Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:13:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't get BFL jally / 5Gh/s to work with cgminer using winusb  (Read 1320 times)
kidtriton (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:07:11 PM

I just got my 5Gh/s miner today and using Win 7 64bit I was able to plug it in, it installed itself automatically (on a Com port) and I could start mining just fine with bfgminer.  

I want to use cgminer (mainly to use the java API stats to see what my unit looks like) and followed everything I can find on using zadig to replace the drivers with the winusb drivers but every version of cgminer I've tried says "No USB devices detected.  Waiting for USB hotplug devices or press q to quit".  It shows up in device manager as a USB device as BitFORCE SHA256 SC and everything there looks textbook from what I've read.

I've actually moved through 3 different laptops with Win 7 64bit on them and they do the same, first time I plug it up it works fine with bfgminer, I replace the drivers with zadig and then it's nothing after that with either bfgminer or cgminer.  What am I missing here?

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kidtriton (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 03:17:57 PM

Bump for help, or should this be moved to the Mining Software forum?
vpasic

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 04:05:19 PM

in Device manager is it recognized as device?
also on the zadig screen click options tab and select " list all devices" jalapeno looks "usb serial converter" select it and re-install driver.

Tips: 1Ejj8eANy2PLZVwrWUczkbQ8kQY2JhKqp6
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 08:00:31 PM

Also after it's configured properly some people find unplugging and plugging helps and windows people find rebooting helps further.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
kidtriton (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:10:24 PM

I've plugged, unplugged, booted, rebooted on three different computers and it does show up correctly on all of them but cgminer just says it's waiting for hotplug devices.  I can post screen shots later of all the steps I take, how it shows up, etc.  

I can also choose uninstall from device manager, let it get redetected by windows and it gets a Com port assigned again and goes back to working in bfgminer.

I do IT work for a living but not afraid to admit I am most likely missing something obvious, haha.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 08:14:22 PM

I've plugged, unplugged, booted, rebooted on three different computers and it does show up correctly on all of them but cgminer just says it's waiting for hotplug devices.  I can post screen shots later of all the steps I take, how it shows up, etc.  

I can also choose uninstall from device manager, let it get redetected by windows and it gets a Com port assigned again and goes back to working in bfgminer.

I do IT work for a living but not afraid to admit I am most likely missing something obvious, haha.
Ah in that case, you're probably afflicted by the usb3 incompatibility with the WinUSB driver. If you have a usb2 port, plug it into that.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
kidtriton (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:20:08 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 12:39:59 AM by kidtriton

Oh no, the computers are Dell 6430u and two E7440, only have USB3 ports and are super low power consumption compared to what I have that's USB 2.  So I wonder if I could uninstall the USB3 chipset drivers or somehow disable USB3 and get it to work, or is it more down to the hardware level?

This E7440 only uses 5w when the display isn't lit (compared to a E6410 at 18w that's running 18 block erupters) and I'd really like to use it for the BFL and 18 block erupters.  I'm using cgminer 3.1.1 on that 6410 with USB3 hubs (it's a USB2 computer) using the //com/ switches but like I said I'd love to move over to the 7440.  Is there a version of cgminer that will run the BFL and BEs using the com ports?  (Or better yet if I could kill USB3 on the 7440 and make the winusb way work with a new version)

And finally, I know you are the one behind cgminer so what are the reasons I want to be running it vs bfgminer?  I've read something about it using less CPU to do the same hashing so if that's true will that save me power and what are any other advantages?
kidtriton (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 11:40:38 PM

So... I pulled out a E6420, which is the first Latitude with USB3, but in device manager the USB root hubs were not listed quite like the 6430u and E7440 so I tried it.  It worked as instructed, I plugged in the BFL, let it install the drivers, ran zadig, changed it to winusb, restarted and cgminer recognizes it.  I ran the java API stats and found out my unit has two processors with only 11 engines working on each with a theoretical max of 6072 and already has been hashing at 6GH/s overnight with bfgminer so that lets me know not to worry about getting a AVR Dragon to change anything...

I'm going to mess around and see if I can do anything to kill off the USB3 on the E7440 and get the winusb to work in cgminer, so any advice or experience is still appreciated and any pros and cons of cgminer over bfgminer is welcome also as I want to run the one that's going to give me the best results with 18 BE and this BFL 5GH/s attached.  And I still haven't decided whether I want to run the 18 BEs in one instance and the BFL in another and have two workers where I can stop one without the other and count their stats independently or just run them all together in one miner instance and have one worker with everything combined.  
kidtriton (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:07:59 PM

Got it working on the E7440, it was as easy as disabling USB3 in the BIOS.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: