After the panic dissipates in a week or two. Meanwhile, cheap coins.

Not sure if it's bullish for Bitcoin, but I feel it's kinda bearish for the Chinese economy. I was considering other ways to protect my savings, apart from Bitcoin, well... Today I made a decision that Chinese stocks are not going to be a part of my portfolio.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:46:22 PM

Yep, I guess a huge black market will emerge. In either case, it would be an interesting and long awaited confrontation between government and bitcoin. And bitcoin will win this, what remains to be seen is how fast.

But at what point is it all going to be too much trouble to deal with? Those who still own bitcoin in China can use them as a store of value, but given the level of regulation, it might be easier at this point to make a trip to Macau for poker chips or another alternative, like precious metals or something. It's really hanging by a thread.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
mvdheuvel1983

Activity: 1022
Merit: 368

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:49:23 PM

Yeah, that's what we are seeing now  Wink

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:53:41 PM

Yeah, that's what we are seeing now  Wink

what we are seeing now is called panic Smiley when herd panics (either direction), rational thinking is turned off.

i am satoshi
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:01:22 PM

Assuming it's true* that you can withdraw but not deposit to BTCChina, then why would a rational individual withdraw?  Whenever you have a one-way financial valve like this, it makes the less-restrictive money (money in BTCChina) worth more. 

I can understand selling in the panic to buy back later, but Yuan in BTCChina--if the rumour is true--is now better than Yuan in a bank account. 

*I can't see this actually being true

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
GigaCoin (OP)

Giga

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:06:45 PM

Assuming it's true* that you can withdraw but not deposit to BTCChina, then why would a rational individual withdraw?  Whenever you have a one-way financial valve like this, it makes the less-restrictive money (money in BTCChina) worth more. 

I can understand selling in the panic to buy back later, but Yuan in BTCChina--if the rumour is true--is now better than Yuan in a bank account. 

*I can't see this actually being true

it also means no new Yuan will be coming to Chinese exchanges, which is a huge blow for them.

raskolnikovx

Activity: 186

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:11:54 PM

I am sick and tired of this "nobody knows what chinese do" thingy.
Fuck them all
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:14:05 PM

I think your missing important information is China is essentially a communist capital state.  They never have had the freedoms most westerners are concerned about losing.  We complain about the fed.  Their economic power is tightly held by the government.

This is no surprise.

The surprise for the Chinese gvmt in the end will be the fact the you cannot stop bitcoin trade.

But for now?  Look out below.  BTC technicals have been bad for a while.  This news is gas on embers.
GigaCoin (OP)

Giga

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:16:12 PM

I think your missing important information is China is essentially a communist capital state.  They never have had the freedoms most westerners are concerned about losing.  We complain about the fed.  Their economic power is tightly held by the government.

This is no surprise.

The surprise for the Chinese gvmt in the end will be the fact the you cannot stop bitcoin trade.

But for now?  Look out below.  BTC technicals have been bad for a while.  This news is gas on embers.

Chinese who didn't catch the news early wake up in a few hours, maybe another sell off.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:21:16 PM

This is no surprise.

Chinese who didn't catch the news early wake up in a few hours, maybe another sell off.

Hmm.  Not maybe IMHO. ☺☺

But the real good news is this just helps what is a needed retraction in price to speed up.

The west has a chance to lead in financial freedom here.  But we need to see the us continue to back off from interfering with exchanges.

We need gentle regulation.  Asap.  And then see US exchanges gain steam.  I believe this is true for the EU as well.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: