Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:35:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: greed is good?  (Read 1893 times)
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 06:26:28 AM

Seems rather subjective.  Do I need a TV?  I own one, so does that make me greedy?  What about a computer?
Owning a TV or PC is not necessarily greedy when the living standards of your society make it basically mandatory to have a computer for research and other tasks. A TV is an important tool for communication and entertainment (which is very important). Now if you had a TV in every room you might be getting a little bit greedy. The resources and labor that went into that could have been used for people who actually need a TV, or perhaps if there wasn't such a large demand for things people don't actually need we wouldn't need to tear down forests and destroy the environment at such a rapid pace. Greed always has a consequence, that is why it's "greedy".

I disagree.  TV's are completely unimportant and I think having even one is greedy.  There are far better ways to entertain yourself: read a book, play a board game, work out, play online games or take up a hobby.  You don't need TV for communication either, as you can get all your news from the internet more efficiently and with a broader diversity of views and opinions.  The resources from your TV would be better spent building computers for people who don't have them and need one for entertainment and communication. 
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 07:46:22 AM

Can you explain to us how you get to this judgements? When Im in a situation how can I know if me or someone else is being greedy? Whats the rule?
Didn't your mother ever tell you "stop being greedy and share with the other kids"? You will know when you are being greedy. It's just something you will know and sense. And don't don't tell me you don't understand.

Isnt this the base of authoritarism? What I feel is right, is right, and violence is justified to impose it on others.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
Anonymous

August 17, 2011, 07:19:10 PM

Seems rather subjective.  Do I need a TV?  I own one, so does that make me greedy?  What about a computer?
Owning a TV or PC is not necessarily greedy when the living standards of your society make it basically mandatory to have a computer for research and other tasks. A TV is an important tool for communication and entertainment (which is very important). Now if you had a TV in every room you might be getting a little bit greedy. The resources and labor that went into that could have been used for people who actually need a TV, or perhaps if there wasn't such a large demand for things people don't actually need we wouldn't need to tear down forests and destroy the environment at such a rapid pace. Greed always has a consequence, that is why it's "greedy".

I disagree.  TV's are completely unimportant and I think having even one is greedy.  There are far better ways to entertain yourself: read a book, play a board game, work out, play online games or take up a hobby.  You don't need TV for communication either, as you can get all your news from the internet more efficiently and with a broader diversity of views and opinions.  The resources from your TV would be better spent building computers for people who don't have them and need one for entertainment and communication. 
What makes your whims so objective? Who is really to define who needs and deserves what? Why are your desires so relevant when it comes to anothers property and resources?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 07:22:50 PM

Greed is good.

Rational greed that is. There's nothing wrong with striving to gain because it only builds society in the end. In order to gain valueone must provide something that is desired and thus valuable.

Greed is only irrational when it comes at the expense of others which is generally limited to looting, fraud and so forth. Otherwise, you are only making the pie of wealth greater for everyone.
+1, well put.
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 08:11:00 AM

What makes your whims so objective? Who is really to define who needs and deserves what? Why are your desires so relevant when it comes to anothers property and resources?

Exactly.

Go back and read the exchange between Bitfreak and I, and then come read the above post of mine again with a tone of irony.  Smiley
GideonGono

Activity: 1988
Merit: 501

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 11:43:09 AM

I think this is the first time I've ever seen Charlie Sheen sober (or at least look sober).  Tongue

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
lxFlasHxl

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 12:50:35 AM

greed is good. depending on how you achieve or do it.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: