Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 05:50:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a hardware purse for crypto currency?  (Read 175 times)
Katekuz (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 12:49:32 PM
Merited by alexeyLis (8)

What is a hardware purse for crypto currency?
A hardware purse for crypto currency is an electronic device designed for the needs of crypto currency holders. These needs are mainly in the mentioned security and convenience: "so that no one is stolen" and "so that you can easily pay off" - something that interests most users.

In appearance, hardware wallets are a cross between a flash drive and a small smartphone - with a bias in one direction or another. To make transactions connect to the computer via USB, but sometimes they can independently go online via Ethernet, Wi-Fi and so on.

From a security standpoint, they are comparable to a separate laptop, which only has a purse program and security software installed - from a firewall and antivirus to encrypted "traces" of programs.

Software (a purse program and applications that provide access to the wallet and its protection) can be installed by the manufacturer, but more often the developer offers to download it from his site and install it himself.

In recent versions, the shortcomings of the past are corrected, potential vulnerabilities are eliminated, new crypto currency support is added, and so on. The software generates keys and some access codes, so it's worth to be attentive to it - at least not to download from anywhere.

Keys and access codes, as a rule, are several:

PIN-code for access to the device itself (as on the phone);
private key for access to the purse, generated by the above program on a random basis;
seed-phrase - 24 secret words to restore access if the key is lost.

Sometimes additional keys are added, for example, the "factory" key supplied with the device. It is important that there are several levels of protection, and experts can check how random the generated keys are.

A weighty argument in favor of this or that device is the number of supported crypto-currencies. Developers try to take this into account and add coins that are in demand. And unpopular currencies are unlikely to be stored in a hardware purse: they simply will not be supported.

How to avoid scammers?
[/b][/size]
On the one hand, which is much easier: any search engine will issue a request for a set of sites where the device can be ordered. On the other hand, there are scammers who often resolve the issue of stealing money before the purse falls into the hands of the future victim.

Some, for example, issue wallets-counterfeits. A well-known company or, say, its "branch" may be indicated on the site. The site can be designed allegedly for a "new model" of a well-known company, which in reality did not produce anything like that.

In fact, these will be unnamed purses without any protection and with software that will transfer the private key and / or seed-phrase to the fraudster as soon as the victim places a certain amount on the wallet.

Others do not hide behind well-known brands, but produce something of their own under a new name. Such hardware wallets are usually cheaper than others. Work on the same scheme.

Ledger
In the official market today are several varieties of wallets. The most popular devices are companies Trezor, Ledger and Keep Key. Of the less popular - Digital Box, Bitlox, Pi Wallet and others.

Leading Ledger - due to the variety of models and a large number of supported currencies.
Among the supported currencies other than the leading currencies are Stratis, Komodo, Dogecoin, NEO, Dash Qtum, Ubiq, Posw, Sealthcoin, Viacoin, Vertcoin, Expense, PIVX, ARK.

Models are developed for the requests of different users. Thus, the wallet Ledger Wallet has increased protection, which combines:

Cryptographic system developed for bank cards (EAL5 +);
Algorithm for confirming all actions;
Presence of a "factory" key;
The presence of the operating system Ledger, designed to store crypto and, of course, protected much better than standard Windows, Mac and Linux.

DemLom

Activity: 196
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 06:42:09 PM

I'm trying to switch to these wallets, they are really like me the most reliable now and plus it's easy to figure out how to use the user. Thank you for the gender
BQ

Activity: 616
Merit: 53

CoinMetro - the future of exchanges

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 06:48:39 PM

It's a useful guide, although I personally think it's a bit hard to read when the sentences cover the full page, maybe make them a bit more compact?  Grin
I'd like to add my thread for people who are interested in wallet security: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3576100

5 EUR free crypto on signup! XCM exchange token ⚜⚜⚜  CoinMetro - Copy Trading - Margin - 0% maker fee  ⚜⚜⚜ - generate €500 volume in July for a chance to win €100!
bobo012

Activity: 714
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 06:57:37 PM

I have both ledger and trezor, and among those two i would always rather choose trezor. Would like to try the new trezor and see what its like, but it can only be better than the old one
BQ

Activity: 616
Merit: 53

CoinMetro - the future of exchanges

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 07:01:08 PM

I have both ledger and trezor, and among those two i would always rather choose trezor. Would like to try the new trezor and see what its like, but it can only be better than the old one

Interesting, why do you prefer Trezor? I myself only have a Trezor, but I often see people ask what hardware wallet to buy,
and I think it mostly comes down to preference of design etc, both has had their exploits. Trezor is open-source, which some might think is better, some might not.

5 EUR free crypto on signup! XCM exchange token ⚜⚜⚜  CoinMetro - Copy Trading - Margin - 0% maker fee  ⚜⚜⚜ - generate €500 volume in July for a chance to win €100!
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 07:16:01 PM

I'm trying to switch to these wallets, they are really like me the most reliable now and plus it's easy to figure out how to use the user. Thank you for the gender

You are not obligated to switch to them. They offer a bit better security and ease of use if you don't understand the key points on how to keep your coins safe. Or if you simply don't feel like always overthinking or something, but hardware wallets are not something that is a must. It could be good to have, but it doesn't make them the most reliable out there.
michael23

Activity: 560
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 07:27:11 PM

Hardware wallet is really a very useful thing. It can save your coins from scams and hackers, but the only problem is that they don't support all the altcoins, just a few basic ones.
Katekuz (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2018, 09:20:15 PM

Hardware wallet is really a very useful thing. It can save your coins from scams and hackers, but the only problem is that they don't support all the altcoins, just a few basic ones.

Recently, I have noticed that the course of bigger coins depends on the course of the top, so it is better to keep the top coins with you

Brangos99

Activity: 186

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 06:07:29 AM

Yes, the hardware wallet is perfect for crypto money like bitcoin, with a hardware form that works like a bitcoin wallet in general. This hardware, made by a particular company, and until now there are many types of devices already available in the market, such as Trezor hardware wallet, Ledger USB purse, and KeepKey.
kcgk

Activity: 103

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 12:30:07 PM

The hardware wallet is more emphasis on the storage function and is suitable for users who use large amounts of money for a long period of time. However, due to the relatively complicated operations, novice users should avoid using them as much as possible to avoid operational errors. Currently, the well-known manufacturers and developers of hardware wallets include Trezor, Ledger, KeepKey, and Kushen, which are mostly expensive. So under normal circumstances, when your cryptocurrency assets are less, there is no need to use a hardware wallet.
jamesbtcearn

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 04:56:19 PM

Ledger is one of the most used wallets available in the market. I also use ledger. Besides, it provides security and protection, which is the basic need of a investor while investing.
kevinfox18

Activity: 280

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 11:46:06 PM

i was willing to learn about hardware purse from long ago, so this post is helpful for me. and the part dedicated to How to avoid scammers is helpful who get in to bad influence and fad very easilyShocked Sad
Katekuz (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 03:22:22 PM

The hardware wallet is more emphasis on the storage function and is suitable for users who use large amounts of money for a long period of time. However, due to the relatively complicated operations, novice users should avoid using them as much as possible to avoid operational errors. Currently, the well-known manufacturers and developers of hardware wallets include Trezor, Ledger, KeepKey, and Kushen, which are mostly expensive. So under normal circumstances, when your cryptocurrency assets are less, there is no need to use a hardware wallet.
This is true, but almost all people who work here over time will have not a bad capital, which needs to be safely stored.

$Darkloard$

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 07:58:36 PM

In order to insure your crypto-savings, the hardware wallet is the ideal solution. This is a type of cold deposit of crypto currency. It is a physical device that allows you to safely store altcoyins. The peculiarity of this purse is that you can spend its content only when you connect your wallet to your computer. This provides a very high level of security.
Crytptomeniac

Activity: 240

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 08:50:21 PM

A hardware wallet is simply a wallet in which you can store your cryptos but it is not online and it is not connected to the internet so you do now have to worry about hackers getting into your wallet like you would with an online wallet. Your coins are safer in a hardware wallet than online especially if you have coins that you are holding for the long term.
alexeyLis

Activity: 416
Merit: 29

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 10:26:05 PM

Damn, and what's the use of this system? The man wrote a cool article, which he spent obviously more than a day of his time, but to sense? Everyone just makes themselves a multiaques or sells, you should be ashamed. I'll send a couple of merits, an article is worthy of it

A p e S w a p    ///    $BANANA Farms    |    $BANANA Pools    |    ApeSwap Exchange    ///
                                                     Stake now for over 900% APR!                                                     
⦁    TWITTER    ⦁    TELEGRAM GROUP    ⦁    MEDIUM    ⦁    TELEGRAM CHANNEL    ⦁    GITHUB    ⦁
NastiaDao

Activity: 37

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 10:39:22 PM

I do not plan to register this wallet so far, since I do not have such huge profits now, but in the future it will be necessary, because now it's difficult to find something more reliable and accessible, and thanks for the information
BlasterS

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 05:23:56 PM

coinbase and coin.ph is the hardware pursue for cryptocurrency
because there are one of the safest and trustworthy company that can you trust in this business and also  less worries about the possible negative might happen if ever in this kind of business.
Lannie25

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 09:49:02 AM

coinbase and coin.ph is the hardware pursue for cryptocurrency
because there are one of the safest and trustworthy company that can you trust in this business and also  less worries about the possible negative might happen if ever in this kind of business.
Arcoin1

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 11:25:44 AM

A hardware bag for Cryptocurrency will be secure. This bag can be used to keep our investments. There is a risk of stealing. You should pay attention to that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: