Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:36:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: lol @ "buying and holding is the best strategy"  (Read 4121 times)
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:01:14 PM

dudes, I is survivor from tech stock bubble of late 90's. I was reading sites like Motley Fool who were saying that Buy and Hold was the only strategy to go. What a fucking disaster! Now I know that buy and hold is a very weak strategy, mainly being that there is no clearly defined exit plan and no idea of time horizons either. do not listen to buy and hold spouters, they talking out their anus.

Bitcoin is not a stock. Also buy and hold doesn't mean you don't have any plan of taking profits at all. If I had listened to trolls like you back in April I would never be in the position I am now. If you think Bitcoin is a promising technology then it doesn't really matter when you buy. So many people in bitcoin are constantly flip flopping between being a day trader one day and a long term investor the next, without realizing that their horizons and strategies are completely different. You can do a little bit of both ofcourse, but at least seperate the two with a clearly defined plan or you'll make a mess of things.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
young3dvard

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:03:46 PM

lol @ "buying and holding is the best strategy"
Some people are gonna get fucked so badly in the coming days/weeks.

LMAO!

ya YOU will!

Yep he envisions his destiny Smiley All the stoopid impatient children who will get out now, I pity them. And then the next wave of them will come, at high four digits, as they always do. They will say "man, I wish I was here when coins were three digits"  but then they will sell all on the first dip Smiley Bitcoin can't make everyone rich though, and that's fine with me that cowards don't profit.

I thought about it and the crashes helping distribute the coins more evenly. There will be many crashes when Bitcoin rises to 5 digit values in the next years this Im sure
SuperHakka

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:24:08 PM

dudes, I is survivor from tech stock bubble of late 90's. I was reading sites like Motley Fool who were saying that Buy and Hold was the only strategy to go. What a fucking disaster! Now I know that buy and hold is a very weak strategy, mainly being that there is no clearly defined exit plan and no idea of time horizons either. do not listen to buy and hold spouters, they talking out their anus.

Bitcoin is not a stock. Also buy and hold doesn't mean you don't have any plan of taking profits at all. If I had listened to trolls like you back in April I would never be in the position I am now. If you think Bitcoin is a promising technology then it doesn't really matter when you buy. So many people in bitcoin are constantly flip flopping between being a day trader one day and a long term investor the next, without realizing that their horizons and strategies are completely different. You can do a little bit of both ofcourse, but at least seperate the two with a clearly defined plan or you'll make a mess of things.
dude, bitcoin may be a stock but its price is driven by the same factors as that drives all others like stocks, namely DEMAND and SUPPLY. there is only one thing that separates a winner from a loser in the game of making money, that is RISK CONTROL which encompasses CAPITAL CONTROL haar haar

btw dude, don't call anybody who disagrees with you a troll.you end up with head in sand that way. a troll is somebody who posts to cause offence and argument because he enjoys people getting riled up. i just say things as i see them. I have said before I am a bear until price drops to $100 then I am a bull again. what is trollish about that?

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:52:14 PM

dude, bitcoin may be a stock but its price is driven by the same factors as that drives all others like stocks, namely DEMAND and SUPPLY. there is only one thing that separates a winner from a loser in the game of making money, that is RISK CONTROL which encompasses CAPITAL CONTROL haar haar

btw dude, don't call anybody who disagrees with you a troll.you end up with head in sand that way. a troll is somebody who posts to cause offence and argument because he enjoys people getting riled up. i just say things as i see them. I have said before I am a bear until price drops to $100 then I am a bull again. what is trollish about that?

I called you a troll because you were claiming that those who advocate a buy and hold strategy are talking out of their ass. Maybe you don't really understand what buy and hold and long term investing means, but it surely is not buy and hold until forever without a plan. I am a 'buy and holder' myself and have already taken out my initial investment, so the only risk I'm taking right now is losing my profits. As a long term investor I'm not interested in short term fluctuations in price like we see now, why should I want to give my money and bitcoins away to the pro traders and manipulators out there? It's just not worth the time and stress, most people will lose money to the better traders out there so that's why I think a buy and hold strategy is simply better for most.

Good luck btw waiting for $100, I will quote this post again next year to see how that worked out for you. Wink

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:19:45 PM

Bitcoin is not a specific stock; it may be compared to the overall bubble of tech stocks in the 90s, sure, but we are way past that - that was bitcoin bubble of 2011, when people overinvested before the technology was ready. Now, bitcoin is more like tech/internet stocks in 2004. Starting to become useful, and price growing due to all the potential. So yeah, for google in 2004 buy and hold may be a very nice damn strategy, if you have the balls to ignore minor dips along the way. The tech is solid, the future is bright.

i am satoshi
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:34:01 PM

Nothing wrong with buying and hold if you believe in bitcoin as a long-term investment.

The facts back it up. It was $10 to $20 a year ago.

Of course with the volatility you can make more with trading, but you can also lose a lot more. Most people are not good traders, however much they think they are.

But everyone needs an exit strategy, even long-term investors.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:35:26 PM

Its paid off for me. I mean I've dabbled in day trading a small bit, but for the most part I've been holding and doing VERY well if you ask me!

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 05:29:18 PM

Well if I'd taken the plunge when I thought things were about to change radically then I'd probably have leveled out at the number of coins I have now. I would've won big and lost big.

There's the tale of the Hollywood exec who maintained that if he'd greenlighted all the films he'd rejected and vice versa he would've ended up pretty much in the exact same position.

If you're sharp enough to ride the waves then you have my admiration. I'll sit back and play the long game.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 05:31:41 PM

Buy & Hold works really well in a bull market. But not so well in a bear market.

Shorting works particularly well in a bear market Smiley
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 05:39:09 PM

I've sold a few BTC in the last 5 days, all locally, and I was lucky enough to talk with these guys for much more than 6 confirms.

I can say with a certainty that those 2 BTC or so are in strong hands. I don't care that I sold @ 900, 870, and 700, plus a few in the middle, It's all pure profit for me since I use the buy and hold strategy, only in those coins for $70ea. Buy and hold fails, you say?

LTC replenishes my BTC stash, and it does so exceptionally well still.

Fools rush in and make us money, fools rush out and lay the table for the rush to make us more money. Round and around we go, over and over.  

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
ajax3592

Activity: 210

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:27:14 PM

The only people that get burnt are those that buy high and sell low. They lose faith when it is on a down swing.

This has happened time and time again as it grows. It's not 1 or 2 times, it's literally thousands.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 02:39:47 AM

The only people that get burnt are those that buy high and sell low. They lose faith when it is on a down swing.

This has happened time and time again as it grows. It's not 1 or 2 times, it's literally thousands.

You are right. But unfortunately noobs tend to do exactly that, buy high (i.e. join the crowd when the value is racing up), and sell low (i.e. panic sell). Trading is not as easy at it looks.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: