Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 09:25:06 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: lol @ "buying and holding is the best strategy"  (Read 4123 times)
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:23:55 AM

Some people are gonna get fucked so badly in the coming days/weeks.

lol @ daytraders stuck behind a computer all day panicing over the same thing that happens every week for 1 LTC gains. buying & holding doesnt get you fuct, only buying and selling at a loss does.
pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:41:43 AM

lol @ daytraders stuck behind a computer all day panicing over the same thing that happens every week for 1 LTC gains. buying & holding doesnt get you fuct, only buying and selling at a loss does.

Actually day traders live for days like this one and they are the only ones that don't panic. Don't judge buy the fud they spread to forums etc to leverage their positions...

bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:45:36 AM

Actually day traders live for days like this one and they are the only ones that don't panic. Don't judge buy the fud they spread to forums etc to leverage their positions...

i could imagine the ones with leverage (large bankrolls) do pretty well.  gotta have money to make money.
OleOle

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:55:12 AM

I couldn't agree more, it's great to see the price drop. It's a pity it's only really an intraday swing rather than a more sustained depreciation. I'm still waiting for people to moan, howl and complain. You know it's definitely time to buy when people start running around the forum shouting, "The end of the world is nigh."

Doesn't look like that day is today though, have to be content with the sweet volatility, there's nothing quite like BTC for indeterminable price action Cheesy

Salivan

Activity: 195
Merit: 102

DiMS dev team

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:08:32 AM

lol @ "buying and holding is the best strategy"

LMAO!

ya YOU will!

Yep he envisions his destiny Smiley All the stoopid impatient children who will get out now, I pity them. And then the next wave of them will come, at high four digits, as they always do. They will say "man, I wish I was here when coins were three digits"  but then they will sell all on the first dip Smiley Bitcoin can't make everyone rich though, and that's fine with me that cowards don't profit.

I remember this after april when I tried to convince few people to jump in just after crash. They looked at me like I was the most naive and dumb person in the world.
I believe they regretted later, but at least at this point  they have a bit of  fun. We will see for  how long..
EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 09:26:13 AM

A true long time holder buys a Lambo when he's sad.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
WompRat

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:16:18 AM

I am not going to argue that for every investment at every point in time that buy and hold is correct and if you believe Bitcoin will eventually cease to exist or it has grown as much as it can then it is a bad strategy for you, but many studies using real data have shown that it is often a highly effective strategy.  

Here's one:

http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/odean/papers/returns/Individual_Investor_Performance_Final.pdf

From the conclusion:

'Active investment strategies will under perform passive investment strategies. Overconfident investors will overestimate the value of their private information, causing them to trade too actively and, consequently, to earn below-average returns. Consistent with these behavioural models of investor overconfidence, we provide empirical evidence that households, which hold about half of U.S. equities,trade too much, on average. Those who trade the most are hurt the most.'

It should be noted that Bitcoin trading has much lower fees and lower barriers to trade than the traditional stock market.  This should lessen the pain of overactive trading, but as a quid pro quo it probably also contributes significantly to the price volatility which makes making the optimal decision at any one time exceedingly difficult.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:53:49 AM

The only ones who are going to get fucked badly are those who panic sell at a big loss right now. Most people will get screwed by the expert traders if they try to trade, buying and holding is always the best strategy for them. Nothing wrong with taking profits though, if everybody would take their initial investment and some profits out as the price goes up we would never see this kind of panic. Oh well periods like this are good for the distribution of coins. Smiley

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
bitleif

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:05:46 AM

lol @ "buying and holding is the best strategy"

It's still a good strategy. Whether it's the "best" strategy just depends on exactly when you buy.
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:08:15 AM

Good for you if you made a profit playing the market. But most people who do that lose. Holding over 6 months or more is as safe a strategy as they come, and gives better ROI than anything else currently available.

Holding 6 months from 32 in June 2011 gave you a ROI of -94%.

Holding 6 months and then sell does not count as Buy and Hold. Holding it until now counts, and its ROI is more than 20000%.
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:49:11 PM

I know two things. So far none of those bubbles we saw were identical. This one will be different too. And I hope people didn't expected, they will become rich by investing in bitcoins that easy. You have to hold through this bubbles like early adopters did. Don't listen to trolls.

SuperHakka

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:02:26 PM

dudes, I is survivor from tech stock bubble of late 90's. I was reading sites like Motley Fool who were saying that Buy and Hold was the only strategy to go. What a fucking disaster! Now I know that buy and hold is a very weak strategy, mainly being that there is no clearly defined exit plan and no idea of time horizons either. do not listen to buy and hold spouters, they talking out their anus.

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
Salivan

Activity: 195
Merit: 102

DiMS dev team

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:13:24 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2013, 02:26:49 PM by Salivan

I know two things. So far none of those bubbles we saw were identical. This one will be different too. And I hope people didn't expected, they will become rich by investing in bitcoins that easy. You have to hold through this bubbles like early adopters did. Don't listen to trolls.
+1
BTC money apear very easy for people who invested nothing or near to nothing, They keep saying how fortunate I was ( When I expain that I enter market when price was considered very high, they  don't get it).

There is only one difference between us, I simply believe in system and this is hardest part for people to digest. I remember my path from disbelief to fascination. Now bitcoin is a part of my life.
Definitely I will be here to the very end  good or bad

dudes, I is survivor from tech stock bubble of late 90's. I was reading sites like Motley Fool who were saying that Buy and Hold was the only strategy to go. What a fucking disaster! Now I know that buy and hold is a very weak strategy, mainly being that there is no clearly defined exit plan and no idea of time horizons either. do not listen to buy and hold spouters, they talking out their anus.
buy and hold  dosn't  necesserly imply  that  you can't secure part of your profit
It  imply  that  you do not try  to desperetly  find  peaks  and  bottoms adding  to  volatily of the market
I  consider myself  buy and  hold  albait  I  have  some  play  money  and  I  alredy get some of my fiat profits
I will never transfer all my  btc  to  fiat, if anything I will trade them for another  crypto, this  make my buy and hold
panck4beer

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:32:32 PM

So far buying even at ATH was very profitable after 1 year. Now we have 1/2 price of ATH, so buying now is definitively the way to go

Qbeczeq

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:32:47 PM

Who believe that high price will not back? Demand on BTC still will take some time.
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:38:52 PM

A true long time holder buys a Lambo when he's sad.

And not even for himself, but for his girlfriend.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
ajax3592

Activity: 210

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:39:21 PM

OP wants cheap coins, giving a shot at creating panic to bring levels below $400 where he sold his coins..hehe

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:42:45 PM

Weeks?  Weeks takes us into January.  I expect a new ATH in January.  We'll see about weeks.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
WompRat

Activity: 232

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:55:10 PM

You would have been very lucky if you cashed out of the tech bubble at the top.  Very few professionals managed it and many saw devastating losses, but at the same time, if you were playing the long game and investing gradually, you would have bought at the top, but also bought at the bottom.  To take one example, ARM shares peaked at about £1000 in 2001 and dropped all the way to about £50.  It took 12 years, but they topped £1000 again this year and reached a new high.  You could have been investing in a tech fund that took advantage of that growth and the growth of Google, Amazon, Apple and others, compounding interest for the last 10 years, or you could have sold at a loss, licked your wounds and tried something else, but that's always the choice.

I welcome any links to empirical studies that show that there is a better strategy for a long term investor than 'buy and hold'.  I try to keep an open mind, but prefer an evidence based investment strategy.
SuperHakka

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:57:54 PM

You would have been very lucky if you cashed out of the tech bubble at the top.  Very few professionals managed it and many saw devastating losses, but at the same time, if you were playing the long game and investing gradually, you would have bought at the top, but also bought at the bottom.  To take one example, ARM shares peaked at about £1000 in 2001 and dropped all the way to about £50.  It took 12 years, but they topped £1000 again this year and reached a new high.  You could have been investing in a tech fund that took advantage of that growth and the growth of Google, Amazon, Apple and others, compounding interest for the last 10 years, or you could have sold at a loss, licked your wounds and tried something else, but that's always the choice.

I welcome any links to empirical studies that show that there is a better strategy for a long term investor than 'buy and hold'.  I try to keep an open mind, but prefer an evidence based investment strategy.
fuck me I bought ARM shares back in 1998 but fed up and sold them 2 years ago.

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: