Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 02:17:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum Offline Wallet not signing transaction  (Read 3258 times)
jchi18 (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 09:38:27 PM

I am using electrum as an offline wallet.  I created an unsigned transaction to bring to my offline laptop.  I loaded the transaction to Electrum and pressed sign.  I entered my password.  And usually at this point, I think, the transaction is signed and ready for broadcast.  Instead, it is still unsigned and I do not have an option to broadcast after I loaded the transaction to my online computer.

Any ideas what could be the problem?
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 05:38:43 AM

Did you save the signed transaction or not? Once you sign it you have to save the signed transaction to removable media for broadcasting on an online system.
jchi18 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 12:20:27 PM

Yes, I save the transaction to the removable media or at least I try to.  But I don't think it gets signed because usually the suggested name to be saved is "signed..." but the suggested name is still "unsigned..."  I hope that made sense.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 12:31:58 PM

Yes, I save the transaction to the removable media or at least I try to.  But I don't think it gets signed because usually the suggested name to be saved is "signed..." but the suggested name is still "unsigned..."  I hope that made sense.

When you load the unsigned transactions you see various input addresses. Are those input addresses present in your offline wallet? If they are not you should generate them:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=344115.msg3690179#msg3690179
jchi18 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 12:42:59 PM

When you load the unsigned transactions you see various input addresses. Are those input addresses present in your offline wallet? If they are not you should generate them:

You are awesome.  Thanks.
rustbucket

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 09:42:53 PM

Hi all,

despite the help in this excellent post I still canT sign my offline transactions and would like some help to get my coins out of strage!

As described in the advice above, I needed to generate more addresses in the offline wallet so i entered the appropriate command (for both main and return addresses) into the console and generated the addresses no probs, but when I import the unsigned transaction from my online watching-only wallet into the offline wallet and ask it to sign the transaction it does nothing, asks for my password but returns me to the same panel showing me the inputs and outputs - all of which now exist in both wallets - but still designating it 'unsigned' and not asking where I would like to store it.

What could I be doing wrong?? Of course, any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Though it looks like i'm going to miss this particular run....:-( Adrian
rustbucket

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 07:43:42 AM

Perhaps I should mention that i'm using Electrum 1.9.8 on a Lubuntu installation?

Can anyone help? Abussamad....are you out there somewhere??

I would greatly appreciate some help in this matter!! There are precious few resources out there on this otherwise and the Reddit thread appears to be very unloved....
rustbucket

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 09:48:19 AM

ok! it's all good!

appears to have resolved itself on its own.

after several more attempts using, strangely enough, the exact same addresses it just worked all of a sudden.

no idea why. suddenly the offline wallet offered me the option of broadcasting or saving the transaction, as it should have initially.

I restarted the computer twice, god knows, maybe a second time helped.

anyway, thanks to anyone who scratched their head about it!

adrian
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 11:07:30 AM

This issue was fixed a while back... you don't need to generate addresses.

ok! it's all good!

appears to have resolved itself on its own.

after several more attempts using, strangely enough, the exact same addresses it just worked all of a sudden.

no idea why. suddenly the offline wallet offered me the option of broadcasting or saving the transaction, as it should have initially.

I restarted the computer twice, god knows, maybe a second time helped.

anyway, thanks to anyone who scratched their head about it!

adrian

1.9.8 when in offline mode does not tell you when you input an incorrect password, and just sits there.

You probably were typing your password incorrectly, then today you suddenly typed it correctly.

(maybe you had CAPS lock on or some other reason why your password was incorrect)

The way you can tell if a transaction is properly signed is the box on the very top of the transaction window.

If it says "unknown" that means you are unsigned. Once it is signed, it will show your transaction ID in that box "676aced6720..." etc.

So unless you see the transaction id, that means you got your password wrong.

If you're on Linux, I suggest running Electrum from Terminal. Open up Terminal, type in "electrum" and hit enter. It will launch Electrum, and the Terminal will display hidden error messages. (The incorrect password notice will appear in the Terminal)

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: