Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:39:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the real problem with bitcoin  (Read 1573 times)
JohnBlack (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:00:54 AM

The main weakness of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies at the moment is that they are distributed systems depending on centralized ones (I am looking at you, banking account) that will probably try to fight them, sooner or later, in order to keep their power.

The only solution would be something that has come up repeatedly from time to time on this very forum and on many others, a decentralized bitcoin exchange (if possible integrated into the client, you don't want a website that can go down for that) based on a web of trust (a la http://bitcoin-otc.com/) and including integrated escrow capabilities.

Such a system would allow people to convert fiat into btc by doing regular transactions between individuals, thus drastically reducing any possibility of regulation, or hack for that matter, that could have a negative impact on the price, less FUD, on the other hand, could probably mean a more stable price over the long run.

ps. I don't see Ripple as being a solution, there is no need to add another crypto to the mix in my view

What do you think? Is there anything like that on the roadmap? Is there any credible project out there as far as you know?

beers: 13PKLWBw4SvXk8QQ9dfGkuET3Msw5idNEU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Reece523

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:11:39 AM

If Bitcoin continues to gain in popularity, maybe even Local Bitcoins itself will allow for people to avoid having to deal with banks.
JohnBlack (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:15:50 AM

If Bitcoin continues to gain in popularity, maybe even Local Bitcoins itself will allow for people to avoid having to deal with banks.

except that it is still a centralized website, that can go down or be hacked, such a capability should be built right into the client in my opinion

betyourbits

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 02:17:35 AM

Great point.. I think a decentralized exchange should be possible, I just don't know how the originating fiat will transfer between users without a bank though.  We could mail it to each other using carrier pigeons Smiley
Imahara

Activity: 61

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:20:19 AM

http://LocalBitcoins.com

works for me...
JohnBlack (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:23:21 AM

Great point.. I think a decentralized exchange should be possible, I just don't know how the originating fiat will transfer between users without a bank though.  We could mail it to each other using carrier pigeons Smiley

the idea is that the system would facilitate and increase standard transactions among individuals, so there would be no way to know that a bank transfer was made to buy bitcoins, something which is very easy to spot and regulate if the account holder is MtGox instead.

taltamir

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:35:40 AM

Is there a way to receive bitcoin AS cash?

That is, mow the lawn for someone and get bitcoin. Sell a used video card on craiglist and get bitcoin. Taxi cap someone and earn bitcoin. etc?
betyourbits

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 02:44:48 AM

the idea is that the system would facilitate and increase standard transactions among individuals, so there would be no way to know that a bank transfer was made to buy bitcoins, something which is very easy to spot and regulate if the account holder is MtGox instead.

Ah okay, that makes sense.  So we really just need a bittorrent like client application to facilitate p2p trading of bitcoin with wire transfers.
taltamir

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:48:54 AM

Ah okay, that makes sense.  So we really just need a bittorrent like client application to facilitate p2p trading of bitcoin with wire transfers.

The "tone" of your post suggests you are being sarcastic and such a thing exists already.
Am I misunderstanding? If not, what is it called?
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:54:29 AM

Works for me too. I sell a lot to people using methods like BofA instant transfer. The caveat is that you must trust the buyer and make sure he is not someone who is paying you with a stolen bank account.
JohnBlack (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:02:25 AM

Works for me too. I sell a lot to people using methods like BofA instant transfer. The caveat is that you must trust the buyer and make sure he is not someone who is paying you with a stolen bank account.

you are right that is a problem you could run into when dealing directly with individuals, on the other hand nobody has still any idea about the real owners of btc-e, a very well known "standard" exchange as we speak.

my point is that capabilities like those of localbitcoins should be integrated with a trading engine like that of a standard exchange (bitstamp,..) and made part of the client itself, thus avoiding any need to rely on a website for the trading to happen.

If such a system would have been in place now we wouldn't have seen such a negative reaction from china, unless their government decided to ban bank transfers altogether, which is quite unlikely if you ask me.

qiwoman

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:28:55 AM

I think personally we need to build infrastructures away from the mainstream gas and oil suburbia like small micro communities dedicated to cryptos and BTC. If we had small vibrant little village communities all using Bitcoin and mining and living off the grid and sustainable I think it would work for the true benefit of humankind As long as BTC is just in the hands of Ruthless Speculators and not adopted enough by the Mainstream folks it is intended for then yes I believe there will be more volatility and problems
taltamir

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:32:58 AM

I think personally we need to build infrastructures away from the mainstream gas and oil suburbia like small micro communities dedicated to cryptos and BTC. If we had small vibrant little village communities all using Bitcoin and mining and living off the grid and sustainable I think it would work for the true benefit of humankind As long as BTC is just in the hands of Ruthless Speculators and not adopted enough by the Mainstream folks it is intended for then yes I believe there will be more volatility and problems

Historically this just lead to violence from the establishment as the reconquer such communities
JohnBlack (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:37:19 AM

bitcoin should integrate its trading engine in order to go truly mainstream in my view, if people could be safe from uncertain regulation or disappearing/hackable exchanges I am sure they would buy lots more and eventually even switch to it.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 12:49:26 AM

We might be able to eliminate the localbitcoins single point of failure by employing bitmessage. I don't know much about that system, but it seems to me that bids and asks, each with country and mail/zip codes, and public key could be published on a dedicated chan. Interested partied could contact the publishers of the bid-or-ask-price/zip/public-key at that public key, in order to meet or otherwise consummate the transaction. Just speculating, though.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
zagerfish

Activity: 37

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 05:59:41 AM

you could have a decentralized exchange but it would have to use visa or mastercard or paypal or something.

I'm not really sure how you would do it without using a bank, unless it was a physical cash payment.

Activity: 484
Merit: 250

HubrisOne

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 06:51:31 AM

yes, this is a problem, but I think mtgox & lakebtc  etc  is solving it.

◆

▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄▄            ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██       ██      ██       ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄      ██      ▐██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▄▄██▀▀▀██▄▄        ▀██▄     ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀       ██      ██       ██              ██               ██      ██      ██              ██▀       ▀██         ██▄    ██      ▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██      ██       ██      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀      ██      ▐██▄▄▄▄        ▐█           █▌      █▄ ▀██   ██      ██▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██      ██       ██      ██▀▀▀▀▀██        ██▀▀▀▀▀▀        ██        ▀▀▀▀██▄      ▐█           █▌      ██   ██▄ ██      ██▀▀▀▀
██       ██      ██       ██      ██      ██       ██   ▄▄         ██             ▐█▌     ▐█▄         ▄█▌      ██    ▀█▄██      ██
██       ██       ██▄   ▄██       ██     ▄█▀       ██    ▀█▄       ██            ▄██       ▀██▄▄   ▄▄██▀       ██     ▀███      ██
██       ██        ▀▀███▀▀        ████████▀        ██      ▀█      ██      ███████▀           ▀▀███▀▀          ██       ██      ██████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████

▄███████████▄     
██▀       ▐█▀█▄   
██        ▐█  ▀█▄ 
██        ▐█    ▀█▄
██        ▝▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██               ██
██  ███████████  ██
██               ██
██  ██████       ██
██               ██
██▄             ▄██