Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:39:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About those USB Block Eruptors  (Read 741 times)
williamj2543 (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 02:44:50 AM

Hey guys,
I just wanted to share my opinions on those USB block erupters you can buy on amazon for 50$. Most of them generate around 333mh/s. Here's where my opinion starts. These are completely stupid and absurd. Do the math, these will never ever pay themselves back. Why the hell would you buy some random USB thing that gets hot for over 50$, and then have it never ever pay for itself. Do the math. Right now they make about 16 cents per day. In theory, if the difficulty and price stayed the exact same, it would take 4 years to make that money back. Of course there is the difficulty changes, so in a year that will probably mine absolutely nothing, maybe less than a cent a day. This would never ever pay for itself, so my advice to the people that are thinking of buying this: STAY AWAY  Angry

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shackleford

Activity: 281
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:43:07 AM

Hey guys,
I just wanted to share my opinions on those USB block erupters you can buy on amazon for 50$. Most of them generate around 333mh/s. Here's where my opinion starts. These are completely stupid and absurd. Do the math, these will never ever pay themselves back. Why the hell would you buy some random USB thing that gets hot for over 50$, and then have it never ever pay for itself. Do the math. Right now they make about 16 cents per day. In theory, if the difficulty and price stayed the exact same, it would take 4 years to make that money back. Of course there is the difficulty changes, so in a year that will probably mine absolutely nothing, maybe less than a cent a day. This would never ever pay for itself, so my advice to the people that are thinking of buying this: STAY AWAY  Angry

Dam never seen a post like this before you must be a genius.
williamj2543 (OP)

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 03:47:30 AM

Im being serious was that sarcasm? I'm guessing it was  Huh

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:55:06 AM

Those sold for 6 bucks few months back, people sell them for this much because other people are morons. and can't do simple math like you just did.

If someone's willing to pay me $500 for a sandwich. Who am I to say no?
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:07:19 AM

This thread is so mid-2013... which is an eternity in BTC time, lol.

No semi-knowledgable miner is buying these anymore, just clueless noobs and (VERY) late-adopters.  But there are also very few options for the bitcoin curious to get involved with mining.  Let's call it a "gateway miner", like "gateway drugs".  And before the bitcoin price explosion, USB Erupters were selling for virtually nothing.

Full disclosure...
I have 70 of those little buggers still hashing away all snug in their hubs.  But they were just gateway miners for me.  I did some GPU mining before but the USB Erupters were so much easier to grow with and got me hooked.  Then came Blades, Bitfury boards, BFL Singles, KNC, AntMiner, etc.
shackleford

Activity: 281
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:37:04 AM

The exchange rate of btc is always the wild card and if you say you know something is or isn’t going to be “profitable” in this btc game you’re fooling yourself.  Looking back even CPU was probably “profitable” long after it was declared dead at today exchange rates.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1688.0

That's right it took a few weeks to solve a block(50btc) with a CPU and the function was getting removed from the client because it was "pointless".

100’s like this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3994.0
madcratebuilder

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 01:45:54 PM

The exchange rate of btc is always the wild card and if you say you know something is or isn’t going to be “profitable” in this btc game you’re fooling yourself.  Looking back even CPU was probably “profitable” long after it was declared dead at today exchange rates.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1688.0

That's right it took a few weeks to solve a block(50btc) with a CPU and the function was getting removed from the client because it was "pointless".

100’s like this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3994.0

+10

I was fortunate to buy usb be's at $7 so I have made my roi, but now that I'm in the "profit" side the difficulty has made that a very slow process.
miter_myles

Activity: 742

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 03:05:44 PM

Hey guys,

Dam never seen a post like this before you must be a genius.

lol, this +1

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: