Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:02:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Address balance and wallet balance  (Read 1649 times)
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 03:08:06 PM

You should probably qualify this with "manually managing keys is an easy way to make money-losing mistakes". If you want to move money into a wallet, just send a transaction.
Right on. Enough sob stories.

Don't be a cheapskate and use a transaction to send coins between wallets.

And in any case, whatever you do, don't mix a wallet managing client such as bitcoin-qt with manually fingering around with keys.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 02:05:36 AM

You aren't allowed to "delete" an address/private key in any sane wallet software, so the original question is already without basis.

This is like asking, "if I put snow tires on my car, and then take off one of the wheels, will I still be able to drive in the snow?" It's just a strange question.

Yes you can, in Electrum, Armory, Blockchain.info...

I said sane. It is nutty to allow users to shoot themselves in the foot by providing an interface to act on mistaken assumptions like these:

OP: Then I delete the address. Will money still be in the wallet? And I will be able to send money from 1st address? Without a trace?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: