Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:03:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I have 93 computers (i7 4gb RAM, no GPU) to start mining... Please help...  (Read 3138 times)
manobra (OP)

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:32:11 PM

Hi,

I work in a Call Center as the TI admin.

These machines stay turned on from 23h to 8am just with screen saver. So I´d like to let them mining during this time.

As the computers r not very good to fight against ASICs miners to get Bitcoins, I have some questions:

1) I think that should be better work with script coins. Am i right?

2) If so, what coin (in your opinion) I should start mining?

3) And what is the best software do mining the coin you suggested? (cpuminer, bfgminer, cgminer, etc...)

4) I am working in a linux to be the pool server (P2Pool). Do you suggest another? (Windows / Linux)

I´m not english speaker, so I have some dificulties to understand ALL the details about cryptocurrency, but I am studying and count on you to help!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

Caio
JAyThaRevo

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:34:10 PM

If there are no GPU's you should check out some CPU only coins. Quark or the newly announced Memory coin.
damnation

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=434996.0

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 06:34:25 PM

you will need to try your luck with CPU mining..

stuff like quark, memory, frozen and prime...

Google and find out what you can

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Noble:9ZQo8HaeCjporC7T4PFgVcqzXc5KLyGrnV
LOT: LzUoeyakB8DRoHgqMgHSWMzipW5Nr63zkg
BTC: 1EiY4FqGbbfL6VUhiVLe8Z5R7BVVyyLTmw
LTC: LaGJ2utSYG4bhQ882mJ8QkS1bq45p25vcD
miningair

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:46:41 PM

I got to ask, wouldn't this be illegal? using company resources for personal use?

Then again, idk what your companies policies are. You could just be fine?
mindfulmojo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:49:25 PM

He is the admin, I'm sure it's all right...  Wink

I would recommend this site, it's a lot easier than mining for cryptos.

http://cloud.mql5.com/

Pays with paypal or webmoney. It's been paying me for years....

I've got payment proof on my site, see signature.
huadylmate

Activity: 215

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:50:45 PM

I got to ask, wouldn't this be illegal? using company resources for personal use?

It is stealing of electricity and installing unwanted programs, so definitively good reason to get fired
mindfulmojo

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:52:14 PM

Let's just assume it's ok... the thread isn't about him asking if he could get fired for this.
masyveonk

Activity: 346

https://bmy.guide

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:02:14 PM

3) And what is the best software do mining the coin you suggested? (cpuminer, bfgminer, cgminer, etc...)

Did you know these programs are flagged as malware with antivirus software?

KingGoon

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 07:03:31 PM

I think hes lying and wants to mine with a botnet  Grin Grin Cheesy  Cool

So Icy E-Money - Frozentalk.org FD1GwdBjTeMPFdZD5v3cVRG7ZoPJBAuLrf
All these girls excited ,Oooo ya know they like it ,Frozen so icy, so icy ,Haters don't try to fight it ,All yo friends invited ,Frozen so icy, so icy!!
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:22:36 PM

Did you know these programs are flagged as malware with antivirus software?

Make sure that you have access to the Antivirus Console server. Then add the folder you put the miners into to the exception list. Also, in group policies add the firewall rules for your miners.

manobra (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 12:45:44 AM

If there are no GPU's you should check out some CPU only coins. Quark or the newly announced Memory coin.

Hi! tks for answering!!

The GPUs are poor.. .like Intel HD 3000 on board.

I´m watching Quark ... Will check Memory Coin!

Tks!!
eon89

Activity: 308
Merit: 292

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 12:55:17 AM

If you are new to this all together I suggest you sell your coins on BTER if possible. Crypsty just has too many problems.

Referral link: https://bter.com/ref/29371

Referrals get 10% off their fees for 6 months on BTER.

Also once you trade into bitcoin gyft is great if you are cool with having giftcards for your coins.

Memory coin has been having some mining issues, but quark should be mineable for you without difficulty.

manobra (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 12:56:32 AM

It is stealing of electricity and installing unwanted programs, so definitively good reason to get fired

Hi! I´m having some dificulties to answer...lol

The site ins´t alowing me to post too fast...

Well.. we are in Brazil ... my father is the owner.

He and me wants to bet in a new business... Cryptocurrencies appear to be a nice issue....

We are still learning...

Thanks for your worries about the legallity.

We will watch for the electricity bill in order to track if worth or not.

Tks!

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:00:52 AM

this will not end well

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
PrintMule

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:03:25 AM

I think if he'd have a botnet, that would give out impression that he is well versed in this 'scene' and would not ask such simple questions.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
manobra (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:20:44 AM

I think if he'd have a botnet, that would give out impression that he is well versed in this 'scene' and would not ask such simple questions.

There´s no problem with virus or bots here. I can install everything I want.. since it doesn´t disturb the attendants while working.

This is why I have to get all doubts solved. There are almost 100 computers to be configured!!...lol

I must have a "pack" of programs: miner + scheduler + all information ready.

With this in hands, I can install in each computer.

Can you imagine if I have to change some configuration after everything ready? OMG!!...lol

Thanks for your help!!!

Jothand

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:08:05 AM

Hi,

These machines stay turned on from 23h to 8am just with screen saver. So I´d like to let them mining during this time.

As the computers r not very good to fight against ASICs miners to get Bitcoins, I have some questions:

4) I am working in a linux to be the pool server (P2Pool). Do you suggest another? (Windows / Linux)

I´m not english speaker, so I have some dificulties to understand ALL the details about cryptocurrency, but I am studying and count on you to help!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

Caio

Hi Manobra,

Since the 93 computers do not have good graphics cards you will need to mine with the CPU. Use cpuminer for that. Also, you should set up one of the computers as a stratum mining proxy. Find a scrypt altcoin pool to join and set up a unique username and password for each miner, this will take a while since you have so many computers. Then point your proxy at the pool and point your miners at your stratum proxy. Even if the version of cpuminer you use supports stratum I think it's still a good idea to run your own stratum proxy. This allows you the flexibility of changing pools quickly. Instead of changing each individual miner, you can just point your proxy to the new pool.

You may also want to check with the pool admin first and make sure they allow that many workers. Some pools may suspect you of running a botnet. I use wemineltc.com and I believe they allow up to 100 but will allow more if you put in a request. 

I think you should stay away from mining any sha256 coins and stick with scrypt but that's just my opinion. I suggest trying a few different coins and stick with what you like.
manobra (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:53:31 PM

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

Caio

Hi Manobra,

Since the 93 computers do not have good graphics cards you will need to mine with the CPU. Use cpuminer for that. Also, you should set up one of the computers as a stratum mining proxy. Find a scrypt altcoin pool to join and set up a unique username and password for each miner, this will take a while since you have so many computers. Then point your proxy at the pool and point your miners at your stratum proxy. Even if the version of cpuminer you use supports stratum I think it's still a good idea to run your own stratum proxy. This allows you the flexibility of changing pools quickly. Instead of changing each individual miner, you can just point your proxy to the new pool.

You may also want to check with the pool admin first and make sure they allow that many workers. Some pools may suspect you of running a botnet. I use wemineltc.com and I believe they allow up to 100 but will allow more if you put in a request. 

I think you should stay away from mining any sha256 coins and stick with scrypt but that's just my opinion. I suggest trying a few different coins and stick with what you like.

Noted! Thank you very much! This is the "way" I was looking for....

.... Scrypt + cpuminer + (join a pool) or (make my own pool) + (try these coins: Quark, Memory, etc...)

Regarding joining a pool and have to contact them in order to let my 100 worlers, what about my own pool?

I think I misunderstood the issue: "pool server"...

I´ve downloaded P2Pool (and many others), tried to configure ... I made cgminer to connect to it, but no hashrate (0.0Kh/s).

Now you said: "make my own proxy server" and after "will be easy to change from pool" that lead me to think that I can´t have my "own private pool", I can only have a "proxy" to centralize the miners and point it to a pool.

Could you please just try to clarify me this point?

Thanks again!!

I´m almost there!! (I think!!)
maardein

Activity: 420

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:29:52 PM

I don't think starting your own pool would be a good way to do this.

Have you made any calculations? It depends a little on which i7 you have, but since I don't expect your employer to buy computers with high end CPU's (actually the fact you have i7's is already quite rare, you see i5's or even i3's way more often), lets say you can get ~35kh/s per CPU. That would set your total hashrate at ~3255kh/s, which is quite a nice hashrate, comparable to around 3x 7990 GPU. But, most pools are in the order of several hundred mh/s, and you only get 3.3mh/s.

Since the chance of finding a block is highly correlated with the total hashrate of a pool, I think it would be much better to join an existing pool.

Having that said, the suggestion of Jothand is actually a great way to do this. Set up your own pc as a stratum proxy, and have all the other pc's point at your proxy. If you want to switch pool/coin, you will only have to change the setting on your own computer, and all others will automatically work for that pool.

Apart from mining CPU coins like quark, you could definitely also look at some scrypt coins. Since you don't have to pay power, you could even mine LTC, which would still give you around 1LTC per day at the current difficulty. It may also be worth keeping an eye on this subforum, and mine some of the newly launched coins. At the start of a coin you can easily get huge amounts in a short time frame, which could become a lot more valuable in the future (but this is a gamble of course).

BTC: 1788UegKXGXXicfPcbZ1bmSUJ99ZWRCF7p
LTC: LZ2rCcoxK4X8wRRynqdxoimd4d3TDNk7Lk
PMP: PApSSdorQds5tQysymwDXPAN3viJLFTUs8
manobra (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:56:03 PM

I don't think starting your own pool would be a good way to do this.

Have you made any calculations? It depends a little on which i7 you have, but since I don't expect your employer to buy computers with high end CPU's (actually the fact you have i7's is already quite rare, you see i5's or even i3's way more often), lets say you can get ~35kh/s per CPU. That would set your total hashrate at ~3255kh/s, which is quite a nice hashrate, comparable to around 3x 7990 GPU. But, most pools are in the order of several hundred mh/s, and you only get 3.3mh/s.

Since the chance of finding a block is highly correlated with the total hashrate of a pool, I think it would be much better to join an existing pool.

Having that said, the suggestion of Jothand is actually a great way to do this. Set up your own pc as a stratum proxy, and have all the other pc's point at your proxy. If you want to switch pool/coin, you will only have to change the setting on your own computer, and all others will automatically work for that pool.

Apart from mining CPU coins like quark, you could definitely also look at some scrypt coins. Since you don't have to pay power, you could even mine LTC, which would still give you around 1LTC per day at the current difficulty. It may also be worth keeping an eye on this subforum, and mine some of the newly launched coins. At the start of a coin you can easily get huge amounts in a short time frame, which could become a lot more valuable in the future (but this is a gamble of course).

Hmmm... Tks too much!

The i7s (actually only 80 are i7) have 8 cores each (made on 2012). The other 13 computers are mixed (2 quad core, 2 core 2 duo, etc...)....

Yes.. we´re a little afraid because of the electricity bill. But we still want to "see for believe" and maybe make some adjusts to make it be profitable.

No, we dont planing to buy more computers. I convinced my father (owner here), that we could use these computer out working time.

I as far as I could see, LTC have already reached a dificulty level that my computers cant compete with.

Maybe after all working, I can measure my scrypt rate power and point to another coin.... I still didn´t got to connect to my server (P2Pool). ahahahahah!!  it says "connected to 192.168.1.254" but 0.0Kh/s.

But the most important information now, is that I have to confifgure my stratum server and configure all computers to connect to it. So I configure this stratum server to use some pool.

OMG! I almost understanding 100% ... what a weight out of my back!..lol

Tonight I will dive in this issue again and maybe sleep here until make it work!!

Thanks again!!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: